Club Arnage
May 05, 2024, 07:59:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lmes  (Read 9126 times)
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2004, 10:28:57 pm »

This is something I've never really been able to understand either. Actually keeping the spectators informed would seem like a no-brainer priority to me.
I think one year we had a tower, similar to Indy, but it never actually got up and running. Work that one out.
RLM's ok, but you don't get that many updates, and it's not unusual to have to sit through a lot of drivel before hearing what's what. Actually, when I say it's ok, I mean it's been pretty poor the last couple of years. Recovering conciousness on a Sunday morning is always a very disorientating experience, bringing more questions than answers. 'Who's in front?' normally goes unanswered for a while. 'Who am I?' though, usually gets answered straight away, and it's not always flattering.
I read somewhere of a radio attachment for a gameboy, which constantly updates the display with race order, now that sounds neat, but not as good as actually having the position lit up on the car. Can you get shirts that do the same?
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Fax
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2004, 11:13:17 pm »

Even if they don't use the ALMS transdponder system a few strategically placed electronic scoreboards would be helpful.
At Sebring, Mid-Ohio, Road Atlanta, etc. they have video screens showing the Speedchannel feed as well as simple electronic scoreboards that continually cycle through the standings in each class.  This comes in very handy at some venues because the ALMS radio network feed can sometimes be at best...challenging.  Dave and I bought a pair a cheap radio headphones at a Sebring Walmart once that left us convinced they were programed to only pick up country music.
John
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2004, 11:42:14 pm »

I read somewhere of a radio attachment for a gameboy, which constantly updates the display with race order, now that sounds neat, but not as good as actually having the position lit up on the car. Can you get shirts that do the same?
H

I saw a dude at Sebring using one of these - looked like it worked pretty well.
There are other track monitoring devices you can rent here in the US that provide you with a variety of different data and information - including circuit TV links (believe it or not) for pits footage during the race etc.  I remember them for rent at Road Atlanta.

But all these great things would only be viable if the ACO gave a flying crap.  I rather suspect they interpret the needs of most fans to be grubby turd-laden fields where folks can stack-up empty green beer bottles and the ability to buy $40 per bottle mediocre Champers.

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 11:55:36 pm »

But all these great things would only be viable if the ACO gave a flying crap.

Yes, I came to the conclusion a few years ago that they in fact don't.

Last year they decided that seeing as how the big screen in the village had been so popular in 2002, then we really didn't need it in 2003. Viewing has gradually got worse, and any areas that could be improved haven't. Hope is not lost though! I reckon this year they will excel in the 'turd laden field' field, as MB is now much larger, and you can bet your anusol that there will be no extra showers or bogs. It's deja-vu time I think.
Isn't it dijon-vu when you think you've had that mustard before?
H

Fax
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2004, 03:03:58 am »

Christ it must have been a nightmare before RLM because at times it can be a fiasco with RLM.  In all fairness they do seem to try very hard but as you guys have said, the updates can be few & far between and good grief the pitlane reporting is a three ring circus in itself.  A few years ago we were sitting around the old champers stand and I was listening to some guy on RLM telling me that the Toyota lads had set about changing that "metal thingy" at the back of the car...What the f**k! Metal thingy?  Gearbox, halfshaft...wheel nut perhaps?  Incisive bit a reporting that was.
John
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2004, 06:51:09 am »

Hi Guys, The live scoring system is called iCard and it fits
into a gameboy. Gives a live feed of the timing and scoring that ALMS feed to the screens in the pits. It has taken 3 years to get it working at all and still alittle unstable ( aren't we all Huh) However at $169 a bit expensive for one or two races a year. Fax i think the flashing postion lights is the default position as they all do that for the practice sessions to test they are working. The scoreboards are indeed briliant and make for a better understanding of what is going on. I too recall RLM being more informative in 99 than in recent years.
Canada Phil
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004, 09:51:28 am »

Nice one fax!
That reminds me, I've got to re-new some of the metal thingies inside the big metal whatsit in the brick thingy next to the thingy with a tiled thing on top where I sleep.
H
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:53:50 am by BigH » Logged

hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 10:09:46 am »

What a phantastic weekend !!! Grin Despite the forecast this one  Cool was needed, I burned my skin, excellent. Pictures will come tomorrow, I didn't have the time to go through all of them yet.
Monza IS racing history. I wasn't aware that the old oval does still exist. However, as Martin Short said, this place is a bitch to get to. Grin The Italian road signs are rarely pointing into the correct direction.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Fax
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 03:44:55 pm »

Phil,
Come to think of it, I have seen cars circulating with the lights flashing during morning warm-up.  Makes sense to run the test signal then.  HGB, must admit I'm jealous that you've been to Monza.  Its always been one of those venues I've wanted to see before I check into that great Holiday Inn in the sky.  The old banking while still there, is apparently in a terrible state and may have to be torn down for saftey reasons.  Motor Sport magazine visited Monza a few years ago to take a look around the banking and things looked pretty grim.  The underside is crumbling badly and there just isn't the money to repair it.  The was some kind of a fund drive going on a few years ago to raise some dosh to help restore it but I'm not sure what ever became of that.
John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: