Club Arnage
May 13, 2024, 10:19:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Back!  (Read 22334 times)
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 03:59:08 am »

We got in about 01:30am today (Tuesday) after very pleasant leisurly return trip, now finding it difficult to get back into normal sleeping pattern, hence posting now, still no work tomorrow - so what the hell.

Good to meet up with Wishy there, along with Neil (NoPanic), Barry and Andy, and Douglas & son, amongst others. Sorry didn't get to meet up with you Doug after our chance encounter in the ACO stand, we went to the Courbe bar at the appointed time and sometime thereafter but failed to spot many CA'er's so carried on enjoying the race. Went to the Stranglers gig too but the chances of meeting there would have been even slimmer.

Nice to see Tom too - kept bumping into you. We must have the same modus operandi during the race!

Highlights apart from the above were:

1. The good weather (except Wed. night)
2. Sitting in the stand watching the race whilst the sun sun came up Sunday morning.
3. The glorious sound of the Lola Aston - well done for a deserved fourth.

Lowlights:

1. The ACO 'Privelige' facilities at La Chapelle. Running out of large beer glasses early on, a distinct lack of seating, and installing a pizza oven inside a temporary tent that was already hot enough with the sun beating down on it, oh, and charging 15 Euros to my friends for the privelige of being there. Hopefully this is just teething troubles.

2. The Radio Le Mans link up with ITV4 at 14:15 or thereabouts. The (as usual) excellent commentary changed completely from that that recognises the knowledge of the listeners that have been tuned in for a couple of days, to a very dumbed down version for a (I suspect) largely less interested audience on UK TV, and the much less irreverent tone - one of the hallmarks that we most enjoy. I understand that RLM must try to maximise it's exposure but I'm not sure this was the best idea. Also the timing of it, the race was all but over and the usual forming up for a choreographed finish etc. does not make for exciting TV.

Already planning for next year - accommodation already booked. Not so sure about the tickets etc. though as the ACO would not take any bookings and say contact them in September, something to do with a new system?? Let's hope it's an improvement over the arrangements for the last few years.

All in all a good one.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 06:30:25 am »

The commentary changed when Speed left the race.
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 08:05:47 am »

Home yesterday [Monday] at 14:30 via Boulogne and Dover.

Weather was horrible between LM and Rouen - struggled to stay awake

Got to Boulogne only to find that ferry was 45 mins late.

Thanks to all I met - 2010 planning has started.

Crouch..........bind..........set
Simon13
CA Veteran

I hate the waiting!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 08:47:38 am »

I noticed a distinct lack of CA tee shirts this year!  The difference was really noticable and I am sure will be rectified for next year!!
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 10:20:35 am »

Back in the UK and back at work.  How utterly depressing.  Still, at least I can get some sleep now.   Grin

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Jon King
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 10:33:16 am »

back home now got back last night sadly i've got work today

Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 10:36:28 am »

We're back!
Had to pack up in the rain, checked our tunnel time and realised we were an hour earlier than normal!
Queue out of Bleu Nord! turned around and went to Arnage then out!
Cut in on the queue that exists to the roundabout before the peage (sorry!)
Cut across country before the A28 peage before Rouen (adds 8 minutes according to Tomtom!)
Cut in on queue on slip road to Calais that leaves Rouen (sorry again!)
Quick driver change after Rouen, and after about an hour start getting past by cars that got stuck at the A28 peage!!
Pulled into the tunnel with 5 minutes to spare!!
Gutted to find that the M20/M25 service stations are Wimpey's so had to detour to Sevenoaks to find Maccy D's!
Home to Reading at 6pm!

Awesome weekend with the best mates I could ever need, caught up with old friends & met some new ones too!
Bring on 2010!!

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 10:46:06 am »

Back last night after a death drive to catch a ferry which we ultimately missed.

Sat at my desk trying to open the post but neither my brain nor hands are working properly.

Full sports report later...  Smiley

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Queen Vic of the Melans
CA Veteran

Vicky

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 10:46:33 am »

I'm alive, just!  

Every year the event gets better and I don't know how this year is going to be topped.  I even managed to watch a bit of racing!?  The Astons were just amazing!  Grin

Thanks so much to everyone, old friends and new that we met up with this year.  The Brethren, Zarses, DfH, JPC you're legends!  

Now all I need to do is find out who threw the bloody egg as we left and I'll look back at the weekend as being perfect...
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 11:02:14 am »

Back home at 4pm yesterday after driving in horrendous conditions between Alencon and Rouen.
 What a great weekend thanks to friends old and new. After the storm on Wednesday evening I Must remember to take lots of gaffer tape next year, thanks Rick much appreciated.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
nickliv
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 11:07:31 am »

It wasn't another sh*t storm was it Bob?
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 11:14:04 am »

Got in Rotterdam at 8.30 pm instead of the proclaimed 5.30 pm due to a traffic mess at Paris and Gent. I was being a good boy on speeding till Gent, never came above 110 kmh with the van, but then I tried how fdar I could go, as I wanted to get home. 132 kmh was about it, not bad for a shedformed 4 tonner. Grin Had a beer with Paddy and Meesh after I got there, and was at home at 10.15. I did hear my alarm this morning, I'm quite sure, but woke up again 2 hours later.  Roll Eyes Now tryaing to get some work done, but struggling.

Vic, I might know who threw the egg....  Tongue

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 11:17:21 am »

Back after a ten hour ride yesterday from BN to Cologne. All the camping gear is still wet from Monday mornings rain- not nice...

What a blast, this race week - met many of you. Thanks to all for their hospitality, all the cold beers I was offered, Mark for the tropicoma and especially to Rusty from the Brethren to keep me in the loop with the BN tickets.

First time I expercienced to camp surrounded by other CAers -  hope his will happen again in 2010.

BTW: Did I mention I was on the grid? Grin Grin Grin

Cheers to all

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 11:19:50 am »

Left just before the end of the race (but listened on the radio) no traffic out of Le mans. Spent the evening in the company of great friends Eating and drinking and drinking again in Bagnol, before leasurely but fast drive cross country until picking up the motorway at Pont du nord (is that how you spell it)?
Problem is that I got flashed twice by mobile speed cameras hidden under bridges. Am I in big poo?
I hit the mother of all storms back in the UK on the A2.

Many thanks to everyone for making it a fantastic weekend again, especially those camped with me, Perdu, Toby, Rach, Doug, Nick and Bob T.
Team Zarse, the Brethren, JPC and drinking for Holland.
Coming home to Lois was nice too Wink

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Mike

We are The Flying Baguettes!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 12:13:07 pm »

back at 11.30 last night after drive from Hotel to Dieppe.

Uneventful apart from problems with the MGB (carbs), MGA (fuel leak from carbs), panther (Fuel starvation, pump??), Mustang (electrics) and then the ferry operator saying that one of our cars was booked on the Tuesday ferry and not the monday!

All sorted out after a few galic shrugs of shoulders and some common sense from the english supervisor!

Whilst it was another great year it did seem a bit quiter this year. Don't know if this is due to the economic climate, additional policing, weather, something else or all the above!

Highlight was the Lola Astons - great result and best sounding car in the race!

Off now to sleep and start planning next year!

Bonnet de Douche! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: