Club Arnage
May 16, 2024, 02:17:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new f1 engines.the turbos are back.with a difference.  (Read 4674 times)
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:49:43 pm »

1.6 turbos for f1.4 cylinder green engines forv 2013.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:50:01 am »

More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9255871.stm
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:51 am »

What next, electric milk floats?
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 12:32:19 pm »

Whats the problem with this, sounds ok to me, still have the same BHP, as now 750, will be smaller, use less fuel so the car will be lighter.

Energy recovery, ie kers so embracing the new tech.

Dont forget the mid 80's BMW 1.5 turbo cars had about 1300bhp in Q when set to 5.5 bar and 800 for the race and they where pretty special to watch too.

http://www.productionparadise.com/spotlight/cars-and-landscape-photography-324/rainer-w-schlegelmilch-12283.html

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »

Whats the problem with this, sounds ok to me, still have the same BHP, as now 750, will be smaller, use less fuel so the car will be lighter.

Energy recovery, ie kers so embracing the new tech.

Dont forget the mid 80's BMW 1.5 turbo cars had about 1300bhp in Q when set to 5.5 bar and 800 for the race and they where pretty special to watch too.

http://www.productionparadise.com/spotlight/cars-and-landscape-photography-324/rainer-w-schlegelmilch-12283.html

You are correct, it was a bit of knee jerk reaction from me to the hierachcy chipping away again at what is supoossed to be the pinicle of motorsport. Thinking about it, that sort of power with todays aerodynamics might be something special.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 02:30:48 pm »

Rev limit of 10k is going to stifle things a bit.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:44:05 pm »

The old BMW and Zakspeed 4 pots had a max of 11500.

Most 4's produced max power at about 9500 I think with tons of torque.The 6's reved higher as you would expect.

Capping revs is not ideal but 10k should be ok. If they need more should be easy to up the limit a bit.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:53:50 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:41:01 pm »

Unusually, I'm with Bernie on this one - why bother, especially when there's not much money about.  They think VW will be keen, but I bet a couple of others will drop out.  If Ferrari and Mercedes didn't back it, that only leaves Renault

Did I say VW, I meant Audi, so at least some of the diesels will be off the grid at Le Mans

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 06:27:05 pm »

Bet you they won't be fuelling up with the "rocket" fuel used in the original turbo era.....85% toluene amongst many other interesting ingredients.

and I suspect that they won't be running at 5.5 bar boost - that was Berger in qualifying at Monza in '86 (I think) before they started restricting boost. 

As a volumetric equivalent of a normally aspirated engine, in a turbo engine each bar of boost doubles the effective volumetric capacity (rather like compund interest).  So, 1500cc at 1 bar boost is the equivalent volumetric efficiency as a 3 litre engine, x2bar = 6 litres, x3 = 12 litres, x4 = 24 litres, x5= 48litres etc.. you get the idea.  That's why turbos are so effective -but the higher boost you go, the finer the control has to be over the fuel, timing etc.  That's why the qualifying engines in the 80s were "hand-grenade" specials running at 4-5 bar in qualifying and 2-3 bar during the race, and why mixtures were run rich to help valve cooling and prevent lean running - led to the lovely overrun flames....

Lots of other factors came into play, such as the tyre wars of the time, fuel concoctions, and the fuel limitations on consumption during the race.  I suspect it will all be a bit more controlled now....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:47:19 pm »

I'm as big a fan of the turbo era as anyone, but I agree with MGM on this one, I suspect the turbos this time around will be quite a bit more regulated than in the good old days of the mid-eighties.  Those were very special days, 1300 BHP for qualifying around the old Österreichring was some prettty serious stuff, definitely a man's game back then.  That said, turbos will be an interesting switch, but I doubt we'll see them allowed to get to the sort of horsepower figures we saw in the eighties.
Fax
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 11:37:35 pm »

Indeed, and some may remember the rather less than controlled (but jolly spectacular) Arnoux/Villeneuve duel from the early turbo days in '79 in France when 1500cc turbos were mixing it with 3ltr normally aspirated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2tIFxSEGA&feature=related

enjoy, along with murray commentating....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 12:24:29 pm »

Indeed, and some may remember the rather less than controlled (but jolly spectacular) Arnoux/Villeneuve duel from the early turbo days in '79 in France when 1500cc turbos were mixing it with 3ltr normally aspirated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2tIFxSEGA&feature=related

enjoy, along with murray commentating....

MG Mark

I will tire of watching that when I'm dead.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: