Club Arnage
May 19, 2024, 10:31:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: late 80's camping  (Read 8720 times)
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:36:43 pm »

does anyone remember the new zealand family that had the little house with swimming pool that overlooked the porsche curves in the late 80's early 90's?
I was wondering as it looks like the house was bought by the ACO, as the concrete wall has replaced the garden fence with only a 10ft gap where you can see the shell of the house..

it was a little bit further up towards arnage past the locusts on blue sud, and they had one of the fields behind sud and next to nord for camping, they provided food and drink for the 4 days in the camping price, and one of the years we were there the farmer next door put up a f***ing great access tower to block our view (89/90/91 not sure) so on the Sat night, over the hedge and barbed wire we went.. heaved the tower over and set alight to it.. oh happy days

I'm sure he said that he had driven in the 24hr a few years before.. did anyone stay there??

Andy Grin
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 03:46:16 pm by fagey » Logged

Neal
CA Veteran

That's put the Halibut amongst the Iguanas

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 04:35:57 pm »

Fagey

I stayed there in 89, they had a field at the crossroads next to the Porche Curves. Never stayed with them again, but I did here in 96 that they were arrested an there campsite was closed down, because they did'nt have a license, not sure if that was true or not. In 89 they built a small grandstand in the back garden, which gave a great view. As an afterthought, if I recall correctley this was a year of the Mazda screech.

When we were there he said he had a car in bits in the house, he showed us various bits that were in the front room, that certainly looked genuine, I remember the nose cone had the emblem for lucky strike fags on it. His idea was to put the whole thing together in a few years for his son to drive. All seemed like a load of bxllox to me, but they were quite a pleasant family.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:41:45 pm by Neal aka Whitey » Logged
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 04:40:44 pm »

It must have been 90 when I was there then.. veeery hazy about the year.. but I'm sure they had the mini stand up again.. but i do remember that the pool was bloody freezing!! we had pit passes that year.. ' team lee davey' ..and we hired them out overnight an hour at a time.. made a fortune Wink

Neal
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:43:04 pm »

fagey

have edited my post while you submitted yours
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:46:51 pm »

Neil,

I remember him going on about that... building a car for his son..

pity about the house though.. on a sight like that it must have been worth a packet.. imagine it now!! Shocked Shocked

Neal
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:50:46 pm »

Fagey
While we are on the subject of the 80's in 86 I went on tour with my rugby club to Jersey, and I notice that you are member of a club in jersey, as we are the same era is it possible we have played against each other? What a long weekend that was from what I can remember Tongue
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 04:53:59 pm »

now that could be possible.. which team were you playing for, and was it JRFC you played against.. or was it a 'junior side'?? and we pride ourselves in making weekends to remember (well sort of!) Cool

Neal
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 05:18:11 pm »

Played for Roundhegians RUFC, can't remember the names of the teams we played, it was that memorable Wink Do remeber we were the only people in the hotel,(all 30 of us) apart from a Honeymoon couple Shocked. I know we lost both games, having more than half the side puking before each game does have its disadvantages. We drank the hotel dry, but being great hosts they went to the cash & carry for more supplies.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 05:23:21 pm »

Played for Roundhegians RUFC, can't remember the names of the teams we played, it was that memorable Wink Do remeber we were the only people in the hotel,(all 30 of us) apart from a Honeymoon couple Shocked. I know we lost both games, having more than half the side puking before each game does have its disadvantages. We drank the hotel dry, but being great hosts they went to the cash & carry for more supplies.
Now Neil, another odd co-incidence.  Used to visit Roundhay rugby club a lot when I was a nipper!  Memories of a load of teachers from Allerton Grange and the like buying me pints of lemonade. Smiley

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Neal
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 05:27:56 pm »

Blimey Termie

The sworn enemy, of course they no longer exsist, they merged with Headingley Rugby Club to form Leeds rugby club which then became the now infamous Leeds Tykes. Are you originally from the area Termie?
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 05:40:41 pm »

Er.. should never admit this to a Yorkshireman but I was born the other side of the Pennines!  However, lived in Alwoodley for a few years but this was quite probably before you were even thought of. Alwoodley County P had a boys' Rugby League team so my Dad used to come with me to the matches and I went to Roundhay with him.  On the weekends when we weren't at Rufforth, Croft or Oulton Park, that is! Or Harewood, for the hill-climbs.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 05:44:26 pm by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Neal
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 05:55:50 pm »

Termie

You might be suprised started primary school in 1960, and played RL against Alwoodley, in fact they still play I have a pal who teaches there, and runs the RL, in fact they won the Leeds schools cup last year.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 06:00:24 pm »

Well then the chances are I watched you play!  Small world.  I think we are the same vintage then as I also started primary school in 1960 although we didn't move to Leeds until '62.
Nostalgia trip, huh?
At the risk of turning this into a Neal and Deb remember Leeds thread, where did you go to school as my Dad taught at Matthew Murray, and sister went to Allerton Grange.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 06:06:53 pm by termietermite » Logged

Neal
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 06:06:20 pm »

AH those were the days I remember when etc etc etc. Vintage 56 myself. even though Roundhay were always considered the enemy, it was sad to see them go. The ground is still there though, they play Tykes & Rhinos under 21 games there. Roundhegians are still going strong though on Chelwood drive just off Street Lane. Did you stay in Leeds long enough to go to High School if so which one?
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 06:08:04 pm »

Definately not the same one as you - Allerton High - as it was girls only! See amendment to post, above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: