Club Arnage
May 14, 2024, 11:39:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 or XBOX  (Read 17142 times)
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2005, 02:22:20 pm »

I know it's not Le Mans based really but it is in away so bear with me.

I have been given the nod to buy a new console and want to know the concensus of opions regarding which is best PS2 or Mr gate's wonderbox.

I will mainly be playing driving games on it with the odd shoot em up if I can get away with buying a gun to go with it so guys n gals what do you reakon?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 02:22:48 pm by Chris (Liverpool Boys) » Logged

Bring on the low flyers
rcutler
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 03:56:13 pm »

I would get a PS2 as the GT4 game that was released less than a month ago has several of the greatest cars/Lemans cars and features the old as well as new circuits. 750 cars and 50 tracks!!! The ring is also included. There are a whole host of older games avaliable at only £20.

Buy a PS2 if i were you!!!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 05:51:03 pm »

I would go with SBC every time.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 06:01:03 pm »

Motor racing games give me motion sickess....... so i cant recommend either of em.   Cry
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 07:05:50 pm »

Funny as I was gonna start a Gran Turismo 4 thread last week....

GT4 as Rick says is brilliant, it's got Le Mans circuits pre Mulsanne chicanes & post Mulsanne chicanes, Motegi, Fuji, Monaco & the 'ring (not the film!!) amongst others.
It's got a fair few prototypes from recentish years & plenty of other GT type motors.

But then if you get an Xbox you can chip it & put a big hard drive in it, so I've heard Wink Then you need never actually buy any games (if you've no conscience...)
It's also got a game called Project Gotham Racing which also has plenty of nice fast motors & also has the Nurburgring (although it seems a little different from the GT4 version, I've never been so I don't know which is closer to being "right")  There's a new game due out in the next month or so called Forza Motorsport (or something) which is meant to be similar in style to GT4

That said most people own PS2's so it's easier to swap games & stuff with mates, but both have plenty of choice for games.

I'd go for both Smiley
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 08:16:10 pm »

Pure and simply.

PS2

Gran Turismo 4 - Absolutely immense. Got it last week and haven't put it down. Racing on the Nurburgring with some of the worlds finest motors is true brilliance.

Other great driving games include the TOCA Race driver series which are  both quality.

Another reason. Pro Evo Soccer 4 - get your mates round and have an absolute cracking night in with a few beers.

The new Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry are both also supposed to be brilliant.

I live in a (post grad) student house and we have all the consoles, and by far and away the one that gets the most use is the PS2. The only reason i would buy an x-box is for the Halo games. They were good.

But the straight answer is a PS2, you could even get one of the sexy slim versions.

Alternatively wait till next xmas and the PS3 might be out, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

J
rcutler
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 08:46:44 pm »

The slim PS2 are harder to Chip!!! (also beware they have an external power supply which I heard can overheat!!!! If you can get the old type then you get a chip from the USA (Illegal in the UK) for about £35

I have chipped three PS2's now so I can BACKUP games and play any region of DVD. They are very hard to fit, I am a qualified electronics technician and I rate it 9/10 for difficulty!

We will have the PS2 with 30 odd games at Le Mans this year so if you are still undecided or get bored when waiting for the ferry ON SUNDAY (we are on the same boat as you Chris!) you can play on it in the van!!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 12:36:40 am »

We will have the PS2 with 30 odd games at Le Mans this year so if you are still undecided or get bored when waiting for the ferry ON SUNDAY (we are on the same boat as you Chris!) you can play on it in the van!!

Duh...you kids, you sure know how to live eh?   Wink
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 09:06:07 am »

I know what you mean Smokie

When I was a kid had a some string with a pebble tied on the end, I was told it was a yoyo. PS2 pah never had it so good................. Wink

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 09:27:58 am »

You had a pebble !!  Shocked

Steve East Anglian cobras

Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 05:30:19 pm »

and string  Shocked

I'm making up for all the years without agames console now I can

And thanksrick may take you up on the offer of a demo not long now

Bring on the low flyers
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 07:42:24 pm »

When I lost the string I was told the pebble was a marble

But then I lost it on a beach, Cry its out there some were, if someone finds it please look after it...........Thank You.

Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 08:02:35 pm »

If you can get the old type then you get a chip from the USA (Illegal in the UK) for about £35

I've found that www.mod-chip.com are excellent for chips and with the magic 3.1 for earlier versions, you buy 2 and get one free. They come UPS within a couple of days. Click on the Union flag for prices in £s. Ricks right about how hard they are to chip. You need Steve Austins bionic eye for starters. I can tell you some horror stories especially with the Version 9 and 10's. I'm slightly more in the Xbox camp for Xbox live, but Grand Turismo has always been the Dogs Bollocks apart from I'm unable yet to back up the new one. Thats why I have both.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 08:05:26 pm by Stu » Logged
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 09:20:23 am »

Still unsure I must admit fancy an xbox for halo and splinter cell but then again gt4 sounds cool

Huh Huh

Bring on the low flyers
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 09:43:30 am »

Buy both then!!!  Grin

At the end of the day, the consoles are the initial lay out (£100 each???) but it is the games that add up!! (£40 each for the top new games)

So, 1 console, 20 games over time is about £900.

2 consoles and 20 games is £1000. When you put it in those terms there's only a small difference.

As you won't be buying the same game for each one, you can sort of justify it!!  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: