Club Arnage
May 07, 2024, 09:25:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Season so far.  (Read 634 times)
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2023, 09:34:38 am »

So Spa is over and the teams will move on to Le Mans. What do you think so far? Below are some thoughts.
I like the way they have tried to balance the cars out. The cars are all wind tunnel tested so drag and downforce is noted and all cars should have the same potential. It's the getting the potential 100% of the time is key. Also no tyre warmers this year so tyre's getting up to temperature can be a factor. Also no intermediates. Only wet and two compounds of slick tyre's(3 at Le Mans). Only 500kw 670hp allowed at any one time with or without hybrid.
Toyota, most experienced and car working fine. Seem to be most consistent and started a wet Spa on slick's. Lost places for a few laps then tyre's warmed up and they never looked like loosing. They have a hybrid that works on the front and does not kick in until 120kph. Possibly why Brendon Hartley crashed in qualifying. You are only allowed 500kw/670hp at any time so the cut of power from rear to front on cold tyres could be a factor.
Ferrari, car is quick but team have made mistakes. The car is yet to be consistent. Quick on wets but the switch to slicks they took a long time to warm up, longer than the Toyota so lost a lot of time. Also another crash on out lap from pits. Front hybrid system so could be same problem as Toyota with some power kicking in to front wheels on cold tyres. I am hoping Le Mans won't be as cold as Spa and stay dry but tyre management could be important at night when cooler.
Porche. Car has won in Long Beach but struggled in WEC. I thought it looked good at speed at Daytona so could be better at Le Mans. At Portimao they seemed to struggle with rear tyre wear. Rear drive hybrid with a lower activation speed could be a factor. You have to question Penske decisions. Running out of fuel at Portimao and at Spa they ran out of electrical power, you are only allowed so much per stint and they pushed a lap to many. Will be interesting to see how JOTA do with it.
Cadillac. Sounds great! Looks good over bumps so could ride the kerbs well at Le Mans for extra speed. Seemed to lack top speed at Daytona, powered out of corners well though. Again rear hybrid system and normally aspirated engine.
Peugeot. The wingless wonder. Designed for the straights at Le Mans, so no rear wing. Entered the WEC after Le Mans last year but has struggled. A change from electric to hydraulic gear shift has helped reliability but yet to achieve consistent pace. In theory at Le Mans it will be good at top speed and through traffic as the downforce is created by the floor and diffuser. The hybrid is front wheel driven and kicks in at 100kph. Could be the dark horse.
Glickenhaus. Lovely car but non hybrid. Will hopefully finish trouble free but doesn't have the pace of the works teams.
Floyd Vanwall Racing team or Bykolles. Currently in a legal dispute over use of the Vanwall name. Non hybrid and might make the start...
So being consistent is key and Toyota are the only team doing it. Will be a great Le Mans if the all manage it.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 05:58:19 pm »

No tyre warmers is going to result in a driver being injured or worse IMHO.
 Sad
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 09:15:43 am »

"Ferrari, car is quick but team have made mistakes. The car is yet to be consistent."

Sounds like the team is operating to the same rules as the F1 Fezzer method, "Go out, be red, very red. Let the world adore us!"

Thanks for the update which tells me much of what I need to enjoy the race Rhino.

Must say, getting excited again.

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 01:18:31 pm »

I understand that tyre warmers have been reinstated for LM.
No news on if that applies to the remaining WEC races though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: