Club Arnage
May 05, 2024, 04:33:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LPG at Le Mans  (Read 7487 times)
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »

I used to have a camper van, and on occasion it had huge amounts of gas in the back.
Under no circumstances could it have been called 'clean' though.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
nickliv
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 10:14:31 pm »

As LPG has only 80% of the calorific value of petrol, then you would have an engine 80% down on power for the same fuel consumption. Sad

Remember fuel consumption is actually slightly worse on LPG, but the fact that it's much cheaper to buy means people quote an equivalent fuel consumption figure. But when has cost bothered a race team? Roll Eyes

Buck

You're partly right, Buck.  The calorific value of LPG is less than that for petrol, but against that, as LPG is a gas (rather than a vapour as with petrol) you get a much more complete 'burn' of the fuel in the cylinder (which is also why LPG is much 'cleaner').  Ok, the net result is that LPG is still down against petrol, but not by that figure.  Depending on the engine, the LPG equipment etc, it can be as little as 5%.

This is for 'road' cars - I have no experience or data relating to 'tuned' engines.

Del

But with a turbo thrown into the mix, it gets more interesting.

Under high boost, there is a much lower risk of detonation if you're running on LPG, so you can basically whack the boost up to whatever the drivetrain will take.

And if you bung LPG into a clattery diesel engine you get heaps more grunt and better fuel economy (Don't try to run it exclusively on LPG though, otherwise you may melt your engine) (OK, you WILL melt your engine)

An engine runing on North Sea Gas will have much cleaner oil, and won't need a cat, but you must bear in mind the onerous responsibility of dragging the pipe around behind the car.

I once set off a fire alarm with a particularly noxious bottycough. My wife says I shouldn't be proud of that, but I can't help it.
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:33 pm »

I once set off a fire alarm with a particularly noxious bottycough. My wife says I shouldn't be proud of that, but I can't help it.

I did one that made my dog wretch which I was proud of. I've also made someone spew up in a lift once which I was also proud off although funnily enough, my wife says its nothing to be proud of.

Calorific value of LPG to farting humour. How did that happen?
nickliv
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 10:27:03 pm »

I once let rip in the ops room at work, and my neighbour was heard to remark 'Jesus, Livingstone, what the hell have you been eating? Tyres?'

Not tyres. Old foam backed carpet.

The fire alarm was in a hospital too  laugh
NelisB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 04:21:47 pm »

Because I'm also traveling to Le Mans this year with a car that runs on LPG. I was also looking for the samething, a site or something that has all the LPG gas station in it. I found this website. It has all the gas stations in the area.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:24:10 pm by NelisB » Logged

2008 - First time Le Mans
2009 - Second time?
Fartmeister1
CA Veteran

I'm a Gascon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 06:10:07 pm »

You could try this site too French Government run with prices for diesel GPL and petrol
http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
Buck Bundy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 11:53:31 pm »

Of all the vehicles I could take this year my 4.7L V8 Jeep is the last on the list! (I'm taking the smallest engined instead - 599cc!)

Having said that, I did keep an eye out for LPG pumps last time out in France and I don't think I saw any Autoroute service stations without LPG.

Bugger, how did we get back to LPG, I much preferred the farting  Shocked

Who thinks LPG smells of rotten veg? The puff you get when you disconnect the pipe makes your hands stink for ages. Tongue

Buck
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: