Club Arnage
May 18, 2024, 12:15:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALMS - Grand Am 'merger'  (Read 32133 times)
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:28:33 pm »

Rumours abound regarding the 'merger' of ALMS and Grand Am. What have you heard?

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:11 pm »

It's a done deal.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/sportscar-alms-grand-am-finalizing-merger/

http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewArticle.cfm?articleUID=8399BB0A-9E98-DCF5-8331F9E648DA6CDA&custUID=858ADB2B-1143-FDC9-357B889EBDC9CBA6&_sessionID=GARQQN5PYN&_subSessionID=QKQSDN3ICN

Expect a class for the delta wing Roll Eyes

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:21:05 pm »

I think it's a sensible merger. Times are tight and similar series trying to attract similar punters in such times is pure folly. There have been some great GT scraps in the ALMS this year but it's been a little thin in the LMP class.

As it looks more and more like the FIA have at last got the ACO on the leash, a stronger American series could prove to be a godsend.

And as for Deltawing? I hope it finds somewhere to race. Love it or hate it, it did get more column inches* than anything else at Le Mans.

*I'm sure there is a joke to be had somewhere between a car that looks like a cock and the phrase 'column inches'?

Si

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 03:52:17 pm »

... as I said, 'rumours abound'. Only truly 'done' when 1. Official announcement and 2. The series actually merge.

The question here is not so much will-it-or-no but what form a merged series might take.

It's a done deal.

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 04:58:30 pm »

Could go either way, I hope they speed up the DP's rather than slow the ALMs P1 and 2s!

It makes alot of sense to bring the 2 series together, but there needs to be harmony re the any regs with the rest of the world, but that maybe with the DTM style of car rather than a P1 style.

Toyota are going to want to race in the USA I would have thought, (being the first hybrid to win dayota would seen to be the untaken crown of this era), as are Porsche. Audi don't seem that keen, but if the others turned up, then I am sure they would as well, if they do go the DTM route then there are already 3 makers with cars ready to roll, all 3 also big sellers in the USA.

If the series goes its own way and contine down the DP route, then it will still be the US vs the rest of the world and no one gains much. Harmony is needed.

I did read that it was Panoz's wish to sell the ALMs that has triggered this. Didnt know he was even still involved.

My feeling is that Toyota are pressing for this, they have ties to NASCAR and there is a clear link between NASCAR and DP teams. Toyota need a platform to showcase thier hybrid tech in the USA. Makes sense for Honda, BMW, Audi and Merc too.

Not sure FAX is going to like it, not a fan of the France Family if I recal.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:12:32 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:47:20 pm »

Call me cynical but... It all smells fishy to me. The France empire appears to subsidise Grand Am, rather than making a profit from it. I think that one of the reasons they do it, is to piss in the pond of the ALMS to taint and dilute American sportscar racing so that it will never become sufficiently popular as to challenge their stock car series'.

I can only think of one reason for Grand Am to absorb ALMS, and that is the same motivation that drove SKY to 'merge' with BSB. By 'merge', I mean in the same way a shark 'merges' with a drowning man.

I can see very little positive about this development, but at least it clears up the mystery of the occasional ACO blazer turning up at Grand Am events over the last couple of years.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:23:18 pm by Grand_Fromage » Logged
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:19:35 pm »

Correct Nordic, not entirely thrilled with this rumor.  However, one strong, united series is going to be better than two diluted.  The France family actually has a long history with sportscar racing, Bill France Sr (NASCAR founder) was a great fan of the sport, and the 24 Hours of Daytona was his brainchild.  His grandson is still a regular competitor in Grand-Am.  If they can merge with a satisfactory regs package (to both competitors and fans alike) it could be a succesful merger.  Grand-Am has loosened up their GT regs in recent years to attract more exotic manufacturers, and the ALMS desperately needs bigger prototype grids, perhaps Grand-Am will allow for more high tech prototypes. It could work, but I'm always suspicious of France family motives.
Fax
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:09:51 pm »

Apparently, there's a press conference tomorrow morning 10 am, just received a mail about it : "Breaking News: Live Press Conference Regarding Sports Car Racing In North America"
Live press conference : see the future.

I'm with Fax on this one, not really excited about it.   
If they'll merge the two series, the big question will be which rules will apply to the new one.  The only way to go seems to stay with ALMS rules (connection with ACO/WEC en Le Mans entries that can be won) and blend in a seperate class for the Grand AM prototypes (and eventually GT's or take them up in a GTC class).  However, if the France clan is involved, I tend to fear for everything that's ALMS.  When they want to merge, they'll do it to finally earn some money with it ... I don't think Grand AM is a money-making series at the moment.

Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 10:39:21 am »

First details ...

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-details-of-alms-unification-emerge/P1/

Mental note to myself : must get to Road Atlanta next year, no matter what.

Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:54:22 am »

Would make more sense to equalise the DTP cars with FLM, rather than slowing down the P2 class. Who remembers the first year of DTP when some of the GT cars ended up being faster than the slow and UGLY DTP field."

The idea of seeing DTPs at Sebring is really depressing.

First details ...

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-details-of-alms-unification-emerge/P1/

Mental note to myself : must get to Road Atlanta next year, no matter what.
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:29:14 am »

I guess ALMS GT isn't that much slower than the current DTP's.  Maybe it's time to get some more power in those DTP's and put them, as you say in FLM.
Slowing down the LMP's means the end of them.

Would make more sense to equalise the DTP cars with FLM, rather than slowing down the P2 class. Who remembers the first year of DTP when some of the GT cars ended up being faster than the slow and UGLY DTP field."

The idea of seeing DTPs at Sebring is really depressing.

Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 07:03:40 pm »

The ACO statement on the 'merger';

The ACO is delighted about the merger between the American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am

The Automobile Club de l’Ouest is delighted about the rapprochement between the American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am Road Racing in 2014.

In 2014, the calendars of the American Le Mans Series, organized by IMSA, and the Grand-Am Road Racing governed by NASCAR will merge following an agreement reached between the promoters of both competitions.

The Automobile Club is delighted about this merger, which will increase the already large audience for endurance in North America and at the same time boost its international impact. The quality of the two organizations combined is a guarantee of confidence concerning the perpetuation of the values and prestige of the Le Mans 24 Hours on the American continent, which are indispensable elements for endurance racing.

In its role as creator and organizer of the Le Mans 24 Hours since 1923 and promoter of the FIA World Endurance Championship, the ACO will play an active role in the development of this new championship.

The ACO has been a major player in endurance on the North-American continent and it launched the ALMS with its partner Don Panoz in 1999, after the creation of the Petit Le Mans race in 1998 on the Road Atlanta circuit in Georgia.

In 2013, the American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am will continue to run separately like in previous seasons. The details of this unified series under the same banner will be announced later on by the promoters of this new championship. It will begin with the 52nd Rolex Daytona 24 Hours in 2014.

The steering committee of this new championship will be presided by Jim France, the founder of Grand-Am as Chairman with Don Panoz, the ALMS founder as vice chairman. The other members are Lesa France Kennedy (NASCAR Executive Vice President), Ed Bennet (CEO/President Grand Am), Scott Atherton (President/CEO ALMS) and Karen Leetzow (NASCAR Vice President and Deputy General Counsel).

Pierre Fillon, President of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest: “The merger of these two championships, which was carried out with the approval of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, has become necessary to enable endurance racing to continue to evolve. In 2014, this branch of the sport will have a bigger calendar and high-quality fields. Everybody will benefit from this unified series: entrants in North America, drivers and fans. This rapprochement proves that Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s assessment of the situation is the right one, and one of its major initiatives is to reinforce the presence of endurance racing on the international scene. The foundation consists of three continental series: the European Le Mans Series, the Asian Le Mans Series and this North-American merger in 2014, which will make the base even stronger together with the FIA World Endurance Championship, while the summit of this pyramid remains the Le Mans 24 Hours. I’m happy to meet up with the new team directing this new series in the near future, and to start working with them on this North-American Championship.”
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 07:24:04 pm »

Really don't know what to make of this, agree with Big Cheese, the thought of DP's at Sebring is pretty depressing.  While they've become somewhat quicker in recent years, they're still very much a dumbed-down prototype.  NASCAR's idea of a sportscar.  A clunky, spacframe chassis, stuffed with a big V8, very little high tech about them.  As mentioned previously, Grand-Am has been kept afloat mostly by the France family, and NASCAR money.  North American fans have shown little interest in it, in both attendance, and TV ratings.  They're going to have to come up with something clever to keep the ALMS fans interested or the whole thing will collapse in a couple of years.  NASCAR needs to stick to selling their stock car series to the Bubba factor (their TV ratings and attendance have been shrinking as well) and leave sportscar racing to people who understand it.
Fax
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:27 pm »

I watched the press conference and took some notes.  Will try to put them together in something readable.

What struck me most is that it's already clear there will be no place for LMP1, I even fear for LMP2.   Hope we won't be stuck with DTP's.
Panoz wants to keep somekind of link with the ACO and Le Mans. France gave the impression to agree on that, but I won't put my money on it.

Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »

Quick notes, gives an idea of the pressconference.  Most interesting is the Q&A afterwards, gives already some insight (and is less hopefull for ALMS fans than the press releases on the net)

Jim France (Nascar.Grand Am)
Don Panoz (ALMS)
Scott Atherton (ALMS)
Ed Benett (Grand Am)

France
- milestone occasion
- GA - ALMS will be 1 sportscar organisation
- 2013 : schedule as 2012, 2 championships
- 2014 starting with Daytona 24h and Sebring 12h : combined championship north America

Panoz
will be vice chairman
- exciting time for fans of sportscar racing
- alms now has even rules, even field
- racing for the fans
- long discussions with Jim  -  Merge will get sportscar racing to reach its pinnacle

Atherton
- first attempt was 5 years ago
- Non disclosure agreement
- first meeting 6 months ago, France took the initiative
- Spoken with manufacturers & teams -> enthousiasticly received.  Many of them present at press conference

Benette
- new CEO since this year of Grand am
- very agressive timeline, went very fast & smooth.  Bold move to merge
- 8 series connected with GA/ALMS

______

Q&A

BF : schedules, name of series tba

Class structure : Atherton
Too early to be definitive.  Vision established, practical application yet to be determined.  Very complex to bring it together, technical side has to start;  Wants to get it right in the first time

Implementing cars & drivers.  View for 2014
Bennett : full field of exciting sportscars, international flare.  Input teams & manufacturers (what they sell in showroom);  collective effort

Combined championship - how occurs to Rolex 24
Atherton : product of process blended together best & brightest of both series.  That basis & vision, strenght of each series : best of the best example
GT ALMS : reference high watermark that type of racing : will be addition to 24h Daytone
Most important merging in addition to technical = schedules - best  tracks 4* tracks.  Daytona 24 Sebring 12
France : beleives in global recognition

Nascar journalist
Panoz : importance cars being able to compete in Le Mans
Common testdays with teams, make cars competitive.  Attention to fans, sponsors & their comments.  Le Mans : teams being able to go to LM, teams maying drop points of 1 race.  No words about protorypes
trying to find solutions to get greatest sports car series in the world

ALMS relation with ACO
Meeting with ACO (president), suprised about merge.  very productive discussion.  Jim France : important priority to retain link with ACO and Le Mans.  Vision & plan : retain relationship with ACO ... easier said than done , up to the task

Technical regulations - combo ALMS/Grand AM
Ed : acces to relations & personnel 2 series + FIA consulting
Tyres : to be seen

Schedule : number of races
Very preliminary, number talked about is 12.  Tied to television partnerships.  Daytona/Sebring/Le Mans = full schedule

Minefield sponsors tracks ACO FIA ...
What in common behind the obvious
JF : passion sportscar racing & great events, both investmenst in SC racing.  Both great teams & experience.  JF : personnaly no obstacles to put it together
DP : ACO.FIA -> do what's good for combined series ... deal with sponsors/organisations ... do the best   bitten by LM, this is USA with their own fans.  Will be adressing what sponsors & fans want

Economic impact -> more racefans ?
JF : increased interest, Daytona all over the world, international interest.  Teams come over to compete in Daytona AND Sebring
SA : underreported : asset of DP in new group (DIS ?).  Big asset to own your venue in addition to the content that comes into it.  Colaberatiev effort between Daytona & Sebring, coproduced & organised  ...   Don(t know how far this is going to get

WEC - Alternative tech ?
DP : alternative can be accepted
WEC : LMP1 -> beyond what ALMS & Grand AM capable of - manufacturers playfield.  Not thinking of LMP1 class or prototypes.  New series : American sportscars - take care of own business in own market  - act responsably in own interest.  
SA : intention for relationship with ACO, 2014 and beyond still to be written

concern Gt class in ALMS (best road racing in world) fear to wind down on to Grand Am standards
2 classes : GT1 & GT2
SA : GT ALMS as good as it gets, every type of car, believe to retain to have succesfull competition.  Current content ALMS agreed to be part of combined series.  Fears to rest : plan is to retain GT as in ALMS now
BF : GT in rolex also very good.  looks for competitive event - still to figure out how

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: