Club Arnage
May 08, 2024, 04:57:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do I do?  (Read 14737 times)
LeMans24

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:40:21 am »

First, sorry for the non Le Mans related topic, but you guys are all car geniuses and I most certainly am not. So figured I would ask. Started hearing a whining noise yesterday coming from my engine. It caught me by surprise, but then it went away. Again this morning heading into work, there is was. I will have to bring it into the garage after work, but I would like to have an idea of what it is before I walk in their clueless and they try to sell me 2 grand of things I don't need.

Any thoughts? Please be cheap thoughts!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:52:27 am »

Okay, here's some questioning to try and pin point the issue -
  • Is it an engine or gearbox noise.
  • Is it continuous or varies with revs.
  • High pitched or low pitched.
  • Has any thing changes with the car recently.

Steve East Anglian cobras

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:07:32 am »

My car has a whining when I drive too "briskly", but only when the Mrs is with me... :-)
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:26:49 am »

My car has a whining when I drive too "briskly", but only when the Mrs is with me... :-)

Mine is more of a squeal, even before there is anything coming from the tyres.

Ian

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:32:01 am »

LM24,

Not easy to diagnose over a forum.

Whining could be gears, belts.  So anything from a belt needs lack taken up to the gearbox or supercharger is about to fail.

Anything from £nothing to £lots.

(Many years ago I had a similar noise. The mechanic put some WD40 on a belt to quieten it. A few days later, the cambelt failed a spaghetti junction and one part of the V6 dropped its valves and left me getting home in a recovery truck).

What's the car?

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
LeMans24

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:45:24 am »

HAHAHAHAA brilliant! Absolutely the best response and actually made me laugh out loud and shock some people in my office. Thanks for lightening my day chap!
LeMans24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 10:51:46 am »

LM24,

Not easy to diagnose over a forum.

Whining could be gears, belts.  So anything from a belt needs lack taken up to the gearbox or supercharger is about to fail.

Anything from £nothing to £lots.

(Many years ago I had a similar noise. The mechanic put some WD40 on a belt to quieten it. A few days later, the cambelt failed a spaghetti junction and one part of the V6 dropped its valves and left me getting home in a recovery truck).

What's the car?

Aricus

Undecided Undecided Undecided

I very much hope this won't be the case. I'm kind of thinking belt as well, but am hoping and praying it is only a belt and nothing else bigger and more expensive going on.

It's a 2005 VW Jetta (A5, Type 1K). Nothing sexy, but it gets me to where I need to go.
LeMans24

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 11:05:32 am »

Okay, here's some questioning to try and pin point the issue -
  • Is it an engine or gearbox noise.
  • Is it continuous or varies with revs.
  • High pitched or low pitched.
  • Has any thing changes with the car recently.

It's a high pitched whining and rather continuous, but worse after initially turning on the engine or if I am idling at a stop. Nothing has really changed with the car, except for this terrible shrieking noise.

@Aricus, was your issue with the cambelt high pitched? How much did it cost to replace? I'm looking through online products and found some cambelt kits for less than £50 (like this for VW). Is that about the right price, providing that nothing else is wrong? 

aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 12:22:54 pm »

LM24,

This is a bit like Christmas pin the tail on the donkey, but I would put money on a high pitched shriek being an alternator belt. 

Cambelts and cam chains do fail, but it's very rare. Many manufacturers recommend a change at a certain mileage.  (I would check this) I don't think mine made a high pitched noise, but dont remember.  The failure was a few years ago and resulted in a new engine that was mostly paid for by Vauxhall.

Aricus

clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 01:03:57 pm »

Sorry - Couldn't resist!
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

* large.jpg (179.48 KB, 500x750 - viewed 374 times.)

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
LeMans24

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 01:13:43 pm »

LM24,

This is a bit like Christmas pin the tail on the donkey, but I would put money on a high pitched shriek being an alternator belt. 

Cambelts and cam chains do fail, but it's very rare. Many manufacturers recommend a change at a certain mileage.  (I would check this) I don't think mine made a high pitched noise, but dont remember.  The failure was a few years ago and resulted in a new engine that was mostly paid for by Vauxhall.

Aricus

Hmmmm. Ok, thanks for the advice and input. I guess I will wait and see what the Mechanic has to say. Fingers crossed its cheap and easy to fix.
LeMans24

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 01:14:23 pm »

Sorry - Couldn't resist!
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Lol that's amazing!
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 02:18:19 pm »

try getting a video up that could help

Si H
CA Veteran

It's almost time to go again....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 03:44:51 pm »

Where are you in the country LM24?

Only asking as if you're near Sittingbourne, Kent. My brother might be able to take a look and he'll give you an honest opinion on what needs doing.  VW Audi Group cars are his speciality and whilst he does a lot of 'non-standard' stuff to customers cars he'll look at standard things too. (CarbonMotive.co.uk)

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 04:28:56 pm »

I'd go with the alternator belt as first port of call, especially if its worse on startup or with the lights and heated screen on.  It usually goes after a minute, to start with.  Its an annoying noise too.  Often starts at about 60,000 miles.

Don't put WD40 or oil on belts.  Talcum powder does the trick for a while, but in the long term it needs adjusting, which on modern cars is usually a s0d of a job

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: