Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 03:41:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TVR changes hands  (Read 21908 times)
SteveZarse
CA Veteran

Probably the best llama in the world

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2004, 05:21:04 pm »

As you rightly say Ron, it's important to go armed with all the important facts when you go shopping.

If you talk about shopping trolleys then facts count.

I thought that's what I said Huh

TEAM ZARSE - It's our pleasure!
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2004, 05:35:02 pm »

I thought that's what I said Huh

That's alright then.   Grin

Note to self: Read and think before writing.  Roll Eyes

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2004, 05:38:11 pm »

i'd still have the TVR over the vette  - but as hgb said and i tried to allude to its down to emotions

but if i had a choice with no spending limit then i'd have an Aston Martin

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2004, 09:06:31 pm »

The fairest way to settle this is for someone to drive both cars back to back and compare.

Shocked Could not believe my eyes when Top Gear decided it might be a good idea to test the C6 against a TVR350 (amongst other cars) in a straight line last night.
For those who didn't see it, it was magnificent! Grin Grin The vette pulled off the line quickest by far, due to the other 3 cars having initial traction problems. The vette finished 3rd  Grin Grin Grin and the feeling of glee was overwhelming as the TVR went past it (soon after the start) like a train! Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Argue with that! Wink

I'm not entirely sure what there is to argue about. There also seem to be a few unknowns - example: over what distance? MN6 C6 isn't launched yet, so either pre-production (hardly representative) or A4 auto - which? Additionally, it's fairly common knowledge that Top Gear hate anything American and make no secret of their bias.
What point are you trying to make here? .....that the 350 is faster in part of a sprint than a C6 that isn't officially launched for another month and will definately have some creases to iron out? (C5 certainly did).
Your patriotic fervour does you credit. Rubbishing a car you don't like is your prerogative. Given that you are now so glee-filled, can we presume that you are now going to go out and buy one, given that it is such an excellent product - or do you just talk the talk?    

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2004, 10:26:48 pm »

As I drive a car with a large capacity engine from General Motors, of a V configuration and 8 cylinders, the valves being actuated by pushrods, I guess it's relatively simple to deduce where my partisanship lies.

(Bear in mind chaps that TVR's of only a few years ago ALSO had engines from General Motors, of a V configuration and 8 cylinders, the valves being actuated by pushrods - the Rover V8 in the Trevs was purchased from Buick after all - another Rover / AN Other joint venture Robbo).

Steve East Anglian cobras

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2004, 01:56:24 am »

Dave H

I would happliy have a spin in your car. My predeudice with Porsche isnt that something about the car doesnt really interest me, although the new Carrera GT does.

My personal choise would be a TVR, i would love a car like that . I am not interested in a ferrari ( some exceptions ) and i love the thought of buying british.

I was aware that the Rover V8 is a buick design, but it was a good un.

The Engine from my DIESEL MG is an Austin / Cummins or Perkins design - The L Series, heavily re-modded since its days in the Maestro Van !

The gearbox is a rover Design, origionally for the k Series - PG1 is called, Its also in the Landie freelander as is the engine.

Both developed by Powertrain, the transmission dept of MG R.

Although i shouldnt reallty be talking about my glorified shooping cart, its not a sports car, TVR or Vette, and will never sound like a V8, pushrod or not.

It does have Glow Plugs though  Grin
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 02:01:18 am by Robbo SPS » Logged

Take life by the horns and live it.
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2004, 08:30:06 am »

Initially, the Rover V8 is from BMW. Buick took over the design from BMW after WW2.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
SteveZarse
CA Veteran

Probably the best llama in the world

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2004, 10:52:26 am »

I'm not entirely sure what there is to argue about. There also seem to be a few unknowns - example: over what distance? MN6 C6 isn't launched yet, so either pre-production (hardly representative) or A4 auto - which? Additionally, it's fairly common knowledge that Top Gear hate anything American and make no secret of their bias.
What point are you trying to make here? .....that the 350 is faster in part of a sprint than a C6 that isn't officially launched for another month and will definately have some creases to iron out? (C5 certainly did).
Your patriotic fervour does you credit. Rubbishing a car you don't like is your prerogative. Given that you are now so glee-filled, can we presume that you are now going to go out and buy one, given that it is such an excellent product - or do you just talk the talk?    

???Woooaaaahh! I've not rubbished anything (except certain aspects of the TVR), and wouldn't do so just because I didn't like it! I put my half-penny worth in a couple of pages back, and have since been a mere observer while the debate raged on between your good self and my team mate Andy (very entertaining, btw).
This TopGear dragrace - I believe it was a quarter of a mile - seemed to contradict some of the points made in this thread. A common claim seems to have been that the vette is built for straight line speed but can't turn corners, while the TVR is the opposite. However true this maybe for previous models, topgear may just have proved a break in the trend. Not only did the TVR win the drag race, but around their test circuit, it was the vette which was the quicker (by 0.7secs). The guys on topgear even praised it up, saying that it really could go round corners well.
Seemed a fair test to me, as I can't see how you can improve significantly on a pre-production model with less than a month to it's release date.
As for buying one or the other, sadly I can only afford to 'talk the talk'. My first choice would definately be TVR (cerbera speed6, please), and I won't say I'd never consider a vette, but I'd have to get really, really, REALLY p!ssed off with Trev first. I dare say it's possible...

TEAM ZARSE - It's our pleasure!
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2004, 12:02:12 am »

I'm sure my maniacal defense has lead me to be a little brusque and over-protective. I apologise if I've overstepped the mark.
I cannot vouch for the C6 because I have yet to drive one - I would however re-iterate that Chevrolet do take a while to get a new incarnation of a Corvette running right. 97 and 98 C5's had a slew of development issues, the remedies of which made the car significantly better - and added 5 bhp.
I'm not very familiar with the TVR 350, it was released after I left the UK. The TVRs I have driven didn't quite do it for me - and one or two scared me.
I guess the question is, if push came to shove, given the right circumstances, would you buy one. For me, spooning out the kind of money that TVRs, Corvettes and the like cost, you need to be totally happy with the package. For my requirements, the Vette delivered more than the Tuscan (for me, that is...)

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2004, 04:47:59 am »

It does have Glow Plugs though  Grin

Wink
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2004, 09:24:49 am »

Initially, the Rover V8 is from BMW. Buick took over the design from BMW after WW2.

Not sure where you get that idea from HGB, the 'Rover' V8 was designed by Buick in the late fifties and first fitted in '62.
The entire tooling rights were bought by Rover's then MD William Martin-Hurst and so the legend was born.

http://austinrover.mg-rover.org/index.htm?engineroverv8f.htm.

Oh and PS, The Vette is nice but the new Mustang is nicer Wink Wink

Steve TTTD

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2004, 12:59:04 pm »

Posted by: A Zarse
PS Suzuki X7? Now you're talking! What a top piece of tackle that was in it's day.

Ah ,, memories - 1978 , the 1st bike i ever owned

Lucky you survived, that single tube downframe flexed like hell, a throw back to the Kwaka H1 and 2 days when bikes wouldn't go round corners. It even got bad press from the road testers. Wicked in a straight line though ; Cool
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2004, 01:14:18 pm »

You're right mate, nearly as bad as riding on the old FVQ dampers on the Hondas of the day. For those unaware FVQ was reckonned to stand for Fade Very Quickly... Sad

Oh and weren't the Kwaker triples housed in a twin tube duplex cradle? Should have been better than it was.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2004, 03:11:35 pm »

Yep they should have been, if the frame wasn't made of chocolate. The S frame on the 250/350/400 was a lot better, contary to folklore the S's and KH's handled quite well for the time, although riding my 250 straight after the Monster is a bit of a 25 year culture shock.
powermite
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2004, 09:11:18 am »

saying nothing!!How can i defend myself Matt?

* ta.jpg (40.36 KB, 500x375 - viewed 147 times.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: