Club Arnage
May 14, 2024, 03:54:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sat Nav Recommendations  (Read 20627 times)
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:57:48 am »

Can anyone recommend a sat nav system.  Not looking for anything too fancy pants - just A to B preferably without getting lost in between!

Mostly UK driving but would also like to be able to use in Europe from time to time - not sure if that makes a difference for uploading maps etc.

Do they all have to talk at you or can you have them on silent?

Advice much appreciated.

F

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

Mrs B has a Navman S90i http://www.navman.com/Navman/Templates/productinformation____69516.aspx
She uses it when travelling to client sites and takes it with her when in the USA.  She wouldn't go back to maps again.

It has European maps as standard, a large touch screen, is easy to use and is upgradable (we added USA maps).

You can turn the (various) voices off but this isn't advisable as you shouldn't really be looking at the screen whilst driving.  Just let the sultry female (or male) voice guide you on your way.

Steve East Anglian cobras

DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 12:39:08 pm »

Hi Fran

I asked the same question 18 months ago, and at that time, TomTom came out tops, and I went for the Go 710 (now the Go 730).  The main facilities are identical (touch screen operation, maps of Western Europe, user-selected colours etc), but TomTom had a few extra facilities (which, I might add, I have never used!!), and the docking was simpler.  

http://www.tomtom.com/products/experience.php?ID=468&Category=0&Lid=1

For the basic operation, I don't think there's much to choose between them now - except price!!  I bought mine from *bay, saving about £70 on high street prices at the time.  The Go 730 is brand new, so you may be able to get it's predecessor (720) cheaper, and it would be more than adequate for your needs.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 12:42:13 pm »

This is my SatNav Fran, - it worked ok and wasn't too expensive.
H

* DSC_0317r.jpg (106.5 KB, 1000x428 - viewed 358 times.)

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 01:09:13 pm »

This is my SatNav Fran, - it worked ok and wasn't too expensive.
H

Did you just stick it upside down for the return journey?

F
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 01:15:33 pm »

The Commer has an original fitment electric and gas-powered gyro-inertial navigation system, it was made by Lucas in the Sixties.

The moving map display is fitted on the main instrument panel and the "works" is hidden in the rear of the van with the feed from the calor gas bottle. It is an electro-mechanical system with a stylus indicating the vehicle position over a motor-driven paper map roll. Position is derived from a doppler navigation system which calculates speed with heading data to drive motors moving the stylus from side to side for lateral position, and the paper roll itself for the track. You simply enter the coordinates for the starting point and set off. Like the useless mechanical fuel injection systems in the contemporary Triumph PIs, Lucas were plagued with it's terrible reliability. Also, the pilot light kept going out, and you have to get underneath with a long match to relight if the Pezo won't work. Poor reputation and high initial expense meant it never really caught on.

These days, I have to say once it's valves have warmed up, it's pretty accurate.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 01:21:35 pm »

The Commer has an original fitment electric and gas-powered gyro-inertial navigation system, it was made by Lucas in the Sixties.

I think I know the one, it had a Head Up (The Arse) Display. Mainly due to the shenanigins and contortions involved with "re-booting" the pilot light.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 01:45:22 pm »

The moving map display is fitted on the main instrument panel and the "works" is hidden in the rear of the van with the feed from the calor gas bottle. It is an electro-mechanical system with a stylus indicating the vehicle position over a motor-driven paper map roll. Position is derived from a doppler navigation system which calculates speed with heading data to drive motors moving the stylus from side to side for lateral position, and the paper roll itself for the track. You simply enter the coordinates for the starting point and set off. Like the useless mechanical fuel injection systems in the contemporary Triumph PIs, Lucas were plagued with it's terrible reliability. Also, the pilot light kept going out, and you have to get underneath with a long match to relight if the Pezo won't work. Poor reputation and high initial expense meant it never really caught on.

These days, I have to say once it's valves have warmed up, it's pretty accurate.

That sounds like the bee's knees.

How are the coordinates entered?

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 02:26:33 pm »

Got one of these for Le mans, well organised - brought on my way down. (Argos was the cheapest but these seem cheap)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Widescreen-Satellite-Navigation-European/dp/B000SDWGF6/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1

The good bit is does, GB to full post code + Western Europe, the only problem was finding the circuit on the map system. In the end put in Le Mans airport and took me straight to it. Got me to the police station in Le Mans as well.

Not sure what others thing about it.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 03:25:22 pm »

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0390291/c_1/1%7Ccat_9554618%7CSat+nav+and+alert+systems%7C9554891/Trail/searchtext%3ESAT+NAV.htm

Bought one of these purely for Le Mans (well work did!) and I was very impressed. Loads of POIs which I found the circuit under. Reroutes very quickly if you deviate from the route and if you have a bluetooth phone it will connect and you can access your address book through the sat nav and make and receive calls with the phone in your pocket.

She did get a little whorey near Le Havre and tried to take us up a dead end but a quick slap and she sorted herself out.

(Edit didn't notice Steve Brown's post which is the same model as mine. Must have been because it wasn't on fire  Grin )

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:01:34 pm »

She did get a little whorey near Le Havre and tried to take us up a dead end but a quick slap and she sorted herself out.

I dont need sat nav for that, I am quite capable of getting myself into dark alleys without electronic assistance.   Wink

F
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 09:24:23 pm »

Have used a TomTom in the past & always found it reliable.

Halfords have a good deal at the moment: -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=HalfordsConsumerDirect&mpe_id=11551&cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-C-0806-10offeverything-_-PRODHomeSpotMiddle-_-C-0806-TomTom1&catalogId=10151&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=81504&langId=-1&partNumber=816173&storeId=10001&ddkey=ClickInfo

European version will be more expensive

Landman

Crouch..........bind..........set
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:17:02 pm »

The Tom Tom one Europe has always worked well for us, when checking them out make sure the post code takes you to the actual road and number, when I checked them out some of the cheaper ones only took you to the Post code area - which could involve a number of streets - not ideal if your delivering Tesco Dot Com groceries. It also took us from christchurch to Chemin Aux Beouff - or the road that Houx Annex is on.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:48:10 pm »

The Tom Tom one Europe has always worked well for us, when checking them out make sure the post code takes you to the actual road and number, when I checked them out some of the cheaper ones only took you to the Post code area - which could involve a number of streets - not ideal if your delivering Tesco Dot Com groceries. It also took us from christchurch to Chemin Aux Beouff - or the road that Houx Annex is on.

The post code section -  the details are (when I did marketing in my dark and very distance past).

Post codes belong to the post office and if you want to use the full details you use to have to pay a fee/royalty to the post office. If you use the the first digits, in my case CH64 - then the was no cost.the rest of the post code you the street and the side and number area of it.

Simple, but very lucrative. This is why when you get an insurance quote they asked you your post code, thye could work out what type of area you lived.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 12:16:39 am »

i have a garmin zumo for the bike and its briliant. i can also use it in the car, also brill.

at work we have garmin nuvi and they are brilliant, but tom toms seem to be quicker to search on .

Take life by the horns and live it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: