Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 10:43:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is the ACO 'Ladies Pavilion' a good idea or a big mistake?
Great idea!
OK
Irrelevant
Slightly insulting
Patronising and outdated

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Ladies Pavilion'  (Read 5540 times)
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2015, 01:51:27 pm »

I have to say that in my opinion the Womans' Pavilion is one of the worst ideas the ACO have ever come up with. It might have been a good idea in about 1975 but the role of women in motorsport and in society at large has changed fundamentally. Creating a 'one for the ladies' area in 2015 is the worst kind of patronising nonsense.
DJet
Server Administrator
Administrator
Club Arnage Demi God

serveradmin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:16 pm »

By all means, celebrate all women in motor racing, but throwing in free skincare, nail varnishing and exfoliation is so patronising and sexist it is beyond ridiculous and works against the whole idea.
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:17:29 am »

Did pass by with (female) friend and daughter but entrance procedure seemed to be of French design (i.e. complete chaos) so both were anxious to go do something (anything!) more useful.

On the one hand can see some point in the argument that male dominated places can do stuff to make female partners more welcome but tacking a manicure desk onto a golf-course (or whatever) is patronising. In any event both friend and daughter attend Le Mans for the booze, food, camaraderie & racing so don't need to be patronised!

IMHO the female % at Le Mans is increasing year on year anyway - no idea what the hell ACO are trying to achieve.
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:15:03 pm »

I can imagine that if the pavilion contained some nice toilets that were not invaded by men it might have been appreciated by the women present!
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 07:40:53 pm »

I asked my other half what she thought about the Ladies Pavilion after she had visited it on my behalf to see what it was all about and her comment was the same as others have already noted: 'very patronising and sexist'. I'd like to know what market research was carried out before the ACO came up with that one... I'd also like to know what some of the driver's partners/wives lined up to give 'talks' thought too.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 09:35:12 am »

I think that there is some merit here, but I'm not sure about the execution.  It looks like the ACO have recognised that the event is male dominated, but there appear to be increasing numbers of women attendees.

I imagine the idea of clean male free toilets is a fair exchange for being a bit patronised, I know I would. (Actually, I'd hold out for clean hot showers) On the other hand, the modern take on feminism is to embrace both independence and equality with what we would previously seen as patronising and exploitative a few years ago.  And the French never really gave up the whole bit about women being objectivise - just look at the pretty girls adorning the winners platform.  My wife however thinks that young woman have sold out!

Look, errr....it looks like I've come over all Guardian reader today, sorry....   Roll Eyes

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 03:11:58 pm »

I have to say that in my opinion the Womans' Pavilion is one of the worst ideas the ACO have ever come up with. It might have been a good idea in about 1975 but the role of women in motorsport and in society at large has changed fundamentally. Creating a 'one for the ladies' area in 2015 is the worst kind of patronising nonsense.

This ^

Exactly.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »

I'm sure most Ladies would have been much happier if the Grand Marnier crepe stand had been in attendance this year.
After 15 years telling Jo how wonderful they were, she was a little disappointed that it wasn't at LM.
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 09:34:06 pm »

Me too!

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 04:31:43 am »

I'm sure most Ladies would have been much happier if the Grand Marnier crepe stand had been in attendance this year.
After 15 years telling Jo how wonderful they were, she was a little disappointed that it wasn't at LM.

Hi Barry,
            Grand Marnier Crepe was a 16 year tradition for me at midnight. Started by a suggestion from Grand Fromage himself. Sadly missed. As to the women's pavilion. The sign only had three French women of which I only recognised Michelle Mouton. There were a lot more women who have participated at Le Mans.....but that did not seem to be the point.
Phil
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 05:32:38 pm »

+1

And 'Ladies Pavilion' sounds like something from Roger Mellie's Profanisaurus.  Lips Sealed Roll Eyes

The ACO would be better off investing that money for better sanitary facilities for all. The ones near us on Blue Nord were a disgrace by Thursday. The showers were still blocked in the same fashion on the Monday they opened as they were last year.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:44:01 pm by Stu » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: