Club Arnage
May 08, 2024, 11:43:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REMPARTS D' ANGOULEME RACE- Tips or advise please  (Read 3674 times)
BILKO

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:17:25 pm »

Hi guys
Me & the ol lady are off to France in a few weeks to have a nosey at this classic road race down in the cherente http://www.circuit-des-remparts.com/index.php?skip=T&circuit_remparts=e64d3375f80a502fea3de2154e0232bf . Looks like we're gonna hire a mobile home about 20 mins North of Angouleme, plan is to leave on Mon 14th get down there for Tues 15th and visit the Pineau factorys & Brandy distillerys for a few days before the race starts on the 18/19/20th. I was just wondering if any of you lot have ever been to this race and if so have you any tips for where to park or get a good view of the race,roads to avoid etc, is it worth going to the Friday night "Concours d'élégance"  .

We're gonna leave Angloume on Mon 21st and take a slow drive up to Reims/Gueux to take a few pics of the car in front of the old pits and then carry on to Spa for the 6hr endurance race weekend. Can anyone think of anything else we should try to incorporate in to this trip whilst we're out there.
cheers

I dont think i want to be in a club that would have someone like me as a member  Wink.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:47:42 pm »

Hi
Not sure if it is on your way but there is a good motor museum with over 400 exhibits at Loheac inbetween Rennes and Nantes on the D117 Route de Leuron.

http://www.manoir-automobile.fr/welcome/index.php

Well worth a visit but make sure you have a minimum of two hours.

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:22:37 pm »

The first time I went there was '92 and haven't been back for a few years now but am going again this year. It is (or was ) pretty free and easy going with access to the pits/paddock (make that the town square) and good fun. They race round one side of the town square, turn right down the hill and the right again outside of the old fortifications, along the bottom straight and then back up inside the town past the cathedral. All good fun. There is a good rally you can take part in on the Friday and the "Concours d'Elegance" is (or again was) a lighthearted affair not like the really serious ones but then times in this respect have probably changed somewhat. If you are stopping off at Jarnac for some brandy don't go for the big names but look (opposite Courvoisier just over the bridge) for Delamain down a street opposite; in France considered one of the upper market brands. Rheims/Gueux has been totally rebuilt by a band of volunteers but the old circuit can never be reconstituted sadly since part of it is now filled with traffic lights etc but the Thillois/Gueux section in front of the pits and grandstand is still there of course. Supposed to be a good weekend but for most static and so not to my taste.
BILKO

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:31:55 am »

Cheers lads
the museum looks great but may be a tad out of our way for this trip but i'll keep it mind for next time we're in that neck of the woods.
the race weekend sounds like its just what i'm after, a laid back car weekend  Smiley . We where going to the cherente this trip anyway to see where the wifes chill out medication was distilled   Grin . we'll defo go to find Delamain while we're there m8, I'll let you know what she thought of it later.  we only found out about this rempart race about a week ago purely by chance, so its a big added bonus for us.
the mobile homes are now booked, 6 days in Angoloume and 4 days at Spa d'or , just got to sort the routes out now and some odd stop over nights enroute.

I dont think i want to be in a club that would have someone like me as a member  Wink.
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:02:58 pm »

If you have never been before you'll love it, but get there early. Buy your tickets as soon as you can and on race days drive in early, park up and take a picnic with you as it gets a bit manic. A good grandstand is the one on the final corner before the start finish (looking towards the church) as you can see the start straight, then the three final corners as they wind back up the hill (and, quite often, crash into the walls and other cars).

The Bugattis are a sight for sore eyes and interestingly, most of the field comes from the UK generally.

Take a hat and a waterproof jacket (i.e. normal Le Mans attire) - it can get sufferingly hot in the middle of the streets with all the people around too - last year temps got up to 40 odd degrees in the grandstand, but the year before it p*ssed down ....

Don't forget too the Rallye the day before (the route is kept secret until Thursday evening but then published on the website and you can plan a route to lay in wait as they come by and enjoy a picnic by the side of the road, or stop at the lunch stop and drool at the cars parked up). They usually stop for lunch somewhere near Cognac (last year lunch was at the Hennessey factory in Cognac so all the cars were parked up along the banks of the Charente).

Finally, there is the 'Concourse D'elegance' in Angouleme town centre on the Friday and/or Sat evenings.

We are only about 40 mins away but not sure if we are going or not this year. PM me if you want a contact number in case you have any other questions etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: