Club Arnage
May 21, 2024, 10:39:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic car meet-up on Friday 15th June  (Read 20305 times)
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:05:18 pm »

This press release just arrived:

Motor Racing Legends has announced the eligible years for Le Mans Legend 2007, the historic support race to the modern Le Mans 24 Hours. On the morning of Saturday 16th June 2007, a few hours before the start of the world’s greatest endurance race, a grid of 61 Le Mans cars from 1956 to 1968 will take to the famous La Sarthe circuit for a one-hour, two-driver support race.

“The period we have chosen for the 2007 Le Mans Legend race covers the great ‘Ferrari era’ at Le Mans,” says Motor Racing Legends Chairman, Duncan Wiltshire, “and leads to the emergence of the Ford GT40 and Ford’s eventual domination of the 24 Hours. To many, the Ford vs Ferrari battles of the 1960s encapsulate the very essence of Le Mans history. But by taking the eligible years back to 1956, we will also cover the two Ecurie Ecosse wins in Jaguar D-types; followed by Ferrari’s incredible string of victories from 1958 to 1965, broken only by Aston Martin’s win in 1959 with its fabulous DBR1.

“The chosen era is also the time of the Aston Martin DB4 GT and Project cars; of the Lightweight E-types, not to mention an immense variety of Porsches; plus MGA and MGB; Maserati Birdcage and AC Cobra; Triumphs and Lotuses; Austin-Healey Sprite and Morgan; and a wealth of other intriguing models from the Alfa Romeo T33 to Alpine A210 Renault, Bizzarrini, Morgan and Abarth. In short, we are highly excited at the prospect of revisiting so many historic battles at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans weekend.”

The Le Mans Legend race is run by Motor Racing Legends in partnership with the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, and is for actual cars which ran at Le Mans and genuine sister cars of the same specification. This historic support race to the Le Mans 24 Hours is run on the full 8.5-mile circuit and starts with the traditional ‘ear of corn’ formation, in which drivers run across the track to their cars. It has become a vital part of the Le Mans experience, and is tremendously popular with the 230,000 spectators who flock to the 24 Hours race weekend.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:52:05 pm by Kpy » Logged
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:29:17 am »

Oh heck, Sprites et al! Thats buggered nipping to Carrefour on Saturday morning for Gary Frogeye and me then!

GT40s too.

Bring it on!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:13:25 am »

Do you think they'll let me slip onto the grid?

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:29:40 am »

Do you think they'll let me slip onto the grid?

Well that's a Sprite, a Frogeye and an MGA as a minimum for definite ready to boost the field then Grin.  And doubtless Steve's Cobra when he reads this one.   and H's Jag.  Plus, of course don't forget the immortal Commer which, with its cavernous load space, could also be used to carry refreshments for gentleman (and any lady) drivers for that occasional pick-me-up required around the circuit.

If they won't let us onto the grid, then we'll just barge through onto the slip road up at the start of the Mulsanne from the Chemin de Boeufs (I always have liked that street name - the "Way of the Beefs"...

Sounds like a recipe for a brilliant support race grid  Grin Grin Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:01:41 am »

I better take the MG badges orf and find a few Spritist ones then...

Deffo bring it on.

Got that A up to scratch now then Mark? I 'spect you'll hammer me on the Mulsanne!

What tyres shall I have? Yoko's I 'spect. Better find a nice tidy hard top too.

Grin Grin Grin

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:01:21 am »

Got that A up to scratch now then Mark? I 'spect you'll hammer me on the Mulsanne!  Grin Grin Grin

Just have to sort out a couple mods to the ignition and fuel system to deliver enough fuel to sustain full throttle and fit a decent cam to it.  Then I stand a good chance of trouncing your wolf is sheep's clothing, you old bandit.... Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 10:06:03 am »

Got that A up to scratch now then Mark? I 'spect you'll hammer me on the Mulsanne! Grin Grin Grin

Just have to sort out a couple mods to the ignition and fuel system to deliver enough fuel to sustain full throttle and fit a decent cam to it. Then I stand a good chance of trouncing your wolf is sheep's clothing, you old bandit.... Grin

MG Mark

Mine is sheep in wolfs clothing.

SteveB
CA Veteran

I'm a llamanser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 08:57:23 pm »

Mine's a sheep in sheeps clothing !

"If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence you ever tried." - David Brent
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 09:08:43 pm »

Old bandit! Quite the nicest thing anyone has said to me for ages...

I thought about a "faster" cam for next year but she seems quite lively enough as she is.

Running on cast-off Metro bits at the moment and the Fordy gearbox.

And dont buy that humble stuff off Gary either, sheep? Humbug!

Shocked

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:14:38 pm »

Old bandit! Quite the nicest thing anyone has said to me for ages...

I thought about a "faster" cam for next year but she seems quite lively enough as she is.

Running on cast-off Metro bits at the moment and the Fordy gearbox.

And dont buy that humble stuff off Gary either, sheep? Humbug!

Shocked

How could I be anything but polite and kind to such gentlemen, with such similar taste in fine motor cars Grin, compared to all the modern wurst eaters and rice burners.   Even if your motor is aspirating beyond its orginal design Wink   Mine does, however, have the benefit of refinements such as wind-up windows in propoer window frames and a roof that doesn't flap around like a demented tent, but a little more go would not go amiss - the head is already gas-flowed and the exhaust is a good 'un, so a fast road cam is probably the next logical thing, along with sorting out the fuel delivery and ignition circuits so that it doesn't die of starvation about 500rpm shy of the limit. 

I wouldn't think you'd want much of a wilder cam though or it will just get undriveable in normal traffic - if you are bolting on Metro bits, of course the next logical step must be the Metro turbo, which would enable you to up change to a taller diff.  Plus roller rockers to increase the rev limit.   Then you could really frighten yourself fartless at full whack down the Mulsanne Grin .  Oh and mix about 2-3% toluene in with a tank full - that'll up the octane rating a treat.   

MG Mark

garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 01:10:22 am »

MG Mark,
I hope you're not insinuating that Purdu's and my cars are anything other than the way they left the factory (1958 in mine ones case).
Oh apart from the five speed box and telescopic shocks and bigger engine and bigger brakes and cd player oh!
The door handles would have been the same (except i don't have any). Wink

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 12:37:04 pm »

This race sounds terrific to me, does anyone know what time it starts?

I've enjoyed all the A-Series nonsense too, rimflo valves won't be enough and no doubt you'll all be doing DOHC 16V conversions this time next year.  Cheesy

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 12:44:52 pm »

Usually around 10 if memory serves (which it doesn't always!)  Rather put paid to any silly ideas that that other race will start in the morning.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
rcutler
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 01:32:43 pm »

I've enjoyed all the A-Series nonsense too, rimflo valves won't be enough and no doubt you'll all be doing DOHC 16V conversions this time next year.  Cheesy

Wow a happy message from Mr Zarse!!! Even at this time of year!
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 03:54:53 pm »

Andy,

Subject to discussion with the other "old bandits", I think probably whatever time we fancy it starting......and are compos mentis enough to get our sh*t in one sock enough to be in the same place at the same time.   The Commer could of course play a starring role as the lead pace car.     

Now then, DOHC 16v conversions are going a bit too far for gents whose conveyances are, at least to outer appearances, pretty standard and have been modified within the bounds of good taste.   Even if such mods are aimed at boosting performance.   I read an article recently where an MGA had been "transformed" into an "MGA for today" by converting it to fully independent suspension all round (yes the back end too!) and the engine/ drive train from a Honda Vtec something or other - I just thought why not just buy the Honda with the stuff fitted in the first place?   And it isn't an MGA for today - that's what became (with help from the Metro) the MGF having gone through the MGB/Midget in their various forms and the RV8. 

Anyway - back to the point - there must be enough CA old farts classic car enthusiasts who pitch up in something nice to sort out a suitable meeting point at some point somewhere there?   Thoughts?

MG Mark

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: