Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 10:57:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why buy Autosport  (Read 8474 times)
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2005, 10:02:21 am »

I bought this weeks Autosport expecting a preview of the Silverstone 1000k and what did I get? A small piece about McNish, Orecas' target for 06 and precious little else. No entry list,  no timetable in fact no mention of the race hardly. The 1000k must be the top sportscar event of the year in this country and Autosport choose to ignore it. I vow from this day that I will never buy a copy again they can keep their F1 comic.

Angry of High Wycombe Angry
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 10:38:52 am by BOB U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 10:19:41 am »

I agree Bob, I have promised myself only to get it the week before Le Mans now (even the Le Mans pullout in that is looking the same each year).

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 10:55:57 am »

I haven't bothered with it for years, but do buy the odd Motoring news.  This is exceptional value at the minute, as due to its 50th anniversary, there is a little "50" in a circle at the top.  SO you only get charged 50p rather than 1.99

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 01:25:51 pm »

I'm with you, the changes recentley have not improved the content, be going through some of last years before binning them and re reading some of the forecasts for this year, they are so wide of the mark.  All were saying that Ferrari would still be the team to beat.  Jenson wanted to race for Williams etc, and very little coverage of endurance racing, we need a specific internet mag guys.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:18:55 pm »

we need a specific internet mag guys.

Now then Peter.......what sort of 'specific interest' would that be? Wink

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 02:20:27 pm »

Gibb me ole mucker how the devil r u?  but of course one on endurance racing Grin
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 02:23:02 pm »

Doing nicely dear boy.  At last I'm getting a bit of time here and there, to get back on the forum.  Been a long time.  Hope yopu're well.

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Fax
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 03:03:48 pm »

Subscribed to it from the mid-seventies till the mid-ninties, back when it was true to its name.  It covered single seaters, sportscars, rallying, club racing, all with equal enthusiasm.  Why don't they just change the name to what its really become?  F1 Tabloid Crap.
Personally I would rather read about the latest LMP contender than about Michael Schumacher's latest bowel movement.
Fax
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 03:20:34 pm »

Unfortunately its the Ferrari phenomena, talking some guys I know in the classic magazine circuit and they can guarantee a substantial pick up on sales if they have some articles on Ferraris its usually the same rubbish about running a 400i or 308 etc but occasionally you'll get something like running one of the classic 12 cyls like a 512 bb or 330 gtc something of a gents tourer. 

Seriuosly thinking of getting one soon,  had the chance of buying one that had just come out of a major rebuild at a good price.  Absolutely ideal for travelling down to northern italy through the moutain passes.

The long mountain tunnels, slow up engage low gear rev up and go, just glouriuos listening to the 12 cyls getting some decent breath into them especially with a decent tuned exhaust, bliss.

The guy I deal with for my Ferrari’s refuses to sell me 512 bb he reckons it bankrupt because the amount of mileage I do each year.
neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 05:51:19 pm »

timetable is here:  http://www.silverstone-circuit.co.uk/PDF/events/1000km_provisional_timetable.pdf
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 06:08:54 pm »

Why don't they just change the name to what its really become?  F1 Tabloid Crap.

I'm not so sure it could be described as tabloid. They do some very technical articles and I don't find it easy reading. It must be marvellous if you're a geeky fan of this F1 crap, but IMO it's the racing equivalent of the Gastroenterologists Digest or Gyaenocology Monthly periodicals.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 06:18:48 pm »

I gave up it about 8 years ago, before then I brought it every week, but now its little more than a F1 Fanzine.

I have to say that MotorSport has staged a bit of a comeback in recent months, some good articles have appeared, but it does still rehash the same well trodden stories that get wheeled out time and again, Moss/Jenks win, Gilles, Ronnie Peterson stories etc. All good reading but I would be good to read something about some of the lesser known people/drivers who maybe just missed stardom.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 07:00:51 pm »

It is a little sad the amount of F1 coverage Autosport provides as there's plenty of other magazines with F1 plastered all over them!! Although some of the technical stuff in there is interesting & the analysis of Mark Hughes/Nigel Roebuck is superb, it is more for the geeks though Roll Eyes

There is a fairly good section on the national scene, although the sportscars/rallying side of  motorsport doesn't tend to get much of a look in  Angry
Fax
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 04:12:23 am »

Hi Guys,
Chris, agrred about Hughes, some of his stuff is very good but Roebuck?  I've kinda thrown in the towel on Nigel.  He's clearly bored with the contemporary F1 scene and most of his retrospectives are just re-hashing old material.  Pick up a copy of his 1986 book the GP Greats (which is a Magnum Opus for those wanting to learn about the greats of the sport) and everything he writes today about the greats of the sport is word-for-word from that.
Nordic, as far as material about Gilles, Ronnie, etc.? Thats where the interest is with most of Motor Sports readers, the high wire acrobats working without a net.  Rosemeyer, Behra, Rindt, Peterson, Villeneuve, Rosberg (featured this month)  Who the hell wants to read about Schumacher, Lauda, Prost,etc.  give us the guys who put the capital "R" in Racer.  As far as the guys who bought it but had greatness in them?  Some good stuff in recent months about Swede Savage and Tom Pryce.
Fax
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 02:04:06 pm »

Gibb me ole mucker how the devil r u?  but of course one on endurance racing Grin

Ok it's in french but you can subscribe to Le Mans racing

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: