Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 12:52:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Spitfire or Concorde  (Voting closed: October 18, 2006, 12:36:34 pm)
Spitfire - 11 (50%)
Concorde - 11 (50%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swan or Kestral?  (Read 17930 times)
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 12:51:43 pm »

Peter,

Both your avatar picture and your stealth bomber picture are now just little red crosses for me.  I assume your upload server is having a bad day.

There has been NO moderator intervention on my part, that is merely a result of a vivid imagination  Grin

Oh, I'm rather partial to the P-51D Mustang.

Yes the P51, is a good example of how us brits came to the rescue again and turned a mediocre aircraft into a brilliant one.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 12:57:26 pm »

Spitfire v Concorde?

Spitfire. All rounded with short stumpy undercarriage. It could be likened to Dawn French or Cathy Berke.

Concorde. Angular and lithe with long undercarriage, a bit like Claudia Schiffer or Heidi Klum.

Think of that well known Spitfire pilot Lenny Henry. Do you think for one minute that when he is flying in his Spitfire he is not wishing he was flying Concorde?

End of discussion I'd say.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 12:59:34 pm by BOB U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 01:00:31 pm »

Spitfire v Concorde?

Spitfire. All rounded with short stumpy undercarriage. It could be likened to Dawn French or Cathy Berke.

Concorde. Angular and lithe with long undercarriage, a bit like Claudia schiffer or Heidi Klum.

Think of that well known Spitfire pilot Lenny Henry. Do you think for one minute that when he is flying in his Spitfire he is not wishing he was flying Concorde?

Splleing, Kathy Burke, Mr Bob Wink
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 01:02:14 pm »

I was talking about a different Cathy Berke. Lives near me, you don't know her Grin

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 01:06:07 pm »

I was talking about a different Cathy Berke. Lives near me, you don't know her Grin

I guess that goes for the other chicks as well, does it Cheesy

Dawn French, Claudia Schiffer and Heidi Klum, what about Henny Lenry?
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 01:09:20 pm »

Bob, isn't that the woman who's married to Michael, the BBC news reader?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 01:24:12 pm »

No, she married this fellow.

* gilber_hb~~_burkeslaw_101b.jpg (49.12 KB, 348x351 - viewed 286 times.)

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 01:51:07 pm »

Is it open season on pretty aircraft?

Peter,

I think it must be.  The hornet was a lovely aircraft indeed.  Cue....aaahhh de Havilland, the home of many a pretty aircraft, like the Comet.

MG Mark

* comet1.jpg (11.69 KB, 150x144 - viewed 225 times.)

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 02:23:50 pm »

Great question.

Only one choice for me Spitfire, it appeals to all the senses, visual, sound (we have one fly over our house quite often, it is guaranteed to get everyone out into the garden) and touch. I will explain the latter. There was and probably still is a Spitfire hanging in London’s Science museum. It was positioned in such a way that by reaching out a little from the gantry you could touch the tip of the aircraft. I remember taking my very young sons to see it and after I touched it (an instinctive reaction) my eldest son asked if he could too, so I lifted him up and of course my youngest then wanted to do the same. Afterwards we sat and ate our sandwiches in view of the plane. I can say without fear of contradiction that everyone that approached the exhibit did exactly the same thing. The Spitfire is a great deal more than just a machine.

I know I am a sentimental old tw+t, but there you go
 Grin
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 02:35:08 pm »

Great question.

Only one choice for me Spitfire, it appeals to all the senses, visual, sound (we have one fly over our house quite often, it is guaranteed to get everyone out into the garden) and touch. I will explain the latter. There was and probably still is a Spitfire hanging in London’s Science museum. It was positioned in such a way that by reaching out a little from the gantry you could touch the tip of the aircraft. I remember taking my very young sons to see it and after I touched it (an instinctive reaction) my eldest son asked if he could too, so I lifted him up and of course my youngest then wanted to do the same. Afterwards we sat and ate our sandwiches in view of the plane. I can say without fear of contradiction that everyone that approached the exhibit did exactly the same thing. The Spitfire is a great deal more than just a machine.

I know I am a sentimental old tw+t, but there you go
 Grin

Interesting you mention the Spitfire in the Science museum, i believe it was taken off the front line during the BoB, and at a later date positioned.  It has never been cleaned up or renovated, so is a time capsule from the 1940's.  Does anyone know if it is still there?  or has it been moved?
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 02:39:06 pm »

Peter,

I think it must be.  The hornet was a lovely aircraft indeed.  Cue....aaahhh de Havilland, the home of many a pretty aircraft, like the Comet.

MG Mark

I lived quite close to HP Radlett and still remember the early test flying of the Victor, in those days it had a metallic fuselage and silver wings, very futuristic.  During GW1, the Americans thought the victor tankers were our new secret weapon, they looked a bit awe struck when it was pointed out that at that stage the type was nearly 50 years old.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 02:46:13 pm »

Very difficult to chose, as has been said, both very emotive, both things of sensual beauty, both landmark achievements of their era which will never be surpassed. I am unashamed to sit on the fence and not be able to choose between either. Yes, there are other beautiful aeroplanes but none so iconic.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 02:47:40 pm »

What about the ugly ducklings.  My vote goes to the Harrier, and we sold it to the USMC

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 02:54:49 pm »

Peter,

MG Mark

I lived quite close to HP Radlett and still remember the early test flying of the Victor, in those days it had a metallic fuselage and silver wings, very futuristic.  During GW1, the Americans thought the victor tankers were our new secret weapon, they looked a bit awe struck when it was pointed out that at that stage the type was nearly 50 years old.

Like you I was around that area, when my parents lived in welwyn, with both of them working at De Havilland.   The americans were always awestuck by out old stuff - the Victor still looks "flash gordon" futuristic even now, and i will never forget 2 F-14 drivers being completely dumbstruck at Lossiemouth as they were overtaken in the climb out by 2 Lightnings at around 35k having been given a 30-second start on rolling......

The Spitfire is, I think still there in the Science Museum and they also had a second one in a dissaembled state for the 65th BofB celebrations.

MG Mark

* ScienceMuseumspit.jpg (129.44 KB, 768x512 - viewed 257 times.)

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 03:37:24 pm »

Peter,

MG Mark

Like you I was around that area, when my parents lived in welwyn, with both of them working at De Havilland.   The americans were always awestuck by out old stuff - the Victor still looks "flash gordon" futuristic even now, and i will never forget 2 F-14 drivers being completely dumbstruck at Lossiemouth as they were overtaken in the climb out by 2 Lightnings at around 35k having been given a 30-second start on rolling......

The Spitfire is, I think still there in the Science Museum and they also had a second one in a dissaembled state for the 65th BofB celebrations.

MG Mark

funny old world, when the F 15 Eagle first came over to the UK they were always spouting off about its 1:1 thrust to weight ratio and how marvellous it was, I think it was at RAF Mildenhall, just prior to the Farnborough Air Show and the USAF/McDonnell Douglas team were getting in a right old lather about its unique properties, a relation of mine started chatting about his time with 56 Sqn and how they had be doing all that for the best part of 25 years with the Lightning.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: