Club Arnage
May 14, 2024, 08:19:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radar Detectors in France  (Read 17200 times)
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2004, 01:44:30 am »

Anyone local or anyone in the know:

I think this has been discussed before, but can anyone give me clarification on the viability and legality of using radar detectors in France.

I use a V1 system here in the States that picks up most bands; K, micro, and also laser (though if you're picking up laser you're usually screwed 'cos it's already pointing at you).

My old man lives near Le Mans and is seeing a significant increase in Police radar traps near his gaff.  I'm thinking of taking him over a detector like mine when I'm in Europe next month, but am not sure if the bands are the same, and how illegal they are.  I've seen all sorts of stories on line that talk about getting banned etc. etc. if you get caught with one, but it's hard to get clear facts.  Gilles and others, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 09:29:13 am »

Unfortunately it's not a good idea Dave.

They are illegal in France. Not only do you get hit by a large fine, they will simply rip the system out of your car and don't care how much damage they do in doing so (i.e. if you've wired it in behind the dash, expect a damaged dashboard.

To add insult to injury, it is quite common for the Gendarmes to then place the unit under your wheel and make you drive over it!

That said, this is what happens to British cars with them. Perhaps Gilles may know if they are perhaps more lenient to French plated cars??
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 09:31:28 am »

Unfortunately it's not a good idea Dave.

They are illegal in France. Not only do you get hit by a large fine, they will simply rip the system out of your car and don't care how much damage they do in doing so (i.e. if you've wired it in behind the dash, expect a damaged dashboard.

To add insult to injury, it is quite common for the Gendarmes to then place the unit under your wheel and make you drive over it!

That said, this is what happens to British cars with them. Perhaps Gilles may know if they are perhaps more lenient to French plated cars??

French plated cars are not driving so fast as yours  Tongue
BTW these detectors are strictly illegal and just a few people use it

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 09:35:07 am »

How lenient do the Gendarmes tend to be Gilles??

Here in the UK, if you are doing 80mph on the motorway where the limit is 70mph it is very unlikely they will stop you unless you are also driving erratically. However, do 40mph in a 30mph limit and you'll probably get stopped. I think they normally let you get away with about 10-15%.

Is that similar in France, i.e. 130kmh on the Autoroute you would be able to get away with doing 145kmh??
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 09:40:25 am »

they're not so tolerant...

... it used to be a 10 km/h tolerance, but with automatic radars, it maybe only 5 km/h upper !  Undecided

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 10:07:56 am »

Thanks Gilles!! BTW, I've still not had anything from you in the post??
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 10:47:05 am »

Mayube because I didn't find time to send it ...  Undecided

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 11:16:11 am »

Mayube because I didn't find time to send it ...  Undecided

Smiley Better that way than it be lost in the post!!! Smiley
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 03:26:12 pm »

Thanks guys - the system would have to be visible (though they make a rearview mirror now with the icons built into it which is pretty cool).  However, to receive signal (especially laser), the unit has to be windshied/dash or sunvisor mounted which would make it in clear view.  My old man speculates that he could pull it down when approaching traffic islands filled with coppers, but I don't think this is viable.

He's got a lovely 540 BM Break that certainly is no slouch, but I think he'll have to lighten his right foot a bit!

Again, thanks for the input.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 01:27:00 am »

I got rid of a Snooper Neo a while back, that had an optional behind-grille mount for the sensor, which woiuld be less obtrusive. However I too have heard the horror stories about using these in France so wouldn't recommend...
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 02:36:52 pm »

I got rid of a Snooper Neo a while back, that had an optional behind-grille mount for the sensor, which woiuld be less obtrusive. However I too have heard the horror stories about using these in France so wouldn't recommend...

The Valentine V1 detector that Dave refers to, has both forward and rearward facing radar/laser protection, so has to be mounted on the front windscreen - not a good idea in France, it would seem.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 04:27:23 pm »

Based on this feedback and what I'm hearing from some other sources, I've advised my old man to slow down.  Sounds like the French plod really don't take a liking to radar detectors.

My V1 has saved my ass countless times (except one instant-on occurance in Michigan where I didn't stand a chance.  On that occasion, I was then hunted down like a dog by the cop who didn't take a liking to my quick highway exit).

V1s appear to be the undisputed detector of choice here in the States.  Are detectors used much in the UK?
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 04:32:27 pm »

Of course, radar detectors are pretty useless in the UK (but legal) as plod almost exclusively use laser technology, and, like you say, once you realise you've been zapped it's already too late. Gatso cameras (which take the photo of the back of your car when you've gone past) project very little radar as you approach them, if you are lucky (and close enough) you get the "bounced" signal from the car in front.

Laser jammers are illegal here, and plod can usually tell when they have been jammed and don't take to kindly to it.

I have SatNav which has a GPS fixed camera locator option - you get warnings at 500 then 300 yards, and persistent beeps if you remain over the limit for the camera. I take my chance on being caught any other way - there are so few TrafPol around these days it's only a slim chance that you'll get caught anyway IMHO.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 04:42:12 pm »

The new camera system I especially dislike, and which my detector has not a chance with, is the SPECs system.

These read your number plate at a known position on the motorway.  Then, further down the road, another camera logs your numberplate again.

The cameras are at a predetermined distance apart so, distance over elapsed time equals average speed.

These are tied in with the DVLA licensing system, a week or two later you then get a ticket on your doormat.

Whereas people will now brake and slow down for Gatsos, then speed away, with these b*stards you have to maintain a legal average speed over the measured distance.

Steve East Anglian cobras

pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 06:03:04 pm »

I take my chance on being caught any other way - there are so few TrafPol around these days it's only a slim chance that you'll get caught anyway IMHO.

Take my advice then Smokie, don't overdo it on the speeding front on the M4 in Wales, particularly if travelling beyond J30. All of the remaining TrafPol you mention are on this stretch on the bridges over, hiding in their unmarked vans poking their lasers our way. B**TARDS.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: