Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 03:32:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator  (Read 22753 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2005, 02:08:20 pm »

I was looking on eBay last night with an interest in buying a small portable generator. There are some good bargains to be had. You can buy a 1kwa 2stroke jobby for about £80. But there are some 2.5kva ones for about £150. 2.5 kva is probably too much capacity for our little lot but if we were to share with someone, it might be worthwhile. There are obviously even more powerful ones available but you're talking fairly big money.

Does anyone have any views or ideas?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 02:26:34 pm »

Just ask Robbo about making sure that there's plenty of oil in the thing.  It won't start without the oil being at the proper level.  He had problems last year and we almost did an engine overhaul on the critter, still didn't fire up.  Later, Robbo discovered it to be a little low on oil.  Lesson:  don't forget the basics.
TonyT
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 02:48:48 pm »

I have seen some that are quieter than others. The last thing you want it a really noisy one, if you have the choice that is.

It's difficult to consider the noise levels of them when buying mail-order but it might be worth a question.

Tony

H: Any views on whether you prefer the quiet ones are better than the noisy ones?

Fax
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 03:03:28 pm »

Can't really speak for the Euro's but over here in the States generators in campsites at races are as common as hangovers, the drone of generators just comes with the scenery.  Most people use RV's (I think you guys call them caravan's) rather than tents and having electricity, hot water and AC make generators essential without electrical hook-ups.
Fax
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 03:10:22 pm »

Re noise levels, most seem to be about 65 to 70 decibels at 7 feet, which seems acceptable.

Fax, the Commer is an RV only this time it stands for Rubbish Vehicle. It's not AC, only DC, though I'm not sure I'd very much like a bit of AC/DC in there! All I want is something that will run an ice chest and a few lights.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Russ
CA Veteran

I think this is yours...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 03:12:05 pm »

RV's translate as 'Campervans'... Caravans are a whole different story and tend to be owned/pulled by a completely distinct type of person...  Roll Eyes

We have the use of my mates Campervan, and he comes equiped with a very quiet generator which sits behind the van and is barely noticable. I have noticed other's on the site which make like unlimited scooters such as those that sit just outside the burger vans...

Gaz's one, however, looks very camper friendly, surounded in plastic and not out of place on a family friendly site... stay clear of the one's looking more like the noisy part of a petrol lawn mower!

Fred Dibnah Memorial
Gland in the hand worth two in a Bush Tour 2007
Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 03:52:37 pm »

RV's translate as 'Campervans'... Caravans are a whole different story and tend to be owned/pulled by a completely distinct type of person...  Roll Eyes

Almost pressed the Report to moderator button there, just to see the reaction from Smokie, but I am sure he will be along at some point anyway Wink Wink

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
Fax
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 04:09:23 pm »

I would think that a 6.5 hp four stroke Briggs & Stratton would be more than enough to keep the lights running and the beer cold. I'm not sure about a two stroke, seems like it would be loud and smokie.
Fax
Russ
CA Veteran

I think this is yours...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 04:21:58 pm »

Almost pressed the Report to moderator button there, just to see the reaction from Smokie, but I am sure he will be along at some point anyway Wink Wink

Are you implying that Smokie isn't a man of 'distinction' ??  Grin

Fred Dibnah Memorial
Gland in the hand worth two in a Bush Tour 2007
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 04:24:41 pm »

Check out the 6 cylinder diesel, 110 Kva; that short run a few fridges quite happily. Not sure about the Dba rating though - might give the old Panoz a run for the money !

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 04:48:26 pm »

Makro have a 2.3kW with 2 x 240V sockets on offer from Wednesday at £199 + VAT.

It's the same one that we have and last year it ran a household fridge, medium sized chest freezer, four electric cool boxes, lights, TV, Video and occassionally the electric kettle without any problems!

We will have it again this year, but if everyone is interested in having a larger one to share then we'd probably be interested.

Don't forget of course that we then all need to be next to each other too as per IRW's suggestion!!
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 05:39:49 pm »

Lawks a mercy!
"do you like 'em noisy or quiet"
"AC or DC".
Beggars can't be choosers, but a little muffled sobbing is quite nice I think...
On the generator front though Andy, our team are going to be without a generator, and also the means to get one down there, ie no van this year. So keep me clued up with your research, I'm sure we could chip in and help.
Uncle Albert is taking his van, but he has every square inch mapped out in regimental style and won't hear any talk of foreign objects. Speaking of foreign objects, I reckon it's what you would expect from a man of Alberts military training, you don't get to shoot loads of Germans from up a tree unless you're pretty fastidious in your habits. (I apologise to any of our German friends who are tuning in, but this was during the war, and the man was only doing his duty, I know it's in pretty poor taste).
He used to get them right between the eyes.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 06:33:21 pm »

Caravans are a whole different story and tend to be owned/pulled by a completely distinct type of person...  Roll Eyes

'Scuse me???

Owning a caravan, I tend to suffer all kinds of similar jibes from mates. No-one seems to complain so much when they are gagging for a roof over their head when it's chucking it down!

Nowadays I only use the caravan once a year, for LM. When te=he kids were younger it was a cheap and easy way to get away for a weekend or two, as well as joining the usual throng on the M4/M5 down to Cornwall each summer. I don't miss that. (However unless I come up with a better idea, Mrs S wants to do that this year - just the two of us!!)

I'll admit that certain caravanners are a "distinct type of person" - I know some of them. So are some people who go motor racing. But actually most of them are almost human, and oddly enough, only spend a very small percentage of their driving time dragging an overweight box around - the rest of the time they are ordinary people like you and me, driving ordinary cars with added rear protection...and cursing caravan drivers!

btw - I just passed my Institute of Advanced Motorists thing. I suppose that confirms I'm distinct does it?

Pass my cloth cap then...

Smiley
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 11:58:07 pm »

I've already arranged a generator to hire for 90 euro's (no vat), it will deliver 6kW. We will get away with that Smiley

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 01:21:20 am »

Does anyone else remeber the noise from our 2kw version last year. Bloody noisy.

We are hireing a 3kva Silent version this time. This should run all out gubbins.

The 2kva last year did. TV, Sat < Stereo, 500watt Lighting rig, fridge, freezer, battery charger and a few twinkle lights. It died when the hair dryer started up..

2 stroke will require a little effort mixing in the oil. 4 stroke must be easy.

although you cant beat the smell of 2 stroke in the morning

Take life by the horns and live it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: