Club Arnage
May 23, 2024, 12:27:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this true?  (Read 2483 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:03:13 pm »

Could this be true or is it an urban myth? Sounds very unlikey to me but its a good story in any event.

* speedingticket1hj6.jpg (205.17 KB, 480x382 - viewed 278 times.)

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
fugitive4000
CA Veteran

Every Year Since '97

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:17:26 pm »

Doubt it is true....sidewinder is a heat seeking air to air system (sidearm was the anti radar equivilant - replaced by "harm" years ago), Tornado isn't operated by the Dutch, and the weapon system locking on to the radar source without pilot input - well I think whoever wrote it watched the Clint Eastwood movie Firefox too many times - okay that system was thought controlled....I'll get me anorak!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 04:20:16 pm »

It's total and utter crap. The definitive urban myth.

Snopes is you friend... http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp

And while we're myth busting, that story about the aircraft carrier and the lighthouse is complete bollox too- http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:25:13 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:29:13 am »

And while we're myth busting, that story about the aircraft carrier and the lighthouse is complete bollox too- http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

Indeed it is, but one that isn't is the arrival of one of the RN's Type 42s (can't remember which one, but lovely ships with the Olympus, aka Vulcan and Concorde, engines!) into Hong Kong harbour in the early 80s when, as it sailed past one of the huge US Navy Nimitz class carriers that was berthed there, was signalled by the carrier, "How's the second biggest Navy in the world?" which was met by the rapid response from the RN captain of "Fine thanks, how's the second best" Grin

Or there was the experienced JP pilot, who was taking the first flight of the day up out of RAF Cranwell in the 70s, which was the meteorological/visibility check flight, before letting students loose in the air with expensive toys.  The venerable JP was not known as the "variable noise, constant thrust machine" for nothing, and careful control of weight and fuel loads was critical to ensure that it actually got into the air.  That particular morning the met flight staggered off the runway, but didn't keep going up at the intended rate.  With a line of tall poplar trees (later chopped down for obvious reasons) lining the minor road to the east of the runway, the final radio call from said pilot to ATC as the aircraft headed for them was not the expected "Mayday" or "Pan Pan Pan", but "TIMBEEERRRR!!!".  The JP then went through the trees and crashed into the field on the other side - pilot was fine with a few cuts and bruises and one trashed JP in bits on the ground - raised plenty of chat in the crewrooms at the time of what one might say if faced with a similar situation!

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: