Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 06:23:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fave Car  (Read 7740 times)
Fax
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 08:12:26 pm »

Hmm...
In the seven years I've been to Le Mans I think the ORECA Dallara-Chryslers were probably my favorites, my clunker?  Probably the ORECA Vipers, just a little too truck-like for my taste.  If we want to talk about cars we've seen raced in person at any venue, I had the good fortune to see the almighty Porsche 917's in the early seventies but even those take a back seat to the factory McLaren Can-Am steamrollers with their thundering 8 litre Chevy's and evocative Gulf orange livery.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 08:28:41 pm »

early 80's 935J or K3 - you could feel the heat from the car as it went by & smell the fuel. The car was amazing to a school boy.
The grp 44 Jags. the white and green colour scheme has yet to be beaten in my view.

Mid - late 80's the Sauber Mercs or Lancia LC2's lovely looking cars.

90's - Ferrari F40 & Mclaren F1, sports cars like these  should still be racing today.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 08:30:32 pm »

Do these have to be Le-Mans cars??

both me and me dad have always liked the Jordan 198B - The 7up Green one.

In terms of at Le-Mans....

Loved the Silk Cut Jags - only saw them race in the legends race last year, but sat on top of one when I was about 12 at the Autosport Show.

The Bentley will live in my memory forever - they were just gorgeous and seemed to stand head and shoulders above the other machinery out there in both thier winning year, and the previous 2 when things didnt go QUITE so well......

The Aston is LOVELY - and this comes from someone who doesnt like the DB9 as a rule....

I too have a thing for the racing for holland Dome - and the TVR, but much more when they were purple....

The Batmobile was cool but i only actually managed to see that race properly last year....

My clunker....?  well the Lister Storm in Newcastle United colours was a pretty repulsive car in my opinion...... the Benneton B191 - Schumachers winning championship car.... and Im afraid to tell you  - for pure looks and in no way a reflection of thier heritage...- the morgan....

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 10:26:13 am »

I agree with Nordic on the F40, especially the Michael Ferte Pilot sponsored car with the blue paint job. I have a photo of my son sitting in the car while Michael Ferte explained the cockpit to him taken at Silverstone at a British Empre Trophy race in about 97/98. I liked the whole era of GT1 supercars with Mclaren F1s and Porsche GT1s but the F40 is the mutts' nuts for me.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 07:59:49 pm »

I have somewhat eclectic tastes (no, that doesn't mean I prefer a particular fench supermarket chain). I liked the spaceship-like Rondeau M482, ground-pounding Stenograph Chevrolet Camaro, Aston Martin Nimrod (and Ecosse 'pocket Nimrod') "Ol' Number 7" - Joest Newman/Taka Q 956, Porsche CK5, EMKA and each and every Corvette that has ever graced La Sarthe with it's presence.
The clunkers?
Venturi, Morgan Aero 8, TVR Bread Van, Lister Storm, Harrier (who remembers that one-lap wonder), that P.O.S. that Thorkold Thyrring used to trundle around in.

I do scratch my head about the Bentley however. Line one up against an Audi and they are - er, strikingly similar. For honest to goodness patriotism The Jaguar XJ220 stirred-up a little 'Land of Hope and Glory' in me.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 09:44:16 pm »

Its interesting that no one has mentioned the Audi R8 as a favorite.  For all of its success it seems a pretty souless creation.
I would loved to have seen the Silk Cats at Le Mans as well as the Sauber-Mercs. Being a patriotic lad I, like Matt have a soft spot for the Vettes.  Some fans select cars that have a particular exhaust note and I've never really found high revving screamers all that exciting, give me the harsh bark & crackle of a DFV or the rumble of a big Ford or Chevy V8.
Fax
grumpy
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2005, 01:06:10 am »

Fave - though the 1980s Jags were fine, I had a definite soft spot for the rumbly old Mercs.  I have always been a sucker for a V8.  Close second the sweet little Porsche 961, Germanically efficient.

Least fave - the disppointingly pointless WMs
patcollier
CA Veteran

anyone else raced the 2cv 24 hours?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005, 03:56:22 pm »

the first year of the marcos batmobile absolute crap cars but had that ability to makle you smile and cheer....
ecurie
CA Veteran

Speed limit ? What speed limit ?!?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 04:13:46 pm »

Orange De Tomaso Pantera in '94. Most unlikely.
Matra
CA Veteran

Boomshanka!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 05:31:46 pm »

My first time at La Sarthe was in 2000. So two cars that stick in my mind from then are the Olive Garden Lola B2K barge and the 'Speedy' red, white and blue Courage. Neither did much, but they looked good.

I always had a soft spot for the Ascaris. I can remember in 2001 standing on the Tertre Rouge embankment at 2am, getting drenched, pouring Kronenbourg down my gullet, while the Ascaris kept on blatting past lapping faster than anyone else.  Cheesy

Shame that they jacked it in soon after...
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 10:00:18 pm »

Mazda 787 - ouch my ears....  Great looking car, who would have thought orange and lime green would go.  

Also XJR14, so sexy, it'd put a horn on a jellyfish  Tongue

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: