Club Arnage
May 08, 2024, 02:58:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Le Mans first-timer for 2004  (Read 7154 times)
devilsfood44
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2004, 04:30:20 am »

Greetings!

This will be my first time at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I'm coming from Wisconsin, USA (about an hour northwest of Road America, so you know where I spend most of my summers!). I've found the maps and info on this forum to be very useful so far. I had a couple other questions ...

I'm staying in Tours. I'm planning (well, hoping) on arriving at the track as early as possible on Saturday. Anyone know what the train situation is like headed to Tours after the race? I already have a Rail Pass; should I also make a reservation?

I'm bringing two cameras; one digital and one film. Is there a place at or near the track where I can buy extra film if I need it? (This shouldn't be an issue, but you never know.)

I may have misread this, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall reading something on the Le Mans Web site about bus service from the track to the city on Sunday, but the buses stopped some time before the end of the race. If that's true, what's the best way to get back to the city (or more specifically, the train station) after the race?

Other than that, I think I'm good to go. My tickets finally arrived today (at least I think so; I got a note from the post office saying I have something waiting that was sent via registered mail, so that has to be it). I'm very much looking forward to the trace. This is gonna be memorable, that's for sure.

Thanks for your help! Look forward to seeing you all there!
-- Eric from Wisconsin

dryhen
CA Veteran

Bedford CF Challenger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 07:34:02 am »

Welcome aboard, devilsfood44 , are the other 43 coming as well ? !
Trains - there's a direct line to Tours from Le Mans, and the closest station to the circuit on that line is Arnage, which is about 30 mins walk away (depending what part of the circuit you start from !). Don't know times, I'm afraid. A reservation seems sensible.

Cameras - No worries about films. There are loads of places in the circuit Village that sell them, as well as places like Carrefour (hypermarket) where prices are much lower.

Busses - You were probably reading about the free Shuttle Busses that  ferry people around and about the circuit while the race is on. These do stop pretty quickly after 4pm Sunday, but Le Mans is a big city and I can't see you having any difficulty getting back to the Station, either by Bus, Taxi or one of the new-found friends you will make while watching the race - just say you are an American from Wisconsin and someone will take pity on you !!

Have a great time  Smiley Smiley Smiley

The older I get, the faster I was.
JBP
CA Veteran

I'm a Danish llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 11:25:57 am »

Hi Eric and welcome to LM  Wink

- It's not possible to make any reservations at this time, all is booked...
- Depending on the kind of film You use, I will say as "dryhen", buy them from a supermarket, or if You uses professional film - bring them from home, You'll only to buy ISO100-200's at the circuit
- If I were You I would rent a car (a bit more expensive than in the states), so You won't have any worries about catching a bus or a cab, but keep in mind that there are a lot of people going to the track at saturday and even more leaving sunday.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 08:17:30 am »

Hi Eric,
          From Le Mans Train station(Gare) there is a special bus to the track . it runs frequently. It stops and returns from the main gates at the track so real easy.
I would recommend a reservation for the train. Do not get off at Arnage, as it is your first trip, and there is no bus or taxi at Arnage station.
Canada Phil
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 12:21:39 pm »

Hi Eric,
          From Le Mans Train station(Gare) there is a special bus to the track . it runs frequently. It stops and returns from the main gates at the track so real easy.
I would recommend a reservation for the train. Do not get off at Arnage, as it is your first trip, and there is no bus or taxi at Arnage station.
Canada Phil

Le Mans - Tours is quite not an international line, so reservation is pretty not required because it's not a TGV but an omnibus...

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 03:32:03 pm »

Eric,  I will be leaving after the race finish for the LeMans Gare and will be going at 8:00pm for CDG airport in Paris.  I did get reservations for that trip because of so many people leaving after the race.  I would think it would be pretty crowed.   Hope to see another "Yank" at the Champaign Bar at 9 on Sat. night.
Thanks for the info Canada Phil, I wasn't sure about the shuttle bus to and from the track from the train station.  However, can they get thru the traffic after the race?Huh
John Evans
Texas
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 06:53:30 pm »

You can get through the traffic easily enough as the majority of the cars are on specifiied routes out the city, not through it.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 08:35:56 pm »

Hi Johnevans3,
                       You will be fine with an 8:00pm train. I would head for the bus soon after the finish though as there are some bars just across the street from the Gare you will be able to sit and enjoy the atmosphere and perhaps have something to eat before getting on the train. See you at the shampoo bar saturday 9:00pm
Canada Phil
devilsfood44
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 03:31:01 am »

Thanks a bunch guys, you've all been quite helpful. I got an e-mail from Rail Europe saying exactly what Gilles said about not needing reservations between Le Mans and Tours, so that's good to know. Also found the SETRAM Web site by accident and I see that they're offering bus service from the track to the city until 6 p.m. on Sunday, which should work out perfect. No worries!

Hope to meet some of you there! (I'll try to find the party at 9 p.m. Saturday) Stop me if you see me ... I'll be wearing a shirt that says "Race Elkhart Lake."

E. from Wis.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 02:40:21 pm »

Hope to meet some of you there!

At the main circuit entrance by the museum, under the tunnel right next to it to take you inside the track, and you're there.  Enjoy  Grin

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 07:29:13 pm »

Just look for the gathering of , oh say around 170 Club Arnage t shirts. Shouldn't be too difficult to spot !
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 10:20:22 pm »

Just look for the gathering of , oh say around 170 Club Arnage t shirts. Shouldn't be too difficult to spot !

If everyone who bought one is there, should be about 230......

Now thats a good oppotunity for the ACO's photographers , Or Grand Fromage !!

Take life by the horns and live it.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 01:56:33 pm »

...but I'm not wearing all the ones I bought in layers for you...

I suspect that there will be nearer 170 unique wearers..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: