Club Arnage
May 09, 2024, 11:59:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodwood Festival of Speed  (Read 6610 times)
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 12:44:01 pm »

I had to take a trip to Midhurst this morning.  There are roadworks on the A286 midway between Fernhurst and Midhurst with traffic lights and alternate single line traffic.  This is at the top of the hill close to the turn-off for the old King Edward VII Hospital.

Regular FoS visitors will know that this appears to be a yearly sport by the local authorities!

The signs said 1/6/15 for 4 weeks.  It is possible that it's done by the FoS.  Huh

Also, there were tailbacks of 15 minutes+ to get into Midhust, but I do not know why.  It could have been standard 10:00am but I doubt it.  (There were no issues on Sunday when I passed through).

I will go early on Thursday, travel this route and update this topic.

BTW - if you do travel Midhust route, and don't know any shortcuts, here are a three:

1-   if you are travelling from the North, and are queuing just as you get into the 30 mph outside Midhust, and you haven’t even got to the first roundabout in Easebourne, (where the A286 meets the A272 going east), it’s worth turning right into Hollist Lane (wide entrance but becomes a narrow lane), and cut round to the A272 where you go into Midhurst from the West.  If the traffic is bad enough to be stationary as you go from the 60 to 30 zones, this can save up to 30 minutes.

or

2-   If you get past the roundabout where the A286 meets the A272 but are queuing into the centre of Midhurst past the bus station and shops, then at the end of the row of shops, turn hard left into Knockhundred Row/Church Hill (before the road narrows significantly).  Follow this past the Spread Eagle Hotel until you rejoin the traffic exiting Midhust at a T-junction (turn left) – it will save 5-15 minutes as it by-passes the A286/A272 junction.  I always take this - it's a popular short cut!

3-   And then if you are queuing into Singleton, and you think that it’s going to be the same going up the hill (Town Lane) to Goodwood (you can ignore the “no access” signs and turn left into Singleton, and pick up Charlton Road going Eadt out of the village, and then turn right into Knight’s Hill which takes you up the hill and puts you back onto the Goodwood road just before the racecourse.    It may be possible to push through to East Dean and then south to New Barn Hill, but I have not tried this yet.

* Picture1a.jpg (139.96 KB, 1277x1024 - viewed 336 times.)

* Picture2.jpg (93.42 KB, 736x926 - viewed 336 times.)

* Picture5.jpg (49.79 KB, 716x1026 - viewed 307 times.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:16:47 pm by aricus654 » Logged

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 01:05:26 am »

I thought it was a really good FOS. I hope the people who came for the first time enjoyed the variety.

Porsche finally brought the winner. Audi and Toyota were also there.

For anyone who hasn't been, it isn't just about seeing the cars and celebrity drivers, it's about being able to talk to the people behind the cars. Like asking the Toyota team what's gone wrong this year (I think that a normally aspirated engine is near the end of the line) or asking Enda Garvey what it's like to drive Ari Vatenan's Peugeot 406 T16 Piles Peak car (... Could do with a bit more power....)

Recommended!

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »

Had a newbie with me and he was very impressed by the whole event.  At a certain point when we were standing and talking to Stirling Moss in his 722 MM (wearing the Amelia Island shirt did the trick), he said "where on earth is this possible to approach a legend driver in such a car ?".

As for me, I thought last year's edition had a slightly better displays of cars on the hillclimb.  Took less pictures than last year, but spent a lot more time around the paddocks than on the hillclimb itself.  Didn't even make it to the rally stage this year. 
Watching the "beast of Turin" going round was an absolute highlight, just as the Mazda 787B, the Mercedes Mille Miglia's and the Citroen DS by Chapron who were on display at the Cartier corner.   Spotted a few interesting LM cars (Talbot Lago T26 was very nice), pictures to follow soon.  Also had a few nice chats with engineers of Audi & Toyota, drivers, car owners ...

Will go for 3 days again next year, 2 days is too short to get everywhere.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: