Club Arnage
May 09, 2024, 06:44:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Draft: Call for donations in the CA guide - your comments please  (Read 11624 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 10:16:49 am »

Stu's point is correct - it's the charity that is donated to that claims the tax back, provided that whoever is making the donation as an individual pays UK tax. 

As for CA registering as a charity, that is a whole new league of complexity beyond what has been discussed so far on the fundraising thread, and one that we really don't want to venture into.  Changes to the charity laws last year have made the governance requirements placed on charities regarding constitution, governership, trustees responsibilities, accounting, records etc far more stringent.  And with what we currently do, we wouldn't meet the requirements for being a charity in terms of the reason why we exist....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 10:30:50 am »

Then presumably Mark, if the CA fund link was used and it paid the money which was raised by the guide to the charities concerned, then it could not take advantage of the tax break when passing the money on?  All in all, charities direct only for the guide, looks more and more the way to go, doesn't it?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 10:51:35 am »

I know very little about this area other than as MGMark says we wouldn't qualify as a charity.

Can we not have a "Just Giving" page?  Could we have one "Just Giving" page for the three charities?  If not can we set up one "Just Giving" page for each and then let punters choose which one they select?

We need to avoid making this too complicated for the punters...
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 10:53:14 am »

Amen to that!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 11:01:29 am »

Amen to that!

Amen from my side too, I'm always a fan of keeping it simple. So setting up additional just-giving-pages doesn't make anything easier from my point of view.

We should either

1) leave our call for donations as it is (donations to our account, equal distribution to all 3 charities by CA)
2) or leave it to the readers to which charity they donate

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 11:09:55 am »

I've always found "Just Giving" quite simple to use. 

If our call for donations had a link to the Just Giving page don't people then just have to put their details into Just Giving - a bit like they'd have to go to Paypal to make a payment?   

Using Just Giving would allow the charities to claim the tax on donations which can be quite valuable. 
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 11:20:53 am »

I've always found "Just Giving" quite simple to use. 

If our call for donations had a link to the Just Giving page don't people then just have to put their details into Just Giving - a bit like they'd have to go to Paypal to make a payment?   

Using Just Giving would allow the charities to claim the tax on donations which can be quite valuable. 

No problem with that. As I already said, I've no clue how the tax-donation-stuff works in the UK so I will stop discussing this from my side.

I just need someone who knows about it and who tells me clearly what to write in the guide... please...

Cheers

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 11:23:44 am »

Just Giving would be a good way for those who wish to donate in that way, as it automatically sorts the tax issue, and the latter is useful to the charity conerned, as it is effectivelyt "free" money.  To achieve the gift aid element for any other way (i.e. people who want to make donations via cash, cheque paypal etc), then the total amount would need to be donated to the charity by an individual not by an organisation (but that is easy to manage, as it could be made by an individual who happens to be part of that organisation).    

The key factors will be to provide options for donating that are easy to use and keeping the process simple.  

The disbursement of donations should be as it is proposed, with a total amount raised split equally between the chosen charities, rather than left to individual choice.  The latter would make it far more difficult to administer, and it would be potentially divisive were one charity to receive more than the others.

However, to meet Werner's needs now, we are running out of time - I suggest that it is left as it is now and the gift aid, payment options etc are addressed as part of the fundraising committee's early work to establish simple, acceptable processes for moving money around!

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 11:58:01 am »

I'm with Mark.  As he knows what he's talking about, for myself I'd say let Mark be the arbiter of the final wording, if he's willing.

Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 12:01:15 pm »

I'm with Mark.  As he knows what he's talking about, for myself I'd say let Mark be the arbiter of the final wording, if he's willing.

Agreed - thanks for volunteering Mark  Grin Cool
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

Don't forget that, at least for the moment, CA funds are held by individuals (currently Smokie & I) and as such we could make a donation as idividuals and get the tax break, which gets over the immediate problems.

We then have a reasonable amount of time to sort things out for next year.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2007, 06:23:02 pm »

A completely irrelevant point, but if the Institute of Advanced Motorists can be a charity and reclaim tax, why can't Club Arnage? It pi$$es me off that they became eligible to reclaim tax and immediately sent out forms which, IIRC, allowed them to reclaim for the past 5 years against members subs. But there was no corresponding reduction in membership fee, in fact none at all. Just a great windfall for them.

No answer required, just a thought...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: