Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 06:01:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1046619 times)
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: May 27, 2008, 02:15:52 am »

All the good old stuff has been removed or scrapped, the best is hidden away in his sheds.
RS2.3 MK1 with ducktail spoiler Capri is there somewhere, as is Janspeed 3.0L MK3 (seen that), plus all the mad specials he built. 3.5 V8 Fiesta MK1, V6 Mini etc
His dads 3.0 Capri is sat in the same garage as it was parked in 20 years ago after its last drive before he died. Regularly started, fueled etc...... typical scrap yard nutter. Love em Grin

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 27, 2008, 12:10:02 pm »

Do I detect though, with the implication of you having to walk back for a petrol can, that the test run breakdown was caused by something so trivial as having insufficient fuel in the tank in the first place?  If so, methinks that her mockery of you may have been warranted.... Wink 

MG Mark

How is that my fault?  Huh   Wink Actually the fuel gauge wasn't indicating that matters were quite so critical.

As for the clutch someone has come to my rescue on the Commervan Fan forum and a set of rubbers and new piston are in the post tonight!

PS I'd no idea the MG was half German! You live and learn! I'm imagining it was taken to Bruggen by some handlebar-moustached roustabout ex-WWII fighter pilot, who then sold it on to a chum, who sold it on to another chu in turn until it fell into your mercies.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 27, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Do I detect though, with the implication of you having to walk back for a petrol can, that the test run breakdown was caused by something so trivial as having insufficient fuel in the tank in the first place?  If so, methinks that her mockery of you may have been warranted.... Wink 

MG Mark

How is that my fault?  Huh   Wink Actually the fuel gauge wasn't indicating that matters were quite so critical.

As for the clutch someone has come to my rescue on the Commervan Fan forum and a set of rubbers and new piston are in the post tonight!

PS I'd no idea the MG was half German! You live and learn! I'm imagining it was taken to Bruggen by some handlebar-moustached roustabout ex-WWII fighter pilot, who then sold it on to a chum, who sold it on to another chu in turn until it fell into your mercies.

I never work off the fuel gauge - one of the MGA's quirks is that the gauge permanently reads 2/3 full and I've never got round to finding out why, as the trip/odometer on the speedo always gave me the signal to fill up every 200-300 miles depending upon how "spirited" the driving had been.  However, since fitting it with the the MGB gearbox with overdrive, the speedo needs recalibrating so is currently disconnected, thus, the "fill-'er-up" estimate is now usually done on a combination of estimated miles on the map and time run. 

And, yes, the MGA did form an integral part of NATO's Cold War defences, from 1977 (when she was taken out there by the chap I bought it from in 1981) until she came back with me in 1983 - and, yes, he was a moustachioed pilot of fast jets, who had bought it in 1975 from the old garage at the junction of A4 and the North Circular (can't remember its name for now, but I know it's on the receipt for the car from when he purchased it).  He used it in UK for 2 years at Cranwell and Lossiemouth and then took it to Germany in 1977, where due to her failing the test on arrival in Germany (dodgy brakes, lack of lights and rusty body work) she then sat forlorn and unloved, whilst he drove around in a brand new TR7 paid for by overseas allowances and flying pay.  Uncaring brute. 

I clapped eyes on her on my arrival in 1979 and spent 2 years trying to persuade him to sell (because he was going to "do it up"), which he eventually did on his last night before posting back to UK in 1981.  Much work later and she became as you know her now.  There was also a second stint of defence duties for her out there, based at Rheindahlen from 1991-94, but this time restored to former glory, mobile, and fully capable of a rapid response to any pesky Russkie invasion.

The new clutch bits for the Commer is music to the ears - it sounds like there is every chance that the Commer will be purring contentedly along the old N138 (or whatever it is called now) enroute to Le Mans Roll Eyes.  Good luck with the fitting and bleeding Grin

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
nickliv
« Reply #1713 on: May 27, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »

Good luck with the fitting and bleeding Grin

[/quote]

fingers
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 27, 2008, 10:58:43 pm »

ditto

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 27, 2008, 11:51:55 pm »

Mark,

That garage was heaven to me in the 70's, it had a clock tower and big showroom full of orgasmic machinery.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 28, 2008, 06:49:06 pm »

Mark,

That garage was heaven to me in the 70's, it had a clock tower and big showroom full of orgasmic machinery.

I know, same for me in the late 70s whilst I was at RAF Hendon, along with another garage along the Edgeware Road - Straight Six I think that one was called.  Plenty of time spent drooling through the windows of both!

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1717 on: May 28, 2008, 07:46:41 pm »

Andy - Have you seen the latest mag - Roadscene (browsed thru it at WH Smitts)

Have a 3 page article on the Commer PB.

this is the first page
http://www.roadscene.com/The%20Commer%20PB,%20Page%2060.pdf

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 29, 2008, 01:09:26 am »

Never knew some had front acting handbrake.... could prove interesting with 2 fat bastards in the front and trying to show off on tarmac Grin

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 29, 2008, 01:13:11 am »

Never knew some had front acting handbrake.... could prove interesting with 2 fat bastards in the front and trying to show off on tarmac Grin

It works, to be fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCWLlPBGFho

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: May 30, 2008, 05:10:29 pm »

Knocked off at lunch today. Clutch working, fuel in the tank, Commer on the road, re-taxed for another 12 months. MOT at 12.00 tuesday (in ruddy Solihull on Monday  Sad)

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 30, 2008, 05:16:06 pm »

Will start gathering in all the good luck omens i have and start praying for tuesday.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
nickliv
« Reply #1722 on: May 30, 2008, 05:17:37 pm »

Whooppee. One step closer. Is it going to be on Nord or Sud?
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 30, 2008, 08:03:39 pm »

Knocked off at lunch today. Clutch working, fuel in the tank, Commer on the road, re-taxed for another 12 months. MOT at 12.00 tuesday (in ruddy Solihull on Monday  Sad)

Well that takes aload off of my mind.
Congrats Andy !

Cant wait to see the pics of this years arrival.
Keep her between the ditches,and enjoy the ride.

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 31, 2008, 09:33:27 pm »

Marvellous news.  True British never-say-die spirit (even if you did waver initially, oh infidel unbeliever).  Never say never.  Banzai.  Damn the Torpedoes.  Watch out les flics, 'cos the Commewr is coming your way.  Bloody well done.

The MGA has also passed her annual health check with the Ministry, is taxed and now has new boots as well as being in tune.  Had a damned fine run out to Suffolk and back today in sunshine to celebrate.   

MG Mark

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: