Club Arnage
May 21, 2024, 09:13:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVLA Plans - This is serious  (Read 18004 times)
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2005, 05:01:45 pm »

Lorry,
It works in Australia and in certain states in the US, where the cars are inspected by registered people who are cretified by the Hot Rod organisations (NSRA, ASRA).
There are guidebooks that show how a car 'should' be built.
These guys are experienced car builders who know what they are looking at and know what to look for.

It's not about not testing the cars as has been suggested by others, it's about knowing what you are testing and testing appropriately.

My Zody is certified down to 10 seconds on the strip and passes it's MOT each year with no problems.

It would never pass an SVA test though, because the SVA tests based on 'current' safety legislation.

Not in terms of how well the car is built, but how 'pedestrian and occupant safe' it is.

A standard 1960 Zody wouldn't pass, so why should a modified one even have to try and pass?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 05:03:16 pm by Steve TTTD » Logged

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2005, 06:36:25 pm »

Yes, but the issue is that they won't xray the welds, do stress analysis etc, they have to take a view and to give guidelines for this you end up with a test that is like the SVA - it can comply with the rules, but is still unsafe.

I don't think that you can let anything out on the road, but you can't legislate for it.

Is the Zodiac still column change? (4 on the floor was a period modification - did they miss that)

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2005, 06:40:09 pm »

The Zodiac has a C4 auto box...
At the moment I am hoping that we can get the rules changed, if not shelved, with enough pressure.

People have been modifying cars, safely for a very long time now, the trouble is that they are trying to pass impossible laws that will outlaw it all without knowing what they are dealing with.

How many of the people who are formulating these proposals even know what a Hot Rod is???

TeamTickleTheDragon
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2005, 06:47:19 pm »

How many of the people who are formulating these proposals even know what a Hot Rod is???

Could it even be that this is their actual plan, that they don't see a place for Hot Rods on the road??
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2005, 08:14:39 pm »

a place for Hot Rods on the road

I used to know a Hot Rod who hung around, quite literally, on the Kings Road and hired himself out to the ladies. His claims to fame were a passing resemblance to Rod Stewart and a todger like a weekend special from the Dynorod warehouse.
In the end I think he went overboard with drink and drugs. What's the betting he's on a Q plate now?
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2005, 12:25:11 am »

Could it even be that this is their actual plan, that they don't see a place for Hot Rods on the road??
If you don't understand it, ban it.  Those that have a clue don't want 400bhp running through 50 year old spotwelds, and they all feel the need to tell us what to do.  I still can't see the problem they're trying to fix.  I think the health and safety hats have been put on, and cars are dangerous, so the more dangerous cars deserve their attention.  Sorry, but its the drivers that are dangerous ninety nine times out of a hundred.

Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2005, 01:04:39 am »

You've hit the nail square on the head there Lorry.
It's Health and Safety gone crazy, masterminded by people who haven't got a clue.
If you read the responses to the consultation document, the police are concerned with spotting ringers and getting them off the road.
But here's a thought.
You could easily go out and buy a crashed 2 year old Mondeo, take running gear and interior out of it, bolt it all into a new shell and put it back on the road.
You take it to the MOT station and the guy looks at it, tests it and, because it is not modified, it goes back on sale no questions asked...... No SVA.

Of course that doesn't mean it's a dangerous wreck does it?it's safe because it's not been 'modified'

Or you could take a completely rebuilt 1960 Zodiac, with a full cage, race derived suspension, race derived brakes, built by 'say' Andy Robinson. (For those who don't know, one of the top chassis and racecar builders in the UK) to the same station.
It would be reported to VOSA as modified, subject to SVA and would fail.

Of course it's not safe is it, because it doesn't have reversing lights, foglamps and the switchgear has the wrong radius..

TeamTickleTheDragon
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2005, 01:43:01 pm »

The level of incompetence of these people amazes me, and see the Trail Riders message too.

There was a chap locally who bought write offs, straightened then out with hydraulics, plus some wings & a bit of paint etc and sold them.  I only found out as a friend was after a fuel pump, and this chaps latest "restoration" had started to fold back up, so he had to scrap it.  The insurers register write offs, so you can find out, but some poor slob could have bought this only to find out its history at 80 in the fast lane.

So how does this legislation help here - the car is still original (unfortunately)

And forget foglamps, what if your classic has trafficators or whatever those things were called.

Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2005, 10:53:24 am »

This is the response document that has been sent to the DVLA as part of the campaign.
For those who think we are just trying to get overpowered, under engineedrd vehicle on the road it should prove enlightening reading.
For those who understand the issues at hand it shows what's being done.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/editorial13.htm

TeamTickleTheDragon
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2005, 11:22:11 am »

H' something for you to think about with your 'A home built car with a big engine should be tested stance'

If I decided to put a 500bhp Supercharged and Nitrous Injected Chevy engine in my Rover P5b, but kept everything else standard (Chassis, Brakes, Gearbox, Suspension etc) the car would NOT require any kind of SVA test on what would be a potential deathtrap of a car?
Yet if I put in a 305TPI, 700R4, Uprated the brakes, suspension, handling etc (making a very safe, practical vehicle) it WOULD be subject to testing.

This is the stupidity of the proposed legislation

TeamTickleTheDragon
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2005, 02:47:47 pm »

H' something for you to think about with your 'A home built car with a big engine should be tested stance'

If I decided to put a 500bhp Supercharged and Nitrous Injected Chevy engine in my Rover P5b, but kept everything else standard (Chassis, Brakes, Gearbox, Suspension etc) the car would NOT require any kind of SVA test on what would be a potential deathtrap of a car?
Yet if I put in a 305TPI, 700R4, Uprated the brakes, suspension, handling etc (making a very safe, practical vehicle) it WOULD be subject to testing.

This is the stupidity of the proposed legislation

Steve , have you thought about getting support from the Police on the matter.
If it means un-safe vehicles can potentially get through, and safer vehciles stopped, they maybe intersted. Write to your local traffic base and go for someone at Inspector level ( lowest ) or a Superintendant.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2005, 04:22:32 pm »

Thanks Robbo,
I'll get a letter off to them and see what they say...

TeamTickleTheDragon
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2005, 08:39:58 pm »

Just written a letter about other items titled " Safer Roads " a government idea to reduce road casulaties.

The matter is being assisted by the police and will help 2 wheel people.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: