Club Arnage
May 17, 2024, 04:22:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Le Mans for Pennsylvania guy in 2011  (Read 3607 times)
SuperMacGuy

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:29:05 am »

I've been a long time fan of CART/ Champ Car. I got into ALMS in the second year of the series. I was at the Washington DC race, I've been to Petit Le Mans 3x, at Mid Ohio once. I've recorded whole seasons of Champ Car and ALMS. I remember watching IMSA and Group C when I was about 10, but didn't follow it enough growing up to appreciate it as much as I do now.

I also do a lot of Autocrossing in my 2001 Trans Am and have been to a couple track days, and have driven some Formula Atlantic cars (not wheel to wheel though). It would be a dream come true to be able to drive any LMS car, even for some demo laps, or as a test. I know I'm past my prime years for getting into racing, but when I daydream it's about driving for Peugeot, Audi, Panoz, etc.

While watching Le Mans last year, about 16 hours of it I think, my wife floated the idea of going. So I said, wow! OK, well let's start planning right now! So now, it's only a month out and we're almost ready and getting quite excited! We'll be there on Thursday and I hope to get into town for the "big parade" that I read is a madhouse. We have some seats for Tribune Michelin, and also plan on walking around and trying to get some other vantage points during the race, including on the ferris wheel sometime in the night. I hope the view from there is good.

Thanks to everyone here for adding their experiences and the folks that put the guide together, it's very helpful to be able to plan and know what to expect our first time.

Chris
Pennsylvania, USA

2006 PLMS photos: http://www.paveglio.com/firebird/gallery/2006almsplm/index.html
2009 PLMS photos: http://www.paveglio.com/firebird/gallery/2009almsplm/index.html

Le Mans newbie - First visit in 2011!
Long time Champ Car fan, ALMS fan, and FTG! (if you know what I mean).
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:59:05 am »

Welcome to CA SMG.
Good to see another visitor from the other side of the Pond.
Good to know that the info on this site is very useful to first time visitors.
If you see a CA flag on the campsites introduce yourself, we are a very friendly group.
Enjoy your trip, Le Mans is something special
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:17:58 am »

Yea, like Barry says, welcome.

We are mad, but friendly, look out for CA flags, t-shirts and also the DFH group.

Keep an eye out for the updated guide for the 2011 Le Mans, due a few weeks before the race and well worth downloading, printing and reading on the plane coming over. The guys who put it all together do a real fantastic job, better (in my opinion) than most of the official mags,

And do enjoy Le Mans, and the total madness, that start a lot earlier than 24hrs race.

Cheers

If you're going through hell, keep going.
gt6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:52 am »

welcome to CA Chris

The big wheel is a real must, in recent years it has always been in the same place just before the start line close to the ford chicane, I have always found the best time is just before it gets to dark about 11.00 or 12.00 in the evening, the lights are on but you can still see enough of the cars to recognise them, view is great and take a camera.

Enjoy Le Mans
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: