Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 06:05:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WEC 2013  (Read 33332 times)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:17 pm »

Your absolutely dead on that, more than any other discipline of racing, sportscar racing is cyclical.  My gut feeling is that right now we're in that part of the cycle where pure prototypes are on the way out.  From my experience at recent ALMS rounds, there just doesn't seem to be much interest in the LMP cars, from either a competitor, or enthusiast perspective.  For most of the ALMS rounds this year, they had three or four LMP1 cars at best, and a bunch of LMP spec cars.  In the paddock, all the spectator buzz was around the GT machinery, with little attention being paid to the Pickett Racing Aston, or Dyson Lola's.  I haven't been to a WEC round, or a race abroad in several years now, I'm basing my opinion purely on what I see over here.  This were my belief that a silhouette formula would work on this side of the Atlantic, Europe may very well be something completely different.  Its always seemed that North America, and Europe have had different ideas about the direction for sportscar racing, the ALMS-ACO alliance being very much the exception, not the rule.
Fax
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:30:50 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2012, 05:23:41 am »

Incidentally, in the expression Hooray and up she rises, does anyone know what is it exactly that rises up?

Given the song is (allegedly) about male impotence I'm sure can work that out for yourself.   Wink

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2012, 06:57:28 pm »

Incidentally, in the expression Hooray and up she rises, does anyone know what is it exactly that rises up?

Given the song is (allegedly) about male impotence I'm sure can work that out for yourself.   Wink

Dx

It’s about a sailor who had too much to drink probably during his last/previous night shore leave and is in need of A) sobering up (throw water over him) and B) punishing (put him in the long boat) a boat that was pulled behind the main sailing ship used as a landing craft, life boat, or place to store valuables during a battle- this was a recognised form of punishment (isolation) during the mid-18th century. The ‘up she rises’ is a reference to the sailors need to vomit - probably as a result of over imbibing rather than the influences of a turbulent ocean – though both may contribute to this of course. Don't remember there being any implied suggestion/reference to his ability or otherwise to sustain a hard on?? But what do I know.  
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »

Camera policy at Austin for the F1 this year : http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012/09/no-cameras-allowed-at-us-gp.html

If they do the same at the WEC next year, they can put their race up their a**.   Saves me an expensive trip.
FIA bastards !

Well, apparently they've changed their policy ... no restrictions anymore.
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/prohibited-items

Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:09 pm »

Where pictures and video are concerned, I think that circuits and race series are never going to hold back the tide. Technology has surpassed any practical means of controlling it, and anyway, allowing race fans to take home their own pictures or video isn't going to reduce their revenue from an event in the smallest amount. Shooting from public areas doesn't impact upon TV or professional photographers in the slightest. When this kind of rule is imposed it generally originates from some numpty official with a bug up his bum. All I ask is that instead of wasting money on pointless "camera police" in the fan areas, that circuits should raise the level of track-side security so that I don't have some eejit with a camera phone and no photo credential shoving his stupid arm into my shot just as the winning car crosses the finish line.

Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2012, 12:35:03 am »

All I ask is that instead of wasting money on pointless "camera police" in the fan areas, that circuits should raise the level of track-side security so that I don't have some eejit with a camera phone and no photo credential shoving his stupid arm into my shot just as the winning car crosses the finish line.

And/or maybe review their credential policy.  It's pretty frustrating sometimes being behind the fence, not being able to get any credentials & then seeing some nitwit walking around with credentials and a point & shoot camera in hand or something like a Rebel XT with a kit lens on it.

Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2012, 08:39:36 am »

It depends on the circuit's policy for trackside access. Sometimes the writers are allowed track-side with their press credential as well as the pro photographers. When you see people with dinky toy cameras, that is probably the reason. Having said that, I too am often amazed at the decisions made in granting photo credentials. You can add to the bargain basement numpties, the contingent of "all the gear and no idea" rich kids who buy all the pro gear and set it all to 'auto' in the hope that shooting 20 frames of each car as it passes might yield one usable image.

All I ask is that instead of wasting money on pointless "camera police" in the fan areas, that circuits should raise the level of track-side security so that I don't have some eejit with a camera phone and no photo credential shoving his stupid arm into my shot just as the winning car crosses the finish line.

And/or maybe review their credential policy.  It's pretty frustrating sometimes being behind the fence, not being able to get any credentials & then seeing some nitwit walking around with credentials and a point & shoot camera in hand or something like a Rebel XT with a kit lens on it.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2012, 10:38:03 pm »

You learn something new every day....I thought pro level kit didn't have the "auto" option..... turns out they do have that option....obviously as you say, for rich kids who want to play photographer.....

I would say though, that the kit you use does not dictate the ability or the credentials of the photographer.  I know a guy who started out using a Minolta Dynax Hybrid compact thing..... I'm sure he got some funny looks at the time...but his images were stunning.   He's a proper pro now, with all the right kit etc - but that's how he started out - and I'm pretty sure you'd all think his work was pretty awesome too.

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sűrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2012, 09:35:45 am »

I would say though, that the kit you use does not dictate the ability or the credentials of the photographer.  I know a guy who started out using a Minolta Dynax Hybrid compact thing..... I'm sure he got some funny looks at the time...but his images were stunning.   He's a proper pro now, with all the right kit etc - but that's how he started out - and I'm pretty sure you'd all think his work was pretty awesome too.

Brad does make a point, like everything else, it's not the equipment per-se but how you drive it. I'm sure as hell that my pap friends could take a better shot on an Canon/Minolta etc. point 'n' shoot than I could with a pro level EOS. Of course, before anyone points out that it's all in the glass (which indeed, much of it is, that's why pro optics are so expensive) it's also knowing how to frame 'that' perfect shot.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2012, 09:56:44 am »

In the days of film (remember film?) the phrase "all in the glass" was absolutely true. The camera was just a dark box between lens and film. These days, the 'film' is the sensor and you are stuck with what the manufacturer originally fitted.

Some of the best and most memorable pictures have been taken on fairly modest equipment. As the saying goes "the best camera is the camera you have with you". When I'm asked if it's worth investing in 'pro' equipment, my answer is simple. You can't buy your way to better pictures. Pro gear will make taking good pictures easier, but only when you have learned to use it properly. It is also designed to be much more durable than the 'prosumer' stuff which makes it slightly bulkier and considerably heavier, and that weight brings its own set of problems...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: