Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 07:15:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS - For Linux op system  (Read 3082 times)
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:24:41 pm »

OK - Question for you techies out there.

I have now got a Asus Eee PC, which runs on Linux.

I have read that people have set it up for car computer (carputer) for using as  agood GPS system.

Does any body know about Linux and the best route planning software and also the best GPS locator thingy?

Want to set it up like this  - then I can get world maps andthen set up for life, of till I drop the pc.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:09:45 pm »

I've looked at various bits of GPS software for Linux over the years. 

They tend to have a common theme.  "They will be great when they are complete.".

If you want a good GPS then get a Tom Tom it's a lot cheaper than an Eee plus a GPS.
Though if you have both then it's just what price you put on your time to get it working.

In a plane GPS is good cos you only want numbers  like Bearing Distance to the next waypoint and your trak and your ETA at the waypoint.

In a car they are not really so good.  IMHO.   They will tell you where you are. But they are not that hot at telling you how to get where you want to get.
Sure they will get you there.  But I think they are a bit dumb in the way they do it. 

If you find a good solution be sure to post it here.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
rcutler
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:35:29 pm »

They tend to have a common theme.  "They will be great when they are complete.".

If you want a good GPS then get a Tom Tom it's a lot cheaper than an Eee plus a GPS.
Though if you have both then it's just what price you put on your time to get it working.

In a plane GPS is good cos you only want numbers  like Bearing Distance to the next waypoint and your trak and your ETA at the waypoint.

In a car they are not really so good.  IMHO.   They will tell you where you are. But they are not that hot at telling you how to get where you want to get.
Sure they will get you there.  But I think they are a bit dumb in the way they do it. 

t.

I have to agree with Tom there, even if he spends his whole life advertising the company by saying his first name  Grin

I have a TomTom Go 720 and it really is the Dogs Bollocks! Everywhere I need to go including central Brussels it is absolutly bang on! The new range of TomTom's also have mapshare. When a user updates the system to state a road has changed, TomTom upload it to all devices, clever eh!

Being a field service engineer I nearly rely on my TomTom. I have had a PDA and GPS but gave up on it.
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 02:04:13 pm »

t.

I have to agree with Tom there, even if he spends his whole life advertising the company by saying his first name  Grin

I have a TomTom Go 720 and it really is the Dogs Bollocks! Everywhere I need to go including central Brussels it is absolutly bang on! The new range of TomTom's also have mapshare. When a user updates the system to state a road has changed, TomTom upload it to all devices, clever eh!

Being a field service engineer I nearly rely on my TomTom. I have had a PDA and GPS but gave up on it.
I still have a PDA with GPS, the reliability depends on the software you use on it. As I have TomTom on the PDA, only time I had a problem with it was when the connectioncable for the GPS-receiver was broken. Wassolved by buying a bluetooth receiver.

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Petra
Would rather still be a Newbie
CA Veteran

DfH member and proud owner of Albert CB!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:53:26 pm »

It's a Linux thing Grin

2 cats, 6 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, lots of mice, 1 syrian hamster, 1 chinchilla, a lot of fun!
Petra
Would rather still be a Newbie
CA Veteran

DfH member and proud owner of Albert CB!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:30 pm »

I don't know if you're any good with soldering, but surfing around for something to do I stumbled upon this. Don't know if it's gonna work with Linux though.

2 cats, 6 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, lots of mice, 1 syrian hamster, 1 chinchilla, a lot of fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: