Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 08:22:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indycar at St Petersburg  (Read 7198 times)
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:18:50 am »

Anyone been there ?   
Is the weekend after Sebring next March, thinking about passing there so would like to know whether it's worth staying around Florida then.

Just saw on their fan guide no lenses bigger than 10 inch would be allowed ... are they serious about that ?  Measured my "little" 300 mm which would just fit in the 10" range.  Guess you'll need big lenses over there to take some good pictures.

Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:15 pm »

Time for Diffractive Optics lens?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-300mm-do-is.htm

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »

I think they mean 10 inches in overall exterior size (so that dumb security bozos have a simple rule to apply). Perhaps a 500mm mirror lens would do the trick, and not too expensive either.

GF

Anyone been there ?   
Is the weekend after Sebring next March, thinking about passing there so would like to know whether it's worth staying around Florida then.

Just saw on their fan guide no lenses bigger than 10 inch would be allowed ... are they serious about that ?  Measured my "little" 300 mm which would just fit in the 10" range.  Guess you'll need big lenses over there to take some good pictures.

Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:49 pm »

Not a big fan of DO and mirror lenses, image quality isn't good enough.
I could bring my 300 mm f4 in, combined with a 1,4 extender I'd still have 420 mm.  Add the old 20D with that which has a 1,6 crop and it should be quite ok.   Downpoint : dragging another camera and lens with me ... this year at Sebring I had already 18 kgs of camera's and lenses on my back and as hand luggage on the plane  Undecided.

Anyone been before at St Pete for a race ?  Would like to know whether there are good viewing points without a fence in front of you.

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »

... this year at Sebring I had already 18 kgs of camera's and lenses on my back and as hand luggage on the plane  Undecided
Good grief, thats the weight of a small child

Interestingly, Fresnel spotlights are used as they give a soft edge, compared to a spot with proper lenses.  The ridges must give some scatter

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:42:01 pm »

Fresnel lenses are used in spotlights because they reduce weight, size and cost. You can find a Fresnel lens in pretty much every car headlight. Using a Fresnel lens for imaging is a whole other challenge. You are limited to longer focal lengths and you'll need to be that much more careful to avoid any off-axis light hitting the Fresnel element. I have to say that like Dottore, I'm not a big fan of DO, although I do find the technology fascinating. 

... this year at Sebring I had already 18 kgs of camera's and lenses on my back and as hand luggage on the plane  Undecided
Good grief, thats the weight of a small child

Interestingly, Fresnel spotlights are used as they give a soft edge, compared to a spot with proper lenses.  The ridges must give some scatter
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:18:43 am »

Not a big fan of DO and mirror lenses, image quality isn't good enough.
I could bring my 300 mm f4 in, combined with a 1,4 extender I'd still have 420 mm.  Add the old 20D with that which has a 1,6 crop and it should be quite ok.   Downpoint : dragging another camera and lens with me ... this year at Sebring I had already 18 kgs of camera's and lenses on my back and as hand luggage on the plane  Undecided.

Anyone been before at St Pete for a race ?  Would like to know whether there are good viewing points without a fence in front of you.

The only downside to that plan is that you need to be able to guarantee bright sunlight to make your 300mm f4 any use.

I've decided less is more for Sebring.  I took a 300mm lens out there (1.6 crop), and even from the public viewing areas, I didn't really feel the need to use it.  Surely out there you only need a 70-200mm f2.8 and a 24-70mm for the campsites and pit lane?  and maybe a 1,4 extender??

As for DO - I don't think "likes them" per-se - they're just a convenient package for circumstances such as this - I have a friend who swears by them for getting his camera into gigs that he wants to take photos at too.  I've never really used one - well not that I've seen the results of anyway - but reviews suggest that barring a little Chromatic Abberation and a little vignetting on full frame cameras, the lenses are not all that far away from Standard L Series glass..... Like GF,  I also find the technology fascinating - but in contrast to that - I'd see the effect of using the off-axis light on the Fresnel as an opportunity to exploit the oddities of the lens, and make images that nobody else could.....whether it would work or not, is a discussion for a photography forum though Wink

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 12:44:50 am »

The only downside to that plan is that you need to be able to guarantee bright sunlight to make your 300mm f4 any use.

I've decided less is more for Sebring.  I took a 300mm lens out there (1.6 crop), and even from the public viewing areas, I didn't really feel the need to use it.  Surely out there you only need a 70-200mm f2.8 and a 24-70mm for the campsites and pit lane?  and maybe a 1,4 extender??

Not really.  Allmost all the pictures I took at the last BTCC race were taken with the f4, some even with the 1,4 extender on it.  Just don't be afraid to get into high iso settings, even in daylight.  At Sebring I took some shots on 600 mm (300 x 2) and a lot on 420 mm ... but that's mainly because I'm often into tight crops and head shots, which are difficult from spectator areas.

The DO technology is really interesting to read about, but I don't have the feeling with it as I've got with my L-glass.   I'm on the edge of buying a second hand tilt&shift lens right now, could be massive fun in the paddock or even on the startgrid, but mainly for architecture and citytrips.

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 01:14:18 am »

Hi Dottore, regarding debris fencing at St. Pete? I haven't been there, but have been to the Belle Isle circuit in Detroit, very similar in layout to St. Pete.  You'll probably have a hard time finding a place to shoot from with out fencing in the way.  Our traditional, purpose built road courses usually have plenty of places to photograph from without fencing, but not the street circuits.  The spectators are very close to the action at the street circuits, and since there's virtually no runoff, the organizers are very cautious.  St. Pete is probably completely debris fencing lined.  Your best bet may be to purchase a photo pass (at additional cost of course).  Most circuits offer these, they will allow you to shoot through gaps in the fencing that the regular spectator passes don't allow access to.
This is in addtion to what I just posted.  I'll be honest, I looked at the website for the GP of St. Pete and didn't see any mention of camera restrictions, other than not using tripods in the stands.  Which fan guide did you get the information from, I'm curious.  This is site I was looking at http://www.gpstpete.com/
Fax
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:47:24 am by Fax MKII » Logged
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 04:46:55 am »

Hi Kristoff,

Your best bet is to ask Lee Self from Turn 10 about photography at St Pete. He does live there afterall. Also Randy, Sandy or some of the others from Turn 10 also live in St Pete and attend the Indycar race but Lee would be the one to ask as the others just generally drink rather than take photos at the race.

Got to admit, I fancy staying over for the race myself next year and may consider it.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 04:17:51 pm »

Hi Kristoff,

Your best bet is to ask Lee Self from Turn 10 about photography at St Pete. He does live there afterall. Also Randy, Sandy or some of the others from Turn 10 also live in St Pete and attend the Indycar race but Lee would be the one to ask as the others just generally drink rather than take photos at the race.

Got to admit, I fancy staying over for the race myself next year and may consider it.

Hi Chris,
          Would you be staying to continue drinking or to to take a few more pictures angel
As much as I would like to stay I will have had to return to work after drinking too much at Sebring  Grin
Phil
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 04:43:54 am »

Room for both Phil, room for both !
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 03:01:05 pm »

Your best bet may be to purchase a photo pass (at additional cost of course).  Most circuits offer these, they will allow you to shoot through gaps in the fencing that the regular spectator passes don't allow access to.
This is in addtion to what I just posted.  I'll be honest, I looked at the website for the GP of St. Pete and didn't see any mention of camera restrictions, other than not using tripods in the stands.  Which fan guide did you get the information from, I'm curious.  This is site I was looking at http://www.gpstpete.com/
Fax

This is where I found the 10" rule : http://www.gpstpete.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=240#md
I'll have to look into those photo passes which can be purchased, but can't seem to find anything about it (might be too soon now, 4 months before the race)

Hi Kristoff,

Thanks, I'll check with Lee about it then.  Should be great to have someone who know's his way around there.

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 08:39:45 pm »

Guess I missed that one, didn't look under media devices, just scanned the permitted, and prohibited stuff.  That is a bit strange that they don't have anything in the way of ticket prices or availablity posted yet.  If they don't offer photo passes for sale to the general public, you may be able to apply for one through their media credential office.  Rick might be able to give some tips on going this route.
Fax
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:57:05 pm »

First woo the editor of your client publication.

Seriously though... going the media photo pass route is a double-edged sword. Unless you have a chum in the circuit media office or you know the series media rep (or other back door route), you will need to find a pass through an accredited publication. That means you'll have to please a photo editor rather than just yourself. Not so much in quality (although that is important) but in content.  It makes for a very different race experience than just turning up when you like and shooting whatever you fancy (Mr Rick will probably back me up on this).

I crossed over from the 'beer' side of the fence to track-side about 20 years ago. I don't think I could go back now. I have to go to the races with a job to do, both for financial reasons (I'm self employed) and I think I might be continuously fretting about not being where I ought to be, or doing what I should be doing!

... you may be able to apply for one through their media credential office.  Rick might be able to give some tips on going this route.
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: