Club Arnage
May 09, 2024, 04:21:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2004 tales and memories  (Read 40964 times)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2004, 01:18:23 pm »

I’m sure many people will have memories and tales which they want to post, so let’s have a single thread for relating your tales and memories of 2004.

Please don’t post anything which may cause embarrassment or offence to others, whether or not they are CA regulars.

My list could go on forever, but here are the highlights I can think of right now, in no particular order…

The hot weather, especially earlier in the week

Meeting so many CA members and their mates…

Trying to have a late night conversation with Gilles and Stuart and not understanding either of them – I’m sure it was their accents and NOT my ears…

Stu’s card tricks, and Bri, Stu and others fire eating

Sav dropping by to see us regularly on his bike, and Uncle Albert passing regularly on his…

The arrival of the shitehouse family and their extended family later in the week

The day the shyte lorry was late and the cess pit started to overflow and the bogs started to come to us instead of us going to them…

Millions of pounds worth of cars passing me in 30 minutes watching burn outs outside MB on Friday afternoon

Saturday night @ the Poo bar…unbelievable

Everyones hospitality and friendliness, especially the Liverpool Boys who seemed to be"always open”

The driver's parade, especially the "up closeness" of it - pics to follow

« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 01:21:10 pm by smokie » Logged
rcutler
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 01:25:48 pm »

My Frank Biela moment when passing Falaise on the way down. Petrol stations were shut for two hours!!!

Ironing the transfers onto rpettafor's T-shirt upside down.

We operator a Lemon award for the most stupid thing over the weekend. It looks as though I sarted before we even left home.
tink
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 01:32:53 pm »

i think losing my keys has to go down as a bit of a winner.

i can't really remember anything specifically good, it's all kinda blurred into one sketchy recollection of vaguely having been in france. drivers parade was good - can't wait to see dlowe's pics of that
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 01:45:16 pm »

My Le Mans moments are in no particular order

Getting a crowd of people to look up from a F40 engine bay and shout "MOKE" (Moke 1 F40 0) as we drove through Arnarge (went there a lot of F40's?)

Sitting at the bar just in the paddocks on one of the tables on the pavement with all the Group C cars driving past for their qually session, giving a few a push and singing Postman Pat as the swift air tiga drove past.

Getting completley drenched by super soakers in the Moke out side MB on Friday.

Also not coming home with sunburn...............

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 01:57:18 pm »

Bumping into other CA tee shirt wearers.

My mate losing his contramarque, and the subsequent panic  Roll Eyes

Losing car keys, and then remembering the safe place where I'd put them......Lots of moans from other team members who were searching in the grass.

Actually getting the map reading right for once.  (congratualations to this years replacement navigator)   Smiley

Not having a Frank Beila momemt, like we nearly had last year.

Was that the lovely Anna that was with Robbo when I bumped into him?  If it was, then that was a very fine moment  Wink

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 02:16:26 pm »

Definitely has to be meeting up at the 'poo bar Saturday night and being able to talk to other CA'ers in person.

Also encountering 3 elderly French gents on our way out of Parking Vert after Thurs. night qualifiying. There they were sitting around a fold up table in between our car and theirs, with a couple of bottles of vin rouge and eating baguettes with local speciality rillette.

Ah monsieur et Madame - you're not going yet, please join us (but in French).

There followed a convivial time, plenty of pidgeon French on our part and no English at all from them, but a mutual understanding as to why we were all there and the sharing of the experience. And they were only there for the evening! Classic  Smiley and sums it all up for me.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 02:22:51 pm »

Was that the lovely Anna that was with Robbo when I bumped into him?  If it was, then that was a very fine moment  Wink

No it wasnt anna - but im not going to tell you who it was - it will allow the moment to remain with some mystery,  which everyone knows,  makes moments like that a million times better Wink

I'll give you a hint though - "why is that bird sitting in the outside lane waving us past???  oh well, lets pass her........would you like a swe......holy shi*, that TVR must be doing at least 140mph - and it has a woman driving it as well!!!!!"  Wink

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 02:27:22 pm »

1. Being there
2. Meeting all you guys again at the Shampoo bar (especially the swimming instructor!!)
3. The Liverpool boy's hospitality (Forever grateful Brian)
4. Being alongside the T.W.A.*.S. in the tribune (JUST AWESOME GUYS - total respect)
5. Meeting the French family in the tribune whom we met the last three years. They don't speak a word of English but their 5 year old son recognised me and ran up and threw his arms around my neck. His mum gave me the recipe for Tartiflette as well!!!!!
6. More thanks for hospitality and entertainment to Powermite's posse and Canada Phil's sense of humour during massed p*ss taking.

Steve

I tested negative for patience.
MrRS2babe
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 02:37:41 pm »

setting up camp on Sunday only to go home and back to work for 2 days before enjoying the festivities......definitely staying all week next year.

A 4 hour scooter ride topping out at a whopping 50mph down a steep hill, with the bike sounding like a strained hair dryer and realising just before the sharp right hander that brakes on mopeds aren't really that effective at that speed.........

the Thursday night informal gathering at the Liverpool Boys site including Stu's card tricks and fire breathing lessons....

Emergency Chilli sauce dash by our late arrivals on Friday following my unfortunate breakage of existing chilli sauce outside Buffalo Grill on Thursday after MrsRS2 insisted we take it to supplement her nosh...

the list could go on and on........

it was the best - how are we going to top it next year?
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 02:43:32 pm »

Lists are too big :

Meeting at the pub, Tuesday & wednesday night, wishy, mini, pretzel, bobblehat, the MG boys...

Travel down with the Rhino Racing Team in convoy.

Using these little radios for general inter-car chit chat

Ice Cold Beer , Nice Food, Steaks, Meal on Sunday night, The Po bar and more, to much to write down for a few weeks.

And nice to make new Friends, Brad and Ian were a good crack, they may even have a TVR for next year.

Oh and getting a new saying

NEXT YEAR !

Take life by the horns and live it.
JonM
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 02:59:49 pm »

1. The superb fireworks displays around the campsite this year. Must be the best year yet.
2. The entertainment inadvertently provided by our camp site neighbour; a the 40+ year old “Max Power”Essex boy in his be-winged Sierra Cosworth. “Been burning of Ferrari’s all effing day”. etc etc etc ……priceless
3. Touring the Group C paddock and seeing so many fabulous memory evoking cars. Shame the race was such a shambles !
4. Finally getting to drive on a part of the circuit other than the Mulsanne straight.
5. The joy of taking a shower in a cubicle without a turd in it.
ROBMOG
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 03:01:38 pm »

having a frank biela on the way down, driving 20miles out of the way to fill up in Pont L'Abbe (i know it's miles away!)
and then passing the esso service area on the N158 less than 5 miles further on.
that superb piece of totty in the red cat suit in the drivers parade before the race, didn't notice what team they were cos she kept threatening to get em out for the lads, sadly she didn't!! shame (pics can be found on official Le mans web for those who want to re-live that experience)
meeting Tom K on the expo campsite after the race, cos his mom and dad stayed there in a motorhome with all the other danes and he came to see them, what a nice bloke, no probs chatting and signing any thing you wanted, brill geezer, respect!!!
being there for the eighth time and seeing the morgan cross the finish line at the end of the race, despite all the problems, well done the Malvern boys!!!
meeting all the nice people everywhere, CA guys et al it seems only nice people go to Le Mans, another great year.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 03:34:21 pm »

1)   Wonderful trip, great race, good weather, fantastic atmosphere.
2)   Not being in the driver's parade for a change and having Friday to myself to experience Arnage village first-hand!
3)   My 2 lads, at Le Mans for the first time, wide-eyed throughout the weekend, in shock and awe of the race, the campsites and peripheral antics.
4)   The company of good friends and camping next to The Brethren again - great party and fireworks, including the arrival of the fire engine about an hour after the large non-display "firework" had set fire to the oil-drum rubbish bin and already been safely put out.
5)   Missing the saturday night CA meeting and vowing to make it there next year!
6)   Text message from the missus on the way home telling me that England were leading 1-0.   Hurrah!   Followed by pulling in to refuel and refresh at a service station on the autoroute after Rouen, and hearing the cheer in front of the TV in the cafe - 1-1.  Bugger.   Followed by another cheer two minutes later - 1-2.  B****x.
7)   The wonderful thought that it will all be there next year.....

Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
goldfishsps
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 03:35:19 pm »

well what can i say started bad getting caught by the garndame mingy french coppers,just what you want 90 euros lighter before you even get there.
shampoo bar was absolutely fantastic even though the next morning i felt otherwise.big thanks to the rhinos for a great laugh and joining in the convoy,and as for robbo that man is a legend for organising our trip.

big thanks to all of ca because saturday night was fantastic hope next year will be just as good or even better.

Cool
turkish.sps
CA Veteran

Champers Baby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 04:25:14 pm »

First off a massive thanks to the legendary Robbo (who doesn't this guy know?) and co-pilot/bbq king Rich for organising a fantastic weekend and making my first Le Mans an enjoyable one. Just one more turn on those wheel nuts and the trailer will be ok for another year!

Highlights for me include:

Goldfish's 90 Euro fine for driving on the right/wrong side of the road. Hope you got a good exchange rate!!

Accompanying 'TVR Girl' Kate with the roof down and getting soaked. Hey we gave as good as we got.

Getting everyone in MB to assist in repairing the gennie only to find out all it needed was a drop of oil!!

Pulling up next to a scummer and absolutely drenching him with the super soaker. (Play Up Pompey!)

Everything about the 'Poo bar on Sat night (except for the  spinning ride after a cocktail of Champers and Heineken Blleeeuuurgh!). Thanks to my fellow fancy dressers for getting in the spirit and i forget how many wolf whistles my blue pig tails attracted!! (Did anyone notice Robin and the two surgeons hiding in the crowd?)

Getting branded by the Petrol sluts in permanent ink!

The footie on Sunday and everyone who attended, especially those that were asked not to bring beer but did anyway! Also fair play to Gilles for putting in an appearance.

Finally a big to hello to anyone I annoyed over the weekend but forgot your names: Sleeping Rhino and Son (nice meeting you and see you en route next year!), Pitbull (careful with other people's mobile phones!!). anyone from JPC, The Twats etc.

Roll on next year.

"You stole my onions!!"

www.selfpreservationsociety.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: