Club Arnage
May 20, 2024, 04:55:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2004 tales and memories  (Read 41085 times)
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2004, 04:17:13 pm »

Well, it's Thursday and I'm begining to adjust back to US time after being in Europe for two weeks.  The Le Mans experience was so rich for me, I just don't have adequate words to express all of the emotion and excitement I had at the race.

As many of you may recall, I was chaperoning some high school kids thru France, Italy, and Switzerland two weeks prior to Le Mans.  Because the tour was ending as the weekend for Le Mans was begining, it was the opportunity of my life to fullfill a lifelong dream to be able the come the the granddaddy of all endurance/motorcar racing.  I am no spring chicken, so this has been festering for over 40 years...and now it was going to happen.

I caught the train on Friday the 11th from Engelberg, Switzerland, to Lucern.  Changed trains to Olten, then caught another one to Geneva and then the TGV to Paris.   There I change Gare's from Lyon to Montparanasse via the Metro at 5:00 rush hour.  You can't imagine how physically difficult this was because I'm bringing 22 kilos of two weeks in Europe luggage plus another bag with the camping gear weighing 20 kilos.  And a wheel on each bag was burned out.  So here I am dragging this heavy luggage up stairs, down stairs, only 1 wheel rolling on each bag, walking long distances from platform to platform and Montaparanasse seemed like a mile from the Metro to the Grand Train station.  I thought I was going to die right there in the train station.

But I finally made it to get on the train to Le Mans.  The worst was behind me, right?  Hell no!  When I got the Le Mans, the plan was to store my Europe tour traveling suitcase in the storage locker at the train station and backpack to the circuit.  I was to meet the dinner party set up by Gilles at 8:00.  Well, the train station people are not providing any lockers because of terriorists.  I became very depressed and didn't know what I was going to do.  They wouldn't even let me throw my stuff in the garbage can and just walk away.

Finally, a young lady, an angel named Marlene, spoke English and understood my problem.  She called Gilles for me and he came and got me at the station.  He saved my life because I was at the end of my rope.  Here I had come nearly 5000 miles to see something I had dreamed about since I was a boy and it was falling apart.  But Gilles came thru---Gilles, thank you so much, you have no idea how much you kindness and gesture means to me!!!

Anyway, on the way to dinner to meet the other guys, he got a call from a friend who was unable to come for the weekend.  Gilles said that his tent is already set up at MB and that it is mine if I want it.   ARE YOU KIDDING?Huh?

After a lovely dinner, lasting until midnight, we headed for the circuit, rode right in the gate to MB and up to the campsite of some people that adoped me as family immediately.  These guys are the most hospitible, welcoming people I have ever met.  The first gift to my country from their town was the Beetles and now their gift was to me personnally.

Brian, Ian, Jimmy, and Chris of Liverpool, no words can express how blessed I was to be with you guys during this event.  They made me welcomed immediately and their help, guidance, generousity, and fun conversation made a great racing event become an experience that I shall never forget!!!

There are stories during the race I could talk about like examining and evaluating, wire mesh suspension systems from New Zealand at the Shampoo Bar on Saturday night.  I was too far from home to handle that very well.

But on Sunday around noon time, another CA angel came to my rescue, Big H.  He was leaving after the race for town to his hotel room which happened to be just across the street from the train station and so he gave me and my 100 pounds of luggage a lift, in a classic 57 or 58 Jag Saloon,  beautiful car.  Thanks Big H, I really appreciate you help so much.

I saw Marlene again, she was the one who called Gilles for me when I arrived and didn't know what I was going to do with all my luggage.   She bid me farwell and I thanked her again and headed to the platform to head to Charles D Gaulle airport.  I have a short converstion with a photographer on assignment by Car and Driver Magazine and then walks up Johnny O'Connel and Ron Fellows ( the Corvette drivers in the race)  We have a nice conversation and ride in the same coach to Paris.  There is a whole another story about that part of the trip but I'll save space by wrapping this up here.

But I just want to say that CA is a whole lot more than a website, with information about the race, and maps, and chatty stuff between people with funny names, and they write English but use words I don't know their definition, but much more than all of that, it's real people, who like to have a good time, who are helpful to strangers they have never met, who are generous with their time, food, drink, and even grandstand pass, who are late for the dinner they set up for their friends to pick up some fool from the states with too much luggage, and on and on and on!!!!.

I know this is probably one of the longest postings on the site and I apologize for that, but I just had to try to express my deepest and sincerest thanks to all of those "angels" who helped me have the grandest time of my life.  I could never repay you guys, ever.  Gilles, mercie,  Brian, Ian, Jimmy, Chris, Mr and Ms RS2babe, Big H and all the other folks I met that helped me along the way, thanks guys, What a deal! What an event! and yes, What a race!    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Added some paras to improve readability! John, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and it is no surprise to me that CA members came up trunps for you...they are all top people. Remember Gilles ride after the meal ..."all you want now Mark is a cobbled street".

Come back next year, now you know what to expect...
Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 09:11:57 pm by smokie » Logged
tink
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2004, 04:23:52 pm »

reading all this some things are starting to come back to me now...

thanking you brian for reminding me of jpc chasing after the french kid on a scooter to 'tw*t' him on the helmet - quality

the miserable english git who didn't appreciate the supersoakers on mb, and warned us 'i wouldn't do that if i was you'

countless beers and smokes and whiskey on saturday night - thankyou to whoever provided the goods

watching insane fire-breathing at l'pool boys on fri

watching the girls go by in le mans for the parade

many more things which i can't really remember.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2004, 05:38:51 pm »

Well, it's Thursday and I'm begining to adjust back to US time after being in Europe for two weeks.  The Le Mans experience was so rich for me, I just don't have adequate words to express all of the emotion and excitement I had at the race. ..............................
.......................................I know this is probably one of the longest postings on the site and I apologize for that, but I just had to try to express my deepest and sincerest thanks to all of those "angels" who helped me have the grandest time of my life.  I could never repay you guys, ever.  Gilles, mercie,  Brian, Ian, Jimmy, Chris, Mr and Ms RS2babe, Big H and all the other folks I met that helped me along the way, thanks guys, What a deal! What an event! and yes, What a race!    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yes, but did you enjoy yourself??  Grin Grin Grin
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2004, 05:46:23 pm »

Was a pleasure to meet you John. Great post above btw!

Anyway, the old brain is starting to get back to normal now but yesterday whilst putting a few files in the boot of my car I actually had a fleeting hallucination of a man walking through the back door of our offices! Madness! I've never suffered from the DT's before, well at least it wasn't a pink elephant.

I've remembered a couple more things. One is Steve Zarse cutting open a blow up doll and getting inside with the help of a lot of talcum powder and sweat. The other is the Belmondo Racing truck drivers giving us a wave and a blast as they blatted past us on the N158. I'm sure more will come back later on, but it's time for the footy now so over and out.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2004, 07:56:06 pm »

Great to meet you John in the 'Poo Bar on Saturday.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2004, 08:48:57 pm »

Long may the LM spirit live on - nowhare else can so many top blokes and girls get together for the purpose of having a bloody good time and doing such a good job!

Especial thanks to the SPS crew (just how does Kate drive that Griff in those stilleteos!).

Most incredible sight had to be the 250GTO parked in St Saturnin car park with the lesser F40's, F50 and other top motors - well done to the organisers brill day, worth a visit.

The full christmas being had on Karting Nord on friday- Christmas tree with decorations, twikly lights, father christmas, the perverted pixy, Roast turkey with all the trimmings, guys in DJ's ladies in posh froks - truly bizzar!

Apprently I did enjoy my afternoon snoze on the start line terrece 5 minutes after the start of the race.

Shampoo bar met was tops - good to meet you all.

The the confussed looks of the guys being told that they could only watch the football on SPS's TV if they took their beer away and HAD to drink SPS's.

Gilles for not gloating!

Already looking forward to next year and hooking up with you all again - just how long do we realy have to wait?

Stay safe and well.

johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2004, 09:31:18 pm »

Smokie, you know Mark did have a big grin on his face during the cobblestone street ride with Gilles.  The "gusher" "came" with the brakes on the Huh Grin Cheesy "hard" stop made to test the VW stopping ability with a full load.  Muffled sounds from the front I believe.  You know, he was never the same the whole weekend.  Can't imagine why???
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2004, 09:32:04 pm »

John, I remember it well....

And I was jealous...... Tongue
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2004, 11:12:35 pm »

Hey Robbo, I'm sorry I forgot to mention you in the thank you posting I did earlier.  I love the shirt and am glad you brought it for me.  Sorry, I didn't help much with the generator, I forgot about the oil low cutoff.  I'm just glad it was something simple rather than no power at all for the weekend.  The spark plug tool didn't even fit but we gave it a try anyway.
I think that you should issue with the CA shirts,  New Zealand wire mesh suspension systems for all females next time for inspection and examination.  What about that guys?Huh?  Am I right about this???
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2004, 11:17:48 pm »

Wow, 2004 over already what a buzz. what memories we have all got!

1. travelling down the D579 trying to overtake a wide loader and a geezer pops his head up from the middle of the trailer made me piss my self laughing to look over the top of the cab to wave me through.
2. got lost for the first time in LM before i got to the camp site .. bummer.
3. Arrived to find Barry has got a Puker spot in an empty field in Bleu.
4. brill meeting in Tetre Rouge. so good good that we couldnt be arsed to see the next session of qual. good piss up with liverpool boys Canada Phil Barry Mark George Big H Savaloy sorry to forget others but a bloody good night after as well. the Penguin was the piss take of a gadget lads lets alone the air conditioning Bat!!
5. thurs was a drunken blurr, just had to top up on weds.
6. thanks rusty and the Brethren for a great bash. good to meet you all again. What a bomb!!
7. as mentioned by all Shampoo bar meet was just the best ever. I reckon a good million quids worth of cars got twated and a million units of champayne got consumed... top notch. cant wait to see the photos. we had to be the biggests club there this year?Huh? did Bird get her t-shirt christened??
8. Canada Phil and myself in search of a LM moment but no coffee to be found, only the site of the Ferrari on the track with the wheel on fire prior to the car catching fire in the pits.
9. thanks to all the Lads & Lasses of CA who's hospitality was fantastic as ever. and to Barry. Will,Dirk,Graham,Kev. top scoffing.

lots more to say so little brain cell to cough it up.

roll on 2005... Grin

Andy
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2004, 09:18:17 am »

I think that you should issue with the CA shirts,  New Zealand wire mesh suspension systems for all females next time for inspection and examination.  What about that guys?Huh?  Am I right about this???

I'll agree with that John.  A very pleasant sight.   Grin Grin

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Rover Man
CA Veteran

Le Mans Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2004, 02:39:53 pm »

Lesson learnt!
Embarrassed
RTFM!

Camera: Read the instructions for manual over-ride of focus and exposure BEFORE getting stuck behind the catch fencing! Also, bring the instructions with you!

Car: Thursday 15:15 new car delivered (Rover 75 Tourer Contemporary SE CDTi). Thursday evening, pack car. Friday 08:30 set out in new car.
Friday 11:30 read handbook while on the shuttle!
(It ran faultlessly except for getting an MP3 CD stuck - probably because it was duff)

Anybody know of a filter for Photo-shop that gets rid of catch fencing??
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2004, 10:14:42 am »

Firstly would like to thank all CA members for making our first LM an event that we will never forget.
Highlights
1.Well every bit from start to finish.
2. The two old guys on the ferry with the C-type-you would think they were 18 again, sums up the whole week
3. My first glimse of a prototype at full chat, at night in practice, how good are the brakes??? a sight I will never forget.
4. Our man McRae on the podium in GTS Grin RESULT!
5. poo bar Shocked, managed half an hour and fled fearing our lives/sanity/last pair of clean undythrappers  Embarrassed
6. the dutch guys on bleu who drove their car nose first into the ditch at the back of our tent, v.funny-hope you got home ok
7. Grand Marnier crepe stall, mmmmmmmm yummy!!
8. All the kinky stuff in the campsites/car parks
9. Getting just 3 hours sleep in the first 96 hours since leaving home:Smiley
10. Mr Sugdens industrial strength power shower, 50 litres a minute

Not so good stuff
Running 8 items off one car fag lighter at once, result-darkness, no tunes, no fridge, no breakfast and damaged wiring loom, thanks to all who donated fuses, wire, tape, jump leads etc.
Big thanks to the chap with the yellow fiat that blocked the van in for 2 days, we did not really want to go to Arnage on sat night  Angry
long drive home 14 hours + 6 on ferry
Even longer wait for next year Wink

How about putting a countdown clock in the top corner of this site to next years event

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2004, 10:40:14 am »

How about putting a countdown clock in the top corner of this site to next years event

Just use my pic on the left.  Smiley  

I've also offered Smokie the php code to do the job.  (See http://tmdg.co.uk/lemans/)  I think we need to give Dave and Chris a bit of time to recover from the Race.  

See guys I'm not completely destructive. Grin

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Chef
CA Veteran

Cooking up another llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2004, 11:53:21 am »

Anybody know of a filter for Photo-shop that gets rid of catch fencing??

There is a plug in called the 'miracle shot' All you need to do is beg and beg and beg the aco for a media pass and all the fencing goes.
but for a more realistic answer. No. The fencing is there and we have to live with it.
Next year try taking a mini step ladder. i saw one guy at the porches curves on one and he could see over the fence and got shots with no fence.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: