Club Arnage
May 13, 2024, 06:17:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debit card  (Read 4942 times)
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:20:34 pm »

Hi all, bit of a strange one I popped down earlier to the hole in the wall to get a bit of cash out but the machine infromed me that "this service is not available" I assumed it was empty, I then went on to Lidl for a bit of shopping and had my card declined Huh
I have just called Barclays help line and was told that I had reported the card lost on the 9th ............what I said I had done no such thing!!! (this is not a joint account) but was informed that I had done so. Surely whoever did would have had to supply various security info? No money seems to have gone from the account and the Barclays guy assured me that the replacement card was being sent to my address which I confirmed was the right address..........any ideas guys? am a bit worried that some sort of scam is afoot.
Chris

been there done that doing it again !
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »

Serves you right for shopping at Lidl!  Wink

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 11:24:15 pm »

Nufink wrong with Lidl's but the the arse's dont take a credit card.................felt a right prat leaving me shopping behind, got no sugar for me flask tomorrow now Cry

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:37:44 am »

Could it be that Barclays are connected to the ACO. Grin

Whilst there may be some incompetence in the call centres, the banks take security seriously, so if I were you I'd complain.  You've only upset Lidls so far, but it could have been more serious - stranded miles from home with no petrol etc, and after all it is your money, and you've trusted them with it, and then they go and invent something.  If you ring up saying you've lost your card, you get all the security questions.  Its got to be worth a few bob.

And the first time I discovered  Lidls didn't take credit cards was on a booze cruise to France.  I just left the trolley and ran.  It was about the time of the Euro, when 2p would fit the 10 franc slot in the trolley
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:40:26 am by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:42:15 am »

I think is silly season, my card was stopped,  after someone did a credit card transfer to my card, to the tune of £3,500 and the icing on the cake, they charge an extra £100 to do it!

Like you, first thing I knew about it was when the card would not work!

Funny when u miss a payment, they ring you straight away. Not one bloody call to tell me its been stopped.

At present still waiting to hear from them about it, after filling all the stupid forms.

hint - don't ring them after normal working hours unless its an emergency. Last few times I had to ring them was on the phone for 30min to india, i nearly gave up the will to live after that. BUnch of .......... Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:44:00 am by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:41 am »

They are not all bad.....  the other side of the coin.

I checked my bank statement on-line last Sunday, and found a spurious payment of nearly £80 to Ryanair which I had not made, via my debit card.  Went into the bank (Natwest) on Monday, answered a lot of questions and went home.  By 5.00pm that evening, the cash had been transfered by the bank back into the account.

Also, I recently made some large payments from my account via the debit card to building suppliers, and each time the payment was over (around) £500, the payment was stopped by the bank and I had to confirm by phone that it was OK.  A good security check.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »

All sorted, have just spent an hour in the bank with a nice young lady who got to the bottom of my problem, even tho the tw-t I spoke to at the Indian call centre last nite for half an hour said "I had called and reported my card lost" wrong (sleepless night for me wondering if all my hard earned was being transfered to Ghana or Romania or such like) Thanks............turns out Barclays had sent me a new card a week or so ago and I had filed it with all the other guff that drops thro my letter box  Roll Eyes because I had not activated the new card they canceled both DOH!! take note activate any new cards as soon as you get them and make sure they work before you go off on hols.
Chris

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »

Steve East Anglian cobras

alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 06:10:37 pm »

Thank you Grin point taken  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Chris

JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 10:45:40 pm »

On the subject of debit cards ..... Any of you who have a Nationwide account and enjoyed the comission-free currency withdrawals from European cashpoints beware - Nationwide have now removed this service from the 1st Nov 2010 (with little or no notice to account holders) and the charges are now £1 + 2% of the amount withdrawn each time the card is used, so watch out as this will add up pretty quickly.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 11:16:54 pm »

On the subject of debit cards ..... Any of you who have a Nationwide account and enjoyed the comission-free currency withdrawals from European cashpoints beware - Nationwide have now removed this service from the 1st Nov 2010 (with little or no notice to account holders) and the charges are now £1 + 2% of the amount withdrawn each time the card is used, so watch out as this will add up pretty quickly.

Plenty of notice here.  They wrote to me about 2 months ago and are offering free travel insurance to account holders now instead.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: