Club Arnage
May 09, 2024, 10:25:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where the hell has that 25 years gone  (Read 2722 times)
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2005, 04:06:38 pm »

I have just realised that it is 25 years ago today that the great John Lennon was murdered by that bastard Mark Chapman. It's just like the old adage, I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the awful news and that it only seems like yesterday.

I am 25 years older, but no more sensible, and still act like an exitable teenager when Le Mans time comes around and let me tell you, that 25 years has flown by so get out and enjoy it while you can. Roll on the 16th.

Heres to you John. still sadly missed.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 04:13:22 pm »

Lennon is on the playlist for next year.  He's one of my son's (age 23) heroes, and they share the same birthday, but not the ability to make money, so I'd better get back to work

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Fax
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 04:20:46 pm »

Twenty five years already?  Good grief...
The real tragedy is that he finally seemed content and had re-discovered the joys of being a musician. What might have been?  I've always been convinced that he and McCartney would've written and recorded together again.
Fax
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:11:00 pm »

I heard this as well on brekky telly and I too was astounded that it was 25 years ago. It was a few days before I quit school for good, aged 17, to make my way in life.

It's terrible where the time goes isn't it? One minute you're an optimistic teenager on a beach in the Canaries shagging some bird you met in a disco an hour earllier. The next time you stop to look in the mirror, you're a balding middle aged bloke with a pot belly wondering where the f**k*ng days went. I think John would be nearly seventy if he were still alive.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 06:24:30 pm »

I think John would be nearly seventy if he were still alive.

65!!
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 10:30:59 pm »

I know this makes me seem a crappy old b**stard but I always thought that Chapman only finished the job that Crazy Japanese bitch started by making sure the Beatles could never shape "the" music again.

When I was growing up "with the Beatles" everyone was agog with each new Beatles Album that came out. Every new one extended the boundaries of "Pop" music, always changing the sound, always changing the speeds of the songs. Whether you were a fan or not a fan you couldn't help but watch as other musicians took up the trends and made them their own too.

The Stones and other R&B bands, everyone took keys from the Beatles directions it was as if they were catalysts breaking down barricades, amazing times...

Then she wormed her way in and the world ended...

Bloodyhell, I just reread this & it makes me sound like John Peel or summink!

Anyway what an occasion to spare a few minutes thinking on! The kids miss you John.

You just had to be there, I doubt if anyone who wasn't will feel quite the same about it.

Sad

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 12:23:35 am »

I was young enough to remember my older sis being involved in Beatlemania. I wonder if she still has the lock of hair, and the chunk of windscreen wiper she got from their car after seeing them on Ready Steady Go...? She had the full set of signatures a few times over too.
Fax
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 01:24:41 am »

The past twenty five years have left us with so many "what ifs" I've always had the impression that John and Paul remaind a lot closer after the Beatles breakup than was often thought.  In the Rock & Roll hall of Fame in Cleveland there is a fascinating letter to the editor of Rolling Stone magazine handwritten by John Lennon contradicting an article that implied John & Paul weren't on speaking terms.
In it John relates how the very week the article came out, he and Paul had dinner in New York!  I think as they were moving into middle age, many of the things that divided them would have begun to fade and there was more to come.
We'll never know....
Fax
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 01:38:12 am »

Hi John,
I read about this somewhere, can't remember where. I'm a shade too young to recall the Beattles first hand (40 in Feb !!!), but the legacy has certainly stood the test of time.

A while back, some wag over here remarked that the Beattles seemed to be checking out in the wrong order; I concur.

John is fondly remembered by many, me included.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: