Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 02:33:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: money  (Read 13424 times)
Jon King
CA Veteran

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2005, 08:21:58 pm »

this is my first time i am going to lemans and i would like some help on how much money i should take down with me

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 08:27:19 pm »

I don't take any.

Carrefour & fuel bills go on the credit card. And while at Carrefour I use a debit card in the hole in the wall to get €s. I always think (maybe mistakenly) that I get a better rate that way.

If you're camping and do a "big" shop at Carrefour when you arrive, you can keep your daily costs quite small - unless you start drinking at bars round the circuit, buying souvenirs or going out to eat. There really isn't much other than that to spend on, and if you join the social life then you won't have time to go spending anyway.
tink
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:42:34 pm »

i always think that the cost of getting money out of the ATM balances out against commission charges.

excluding food/beer/fuel which is usually bought on credit cards and settled when we get back to england, i reckon anywhere between 100-200 euros does the trick tho. that gives you enough money to buy beers if you go out to some bars in le mans/arnage/poo bar, as well as the odd burger and chips and some souvenirs.

other than that, there's no real need to spend much money at all!
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:23:10 pm »

If you're planning to sit down at JP's poker night you'll need at least two grand  Wink

Other than that I'll probably take about three hundred quid which will pay for carrefour visits, beers in the circuit, the shampoo bar, pub visit to Arnage and pub visit and meal in town centre on friday night. We tend to all chuck cash in the kitty for food and stuff.

I should point out that I tend to violently over spend and my mates are planning to take a max of £200 each.

As long as you take cash out of the machines with a debit card (or pay in shops with one) and not a credit card, you will get a better rate than buying currency before you go

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 09:34:51 pm »

What debit cards can you use in France? I've only got a Solo...

mdh-photography.co.uk
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 10:18:34 pm »

... As long as you take cash out of the machines with a debit card (or pay in shops with one) and not a credit card, you will get a better rate than buying currency before you go
Rob - you are much better off doing foreign transactions on a credit card, not debit. The exchange rate (if both cards are say Visa) is the same. If you are purchasing goods there is no interest. If you are drawing cash the charge (often 1.5%, minimum £1.50 so worth drawing £100 or more equivalent at a time) is the same. But on a debit card the amount goes from your account immediately, on a credit card you have some weeks to pay.

Then again, if you don't pay your credit card in full each month all bets are off.

But certainly agree travelling with just a (credit) card is the way to go.
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 10:26:05 pm »

I never pay my credit card in full  Sad

If you've got a maestro symbol on the back of your card then you can withdraw cash. I don't believe I've ever been charged for withdrawing cash with a debit card but I may be wrong.

DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:43:57 pm »

Worth looking at the Post Office.  In my local town, they give an extra half cent and no commission compared to the local travel agents and banks.

Me, I've got no problem - transfer money at commercial rate to my French bank then get it for free from the ATM  Grin Grin Grin Grin

I agrre with Dukla - you get a good rate on credit card.  I got 1.43 a few weeks back when renewing the ACO membership.

DB

Team Delboy Racing
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 10:49:16 pm »

I don't like atms because I can't remember the bloody pins...

I'll be a bit stuck once all my ccs go that way!

Cash is best  so I'll probably be checking the rates this weekend, I'm sure ccs still rip you off!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 12:05:45 am »

Had quite a bit of difficulty with Tesco credit card over the weekend in restaurants and Carrefour fuel (store was OK). The French expect the card to be chip n pin but mine isn't. Even when it work,ed transations were v v slow.

Always worth having a second source of funds available...
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 12:15:20 am »

Had quite a bit of difficulty with Tesco credit card over the weekend in restaurants and Carrefour fuel (store was OK). The French expect the card to be chip n pin but mine isn't. Even when it work,ed transations were v v slow.

Always worth having a second source of funds available...

A useful warning. I always have double source of munney when I go to La Belle Patrie. I found some places in Paris that were useless without cash, cards not clearing etc.

Safer rather than sorrier. My Natwest Advantage account lets me have euros with no charge.Might help.

(no it might help you silly, I can't get everybody's cash out can I?)

Sad

b

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 08:20:33 am »

I'd suggest the post office for most people at the moment. The rate is about 1.42 due to the EU wobble caused by France and Holland. I'm off to get my cash today  Grin

Now I'm getting excited (or is that another thread  Wink

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 09:30:35 am »

I picked up mine yesterday from Mr Lloyds at 1.416 - zero commision.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 10:52:35 am »

I'm off to the Post Office this morning to pick up mine, I plan to take 250 quid with me and hope for the best really. I took a little less last year and unfortunately left myself a little short after the Friday night/day in Arnage.

Chaos and me were drinking in the bar at the end of the street near the butchers and at about 5 decided that we would walk back to the campsite to get some dinner. Unfortunately we got as far as the next bar on the corner at the roundabout, and went and sat in the middle of the roundabout where we met some mental Dutch blokes. The story ends here as i can't remember much, just waking up back at the campsite after having crashed my mini moto into my tent.

Paddy, you dutch certainly no how to drink.

J.
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 12:33:49 pm »

Our lot tend to do it in a wide variety of ways, some just take a load of €'s either change them at the Post Office or Thomas Cook (I seem to get it commission free there) just look for the best rates where you are.
Personally I've got a Nationwide current account so I don't get charged for using my card abroad so all my share at the hypermarket will be on the card & if I need any cash pop into town to a cashpoint.

Good point made about chip & pin though smokie, thankfully all my cards are c+p now!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: