Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 04:02:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping in parking  (Read 6819 times)
Dorset Lad
CA Veteran

Am Yum!

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2006, 11:56:55 am »

Help anyone!
Me and my son are travelling down to Le mans from St malo on the Thursday enening. Past years we have always booked through MRI and camped, but as they no longer offered me the Poole-St Malo route (I live in Dorset), I have opted to buy directly from ACO. I decided, after reading some posts here, that we could sleep in my 4WD as it is quite comfortable and my question is about being able to sleep in the parking areas. We plan to get there for the practice Thursday evening, but now I am wondering if this is somewhat silly and that I should buy a camping ticket here or on ebay. Has anyone ever slept in the parking areas prior to the race Saturday, or is it well policed?

Dorset Lad
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 12:15:01 pm »

So long as you are not pitching anything, then nobody can say anything to you. You have paid to park your vehicle and if you chose to sleep in it whilst parked then thats your business. Go for it, I sleep in my car all the time when going to watch 2 day rallies and can get a really good nights sleep usually. If thats what you want to do, then theres no need to buy an over priced camping ticket.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 12:46:25 pm »

Help anyone!
Me and my son are travelling down to Le mans from St malo on the Thursday enening. Past years we have always booked through MRI and camped, but as they no longer offered me the Poole-St Malo route (I live in Dorset), I have opted to buy directly from ACO. I decided, after reading some posts here, that we could sleep in my 4WD as it is quite comfortable and my question is about being able to sleep in the parking areas. We plan to get there for the practice Thursday evening, but now I am wondering if this is somewhat silly and that I should buy a camping ticket here or on ebay. Has anyone ever slept in the parking areas prior to the race Saturday, or is it well policed?
Until this year, we have always slept in/alongside our car - this is the first time we have bothered with camping tickets.  Never had any probs apart from the one described in my previous posting (above).

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:52:52 pm »

If you have a tent I'd throw it in the car as you'll often see tents alongside cars in the parking areas.  In theory there is nonthing to prevent you carrying your tent into one of the camping areas and setting it up, and not paying anything!

Really depends how comfortable you think it will be sleeping in a 4WD!
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 01:10:42 pm »

If you have a tent I'd throw it in the car as you'll often see tents alongside cars in the parking areas.  In theory there is nonthing to prevent you carrying your tent into one of the camping areas and setting it up, and not paying anything!

Really depends how comfortable you think it will be sleeping in a 4WD!
No problem about sleeping in the car. In theory there is a big problem with the tent. The ACO are becoming gradually more aware of us all camping for no more than the parking fee in a car park. I did it for years in Parking Blue. In 2002 or maybe earlier they started the bivouac area in Bleu, chasing anyone with a tent into it, but providing some "facilities". This year the old bivouac area has become Bleu Nord, and the ACO will be out to tell anyone with a tent to take it down. I've been "moved on" on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in the past. I'm quite sure that come Saturday evening you'll be able to put up a tent where you like.
The ACO is still offering Beausejour camping tickets on-line http://tinyurl.com/lmhk6 - or pick up a ticket on this forum - you don't need e-b*y  Wink
Take a couple of mountain bikes with you if you have them and you'll be self-sufficient for as long as you're there.
Dorset Lad
CA Veteran

Am Yum!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:36:14 pm »

Thanks everybody, I have made the decision to park and sleep in the 4WD and I have also just bought 2 Leonard grandstand tickets on ebay. Cost a lot of money, but for the first time we will have a good view of the build-up to the race start and somewhere to rest our legs.
 Grin

Dorset Lad
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 09:00:42 pm »

Very sensible Dorset Lad.

I have had seats in the ACO grandstand for the past 7 years and will continue to do so  Cool
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 09:49:18 pm »

Like wishy said good desision based on the car boot site you just coughed into for the grandstand tickets.
watch this site next year if you are not supported by the ACO for your order.

good to have you as a member. We look after you by selling at Face Value.
Meet us all at the champayne bar saturday race night at 9pm onward.

Andy
SpriteII
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 10:57:21 am »

We quite often do it though it has to be said than an AH Sprite is not the most comfortable of sleeping places.

However, be aware that cars get very cold at night, even in summer so do make sure you've got some blankets or sleeping bags.  A couple of pillows will also be more comfortable than spending all night with your face against the rear ashtray.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 03:08:45 pm »

We quite often do it though it has to be said than an AH Sprite is not the most comfortable of sleeping places.

However, be aware that cars get very cold at night, even in summer so do make sure you've got some blankets or sleeping bags.  A couple of pillows will also be more comfortable than spending all night with your face against the rear ashtray.

And don't forget to crack open the windows a tiny amount if driving a modern car. The amount of condensation caused by a couple of people sleeping is considerable.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 10:47:03 pm »

Hmmmm....sounds like you are talking from experience here Pretzel.........and I thought you were past that sort of thing....nod,nod wink,wink......say..... Grin
Dorset Lad
CA Veteran

Am Yum!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 01:59:55 pm »

No problem with the sleeping conditions! I take out all the rear seats that leaves plenty of room for 2. Electric light, aircon and fridge all onboard, so shouldn't be too bad. Also, just joined club ACO (as if I hadn't pay'd out enough this year!) as I thought their facilities will be greatly recieved come Saturday. Only myself joined though, can anyone tell me if I can take 1 guest into the ACO lounges & hospitality?

Dorset Lad
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 05:37:07 pm »

No problem with the sleeping conditions! I take out all the rear seats that leaves plenty of room for 2. Electric light, aircon and fridge all onboard, so shouldn't be too bad. Also, just joined club ACO (as if I hadn't pay'd out enough this year!) as I thought their facilities will be greatly recieved come Saturday. Only myself joined though, can anyone tell me if I can take 1 guest into the ACO lounges & hospitality?

Yes you can. Just rock up the the Welcome Centre on ther Saturday with your guest and your membership card and they will give you and you your guest a bracelet (the irreversible plastic riveting type as used at rock concerts and hospitals - NOT to be confused with other forms of club bracelets as recently mentioned on this forum  Wink)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 05:45:19 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Dorset Lad
CA Veteran

Am Yum!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 02:41:50 pm »

Is that the welcome centre up at Expo, or is it somewhere else. I have to pick up my membership at the ACO HQ, and wonder if the two are the same.

As for bracelets, the last time I wore one was probably when I was born and had nappies on! Hey, now thats a thought, to cancel out the toilet problem over the week, wear nappies!! Why has noboddy suggested this? Perhaps I could make money manufacturing special 24 hour endurance pants to cover the cost of my tickets.  Shocked

Dorset Lad
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 02:51:26 pm »

Is that the welcome centre up at Expo, or is it somewhere else. I have to pick up my membership at the ACO HQ, and wonder if the two are the same.

I was referring to the welcome centre at the back of what was the Village, this is where we have always gone for the bracelets, members souvenir packs etc..

You MAY be able to get all this at the main ACO office but I am not sure.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: