Club Arnage
May 16, 2024, 08:39:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ouistreham  (Read 6029 times)
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:21:22 pm »

A change in channel crossing routes for next year means that we will be on the Portsmouth-Caen route.
I am lead to believe that Ouistreham is a pleasant place to lunch, before boarding the boat for home.
Any suggestions of particular restaurants, or just head for the quayside?

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:55:48 pm »

A change in channel crossing routes for next year means that we will be on the Portsmouth-Caen route.
I am lead to believe that Ouistreham is a pleasant place to lunch, before boarding the boat for home.
Any suggestions of particular restaurants, or just head for the quayside?

Do just that, Nobby.  There is  wall-to-wall eateries and bars all round the car park, and there is usually some quite exotic stuff in the car park to look at as well.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:47:34 pm »

Lovely beach, good food, and if your into your DDay beaches, the observation tower if you have time

Wooosh!!!!
BryanC
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:10:09 pm »

Yes - but its a bit so-so now and you have to go away from the front to get a good meal now.

We used to eat at the Broche d'Argent on the way home and spend-up using the maximum amount of euros having a slap-up sea-food meal, the one that comes on a multi-storey dish with crabs, moules - in fact the lot. The patron was especially good - you'd ask for more wine / frites or bread, he'd ignore you, you'd ask a waitress about 10 mins later and they would both turn up with the food and pop.

Lots of moules and buckets full of muscadet - its wonder we could get back to the boat.

Last year we arrived ( it was a Bank Holiday Monday I think ? ) and everywhere was closed except the good old Broche, and its now been turned into a Pizza emporter, so it was the old steak and chips on the boat.

My recommendation is a place halfway down the LHS of the Rue LeClerc. It became a strong favourite, and if you keep your head down, you can see its the favourite for the Boys in Blue who eat in a back room. That suggests it must be good if the locals favour it.

Keep rocking...
BryanC

And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
BryanC
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »

Correction

It the Restaurant Coin de Port - 94 Avenue Michel Cabieu

Google street view is your friend.

And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Brian

Ok where are the Pikie's

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:40:29 pm »

We always eat here, great food great choice at a good price, advisable to book.

Restaurant la Rascasse - 78 avenue de la Mer - 14150 OUISTREHAM (Calvados) - Tél :             02 31 97 14 34       - contact@restaurant-la-rascasse.com
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:13:25 pm »

Sad to see the Broche has gone.  It was actually a hotel, and we'd stay in there on the Monday night and go home on the 8 am Tuesday ferry, which was rediculously cheap and more than paid for 3 hotel rooms @ €25, a slap up meal and all the wine you could cope with

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »

If it was me I'd stop off at Putanges Pont Ecrepin near Falaise on the way back at the Lion Verd (Copper Lion) and have one hell of a meal at non-tourist prices. It's about 45 mins from Ouistreham, and you have live lobsters in the tank if you so choose, and the rest of the menu is good too. It's a Logis de france so family owned, and I've stayed there and eaten there more times than I care to mention. Never had a bad meal either. Just plan to be there about 7pm, eat well and take your time with a good bottle from the wine list, and you'll head home with a good memory. And no, it isn't dear, like the captive restaurants around the port at Ouistreham.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 10:53:46 am »

If it was me I'd stop off at Putanges Pont Ecrepin near Falaise on the way back at the Lion Verd (Copper Lion) and have one hell of a meal at non-tourist prices. It's about 45 mins from Ouistreham, and you have live lobsters in the tank if you so choose, and the rest of the menu is good too. It's a Logis de france so family owned, and I've stayed there and eaten there more times than I care to mention. Never had a bad meal either. Just plan to be there about 7pm, eat well and take your time with a good bottle from the wine list, and you'll head home with a good memory. And no, it isn't dear, like the captive restaurants around the port at Ouistreham.

Thats a lovely place, right in the square beside the river. We had breakfast there last year en-route to the classic. If you are heading that way you can use some of the best roads in the region- all traffic free with pretty villages along the way.
 From Le Mans take the D304 to Sile-le- Guillaume then head north to Villaines > Pre-en-Pail > Carrouges > Ranes > Fromentel > Putanges-Pont-Ecrepin.
 We had a great run down last year in convoy with the ex Peter Bolton AC Ace that features in this months Octane magazine.

Si

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 10:52:15 am »

LB, we'll keep that route to ourselves I reckon. I've used it for over 20 years now and it is still as fresh and good as ever. When I disembark at Ouistreham I always stop atop the Corniche de Pail just to take in the view. Stunning with the early morning sun lookin down across the landscape.  But back on topic, they speak good english in the hotel. Will be there in a month or so for lunch.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:57 am »

they speak good english in the hotel

They kept that quiet about that all the time I was using my best Francais!

F
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 11:34:30 am »

Obviously your Francais is of a sufficiently good standard not to make them wince, and revert to English.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 11:36:19 am »

Obviously your Francais is of a sufficiently good standard not to make them wince, and revert to English.

But of course!

Or maybe Si's Roma numberplate fooled them.....

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:43:57 am by Fran » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: