Club Arnage
May 09, 2024, 09:31:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1041633 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13:30 pm »

...oh and check out what rubber he was running... inspection confirmed my initial thoughts; the man is an idiot. He had mixed a Roadian with a Goodwear on the front axle and the back was shod with Long March from the Qingdao Odyking Tyre Company, the other side with Shandong Wanda Boto-X, which as we all know, is a recipe for disaster....

My goodness Carruthers, the outcome is hardly surprising with that lethal cocktail.  I suppose that the spare (if, indeed one was being carried at the time) was shod with a part-worn Wangling Crossply?  Looking at the scene from the pictures, I suspect that the Kia will probably get pressed back into service soon, complete with a full frontal natural ventilation system - which is more than could be said for most of the breeze blocks.....

MG Mark       

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:45 pm »

I love the Autosnap (and the fact that it's "fully automatic"!).
If it wasn't fully automatic it would, I assume, be at least semi-automatic. Then they'd have to call it the Semisnap.

When I was fourteen I had to go to the doctors with semi snap. I'd recently taken up smoking as a hobby, and co-incidentally, other less wholesome activities too.

The odd thing about that truck crash is an american pal turned up to see the wreck. We arranged to go out to dinner and he asked if he could bring along a friend, who he said was "into racing cars and sh*t". Sure, i said. The friend turned out to be Lawrence Tomlinson, who won GT2 in the little Panoz and is boss of Ginetta and Zytec. We had a very jolly evening in a Dutch restaurant and then he dropped us home. So I got a lift back with a LM class winner. Which was nice.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 22, 2011, 05:48:11 pm »

Andy,

Had a slow drive past at the weekend and there's no rear axle, infact no wheels. There is a whole section of  timber running round the Commer, so I guess the owner is hidding some top secret "skunk works" development work on the chassis. It is on the side of the A51 you know Wink Grin

Jules
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 23, 2011, 10:02:57 am »

Thanks for looking Jules!

I've got someone coming to look at the Commer tomorrow  Sad

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2119 on: March 23, 2011, 12:51:16 pm »

Thanks for looking Jules!

I've got someone coming to look at the Commer tomorrow  Sad

No     Don't do it Andy     Shocked

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 23, 2011, 01:41:42 pm »

Don't do it Andy. Selling the Alfa was the second biggest mistake of my life and I'm now once again dragging another back from the brink to fill the void. Think long and hard before you let it go!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2121 on: March 23, 2011, 01:52:06 pm »

Please keep the commer! It's a legend, a Le Mans Monument! I was planning to give it a mention in the next CA guide

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 23, 2011, 08:10:26 pm »

Don't do it Andy. Selling the Alfa was the second biggest mistake of my life and I'm now once again dragging another back from the brink to fill the void. Think long and hard before you let it go!

Wot he said.  Plus, unless you're that hard up for readies, where's the need? It's not as though you spend lavishly on her anyway, so disposable income won't increase one iota.  The only plus side would be further activity on the thread to a) match the thread title bring as to what modern crap you would get to replace her b) berate you for selling her c) discuss, in graphic detail, the horrific revenge that the Curse of the Commer will visit upon your frail, weak body and mind.     

MG Mark       

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2123 on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:31 pm »

How about forming a "preservation group" to buy and keep the old girl?

Surely there are enough CA members who'd cough up some readies to buy, restore/maintain and then run the Commer?

Being a comparative noob it may be that this has been suggested before, but not in any posts I've seen. Apology if it had been suggested previously.

Crouch..........bind..........set
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 23, 2011, 09:07:20 pm »

I did suggest to Jo about buying her, and got threatened with divorce papers. Sad
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:11 am »

Surely there are enough CA members who'd cough up some readies to buy, restore/maintain and then run the Commer?

Being a comparative noob it may be that this has been suggested before, but not in any posts I've seen. Apology if it had been suggested previously.

I would donate to keep her in the family for sure, and put in some restoration work to boot. Don't ask me to drive it from Northumberland to Le Sarthe though (and this, I suspect is the reason for Andy selling up- its damn slow).

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2126 on: March 24, 2011, 10:47:07 am »

I would donate to keep her in the family for sure, and put in some restoration work to boot. Don't ask me to drive it from Northumberland to Le Sarthe though (and this, I suspect is the reason for Andy selling up- its damn slow).

Great idea, keep it in the family.

as for slow. Andy must have seen this on Commer van forum -

http://66.129.69.181/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=766

a Commer with a Vauxhall engine -

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 24, 2011, 05:07:50 pm »

thats brilliant Smiley

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 24, 2011, 07:54:31 pm »

He said he'll let me know at the weekened...

I appreciate the sentiments chaps, I dug her out and washed her off and I'd be lying if I said there wasn't at least a twinge of nostalgia for Le Mans past. Terrible things have happened in and around her... but there's a lot needs doing to her, and I think I'd still rather she went to a good home. Sad

The other compication is that my girlfriend (Dutch, met her at a DfH meet in Holland in 09! Wink ) wants a classic car when she moves to England later in the year. So whilst she's happy to do up the Commer, it's starting to get ridiculous with a classic bike, (and hopefully a modern bike later in the year) a classic tractor, a classic camper and a classic car! You can't have it all I suppose.

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:33 pm »

The other compication is that my girlfriend (Dutch, met her at a DfH meet in Holland in 09! Wink ) wants a classic car when she moves to England later in the year. So whilst she's happy to do up the Commer, it's starting to get ridiculous with a classic bike, (and hopefully a modern bike later in the year) a classic tractor, a classic camper and a classic car! You can't have it all I suppose.
[/quote]
Are we to assume the mystery girlfriend is a "classic" as well???
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: