Club Arnage
May 13, 2024, 12:45:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petrol Prices  (Read 9768 times)
Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 11:26:09 am »

One of my Directors has just converted his wifes car to run on veggie oil, all seems to be going well with it at the mo.

Alot cheaper if you don't mind driving around in something that smells like a chippy.

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 11:53:58 am »

I understood that all fuel comes from the same refineries and is the same until it reaches the point of sale, where additives are added. Different retailers use different quantities & qualities of additives. This is the only differentiator.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 02:43:34 pm »

Having just returned from 2 weeks sun in south west France.

Based on the exchange rate of !.36E to the pound, sans plomb is £1 per litre.

Makes travelling around the Charente a lot more expensive than travelling around Surrey,Hants and Berks

Hi Wishy

If you only got 1.36 euro to the £, you were done. 

I've just done nearly 4000k around France, and with gasoil at an average price of 1.04 euros per litre, it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the UK.

My daily driver is running on GPL/LPG and it's done it's job nicely for more than 100.000 KMs now. To invest another 2.500 EURs into a GPL/LPG installations seems to have been the best idea I ever had (if any).

I ran on LPG for several years and agree that it is much cheaper.  I opted for the oil-burner this time because of the cheaper price of gasoil in France, and the double downside of LPG - space required for the extra tank and the (relatively) poor re-fuelling infrastructure.  It's OK if you happen to live near an LPG pump, but down in the Dordogne, I noticed they were few and far between.  Incidentally, I also noticed GPL in France is now about the same price as in the UK - used to be a lot cheaper.

DB

Team Delboy Racing
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 03:32:49 pm »

I have some friends that run on "veggiepower".  You can run on neat vegatable oil, which is in Macro at under a pound a litre, but its a bit too thick when cold.  ALternatively, you mix it with methanol (also about a pound  a litre), add a catalyst and it turns into something very similar to derv plus a layer of soap, which you have to seperate off.  The trick is that the local chip shop will have loads of old oil that they want to get rid of and as this is now industrial waste, they have to pay to get rid, so you'll get it for free.

I too have heard that each tanker driver has a selection of additive bottles in the cab

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 04:52:44 pm »

Hi Del Boy,

The euro's we bought were at the post office,and generally their rates are as good as anyones.

the fule price quoted was for "asns plomb" and not "gasoil".
Mind you in Mansle where we were staying gasoil was 1.04e for a litre.

Did you find a suitable property to move to in your round trip.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 07:18:02 pm »

Mind you in Mansle where we were staying gasoil was 1.04e for a litre.

Did you find a suitable property to move to in your round trip.

Hey Wishy

We stayed about 4k away from Mansle last year at Aunac.  Nice area.

Regarding property search, yes - see

http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=4019.msg48836#msg48836

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 08:54:40 pm »

I understood that all fuel comes from the same refineries and is the same until it reaches the point of sale, where additives are added. Different retailers use different quantities & qualities of additives. This is the only differentiator.

Having inspected Petrol stations during deliveries, as part of my job, nothing is added at the retail end.

Unless the refineries can alter the mix between tanker fills my opinion is that they are all very similar. round this way they all come from the Esso refinery at Fawley and they line up to be filled with a good mix of brands, one after the other.

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 09:52:41 pm »

Sounds like Interbrew to me Roll Eyes

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 12:58:33 pm »

So what is it like in the UK now?

Car driving Netherlands lives today a historical depth point. For the first time the price for a litre petrol went through the one point five euro.
Total and Texaco raise the price of a litre euro unleaded with 4 cents and calculate to the pump respectively €1.505 and €1.504. Shocked
BP forces up the litre price with 3.4 cents up to €1,499 and market LEADER Shell remains with €1,479 something under the one and a half euro.

above is through babelfish, feel lazy today Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 09:22:28 pm »

A few random thoughts:

Car driving Netherlands lives today a historical depth point
- Babel fish is marvellous - what a marvellous phrase!

Unless the refineries can alter the mix between tanker fills my opinion is that they are all very similar. round this way they all come from the Esso refinery at Fawley and they line up to be filled with a good mix of brands, one after the other.
   Probably very true - not the same as oil, which is a case that the different additives make significant differences.

Driving home from work today, I passed a Jet garage that now has its diesel price up to 99.9p per litre - nearly past the magic ton!   

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2005, 10:36:15 pm »

yep and me both near coningsby probably to do with a rural location and wasn't the usual brand names thye all wanted 95.9

though did get filled up for 92.9 at asda in grantham

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2005, 09:36:47 am »

Had to get Optimax on Sat for Micheals Kart

101.9p per ltr  Shocked Cry

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2005, 11:38:15 am »

Why aren't they rioting in the streets this time?  Anyone doing serious mileage must be well out of pocket

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2005, 01:25:13 pm »

Anyone know what % of the total price is made up from raw material costs?

It does seem that the price rise has been higher that expected, considering that about 70% of the pump price is duty & tax.
Clearly the 30% is made up of refining costs, transport and profits as well as oil costs, so I would say that these costs have all increased along with the oil price, VAT increases in line with the rise as well.

On the theme of forcing prices down - oil prices have risen due to a number of factors - increasing demand being one - China in particular has increasing demand, so if we stop buying cheap imports from China then their economy will go into reverse ,oil demand will drop and lresult in lower oil prices - sorted!

Or we could all take up cycling - we could cheaply import the bikes that they used to use in China! Smiley
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2005, 02:18:21 pm »

Driving home from work today, I passed a Jet garage that now has its diesel price up to 99.9p per litre - nearly past the magic ton!

That was a couple of days ago, when unleaded was sat at 95.9p.  This morning driving past the same  garage, both unleaded and diesel are now both sat at 99.9p per litre - a couple of months ago, diesel was around 82.9p.   In good old imperial volumes, that is now the equivalent rise from £3.76 to £4.53 per gallon.   Damn right it's more expensive doing signiifcant mileages!

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: