Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 12:02:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why buy Autosport  (Read 8470 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 04:31:56 pm »

Nordic, as far as material about Gilles, Ronnie, etc.? Thats where the interest is with most of Motor Sports readers, the high wire acrobats working without a net.  Rosemeyer, Behra, Rindt, Peterson, Villeneuve, Rosberg (featured this month)  Fax

Agree that it is important these guys get featured, but there is sometimes a repetive nature to the stories, Unless there are some new insights or tales from those close to the drivers I think most of us have heard them before.

I like to read about some of the lesser known drivers and there stories, take Brett Lunger for example, war hero who saved a guys life who turn out to be related to a wealthy family who then bankrolled his racing as a way of thanks.

without these guys the stars would have had no one to beat, .

I would also like to read articles about races from the past, you could take any race form the last 40 years, and do an indepth write up about it

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 04:43:51 pm »

Can I get personal.

When I come 9th in some obsure little event, do I get my name in print.  Fraid not.  At least I'm treated the same as 1000km racers.  I feel a lot better for that

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Fax
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 04:53:01 pm »

Agreed, sometimes they do get repetetive.  Occasionally they'll do a piece about a driver who for whatever reason never made it to superstar status or has been largely forgotten.  A few years ago Mark Hughes did a nice article about one of my heros, Didier Pironi, who has remained an enigma after all these years.  Regarding Brett Lunger...I think in order to be featured you should actually have had talent.
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 05:00:38 pm »

There are so many also rans.  E.g. the year Jenson Button ran in F3, who beat him and won the championship.  Answer is he ran in 2 years and they're both forgotten.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 05:11:42 pm »

Didier Pironi, great driver who was able to mix it with the best, and not just a F1 driver.

Are you not curious as to why the no hopers are prepared to keep on trying when there is no chance of top 5 position let alone a win. Some of them shone in F2 or F3 but where not suited to F1, Pesca for example, a master in F2 and Sports cars, but never gelled with F1.

Hector Rebaque is another one who has always intrigued me, little talent but a shed load of money, given his resourse's would i have done the same, In some ways I admired his sprit (and as a little lad, he spared the time to show me round his Lotus 79 at silverstone in 1979) and think that I would like to have given it a shot, regardless of my talent level.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
RyanArsenal

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 05:32:32 pm »

Sad >:(I agree it barely touches on the Endurance Racing subject, but focuses mostly on F1! Its name should be F1 Weekly and its way over priced for what it is!!!
Fax
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 05:42:15 pm »

Hector actually managed to win a CART round at Road America back in 1982 or '83.  Granted, about five cars ran out of fuel on the last lap ahead of him but hey, a win is a win.  Yeah, there are some interesting stories behind how some of these guys made it into the sport.
Fax
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 09:42:35 pm »

..... we need a specific internet mag guys.

We already have one!!!!! May I be so bold as to mention those splendid chaps at www.dailysportscar.com?

Simply THE best on-line sportscar magazine and a darn sight cheaper than Autospurt for sure! (And no, I'm not on commission!!)

Grin
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2005, 10:11:47 pm »

thanks mr rick i had forgotten about the excellence of this web site. Shocked
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 09:54:01 am »

In the interests of fairness, there are also some free sites that cover Sportscars, the best of which I think is:

http://www.planetlemans.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Maybe not as indepth as Dailysportscar, a darn sight cheaper!

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
RyanArsenal

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2005, 12:00:06 pm »

www.motorsport.com is another site!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: