Club Arnage
May 11, 2024, 05:14:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rural Crisis?  (Read 3944 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:50:10 pm »

There is a growing feeling of discontent in the countryside, what with the rundown of services and the closure of local businesses and shops. Indeed in my own quaint Sussex village the local florist has closed down and frankly I'm absolutely delighted. They've just opened up a Le Mans shop instead! Walking past for the first time, my eye was caught by a large picture of the Aston DBR9 and I found myself reflecting what a huge improvement it was over the ghastly overpriced sneeze-inducing flowers that used to occupy the site.

http://www.roystondouglas.co.uk/main.html

Bravo! Now if only they'd shut down the local Post Office we could have something useful like a sex shop instead.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 03:04:49 pm »

Glad to see that beige is the new beige in rural Sussex too!

F
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:12:47 pm »

Every village should have one. We have this place  which is a whole lot better than a Ford Dealer or Arthur Daley's Motor Emporium.

http://www.sladesgarage.com/admin/cars.asp

Not a bad selection of cars

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:21:49 pm »

I had a peek in Slades window when they had the Koenisgthingymajig in there, It's lovely but very wide.
Nearly fifty grand for an Aston Martin Lagonda sounds a bit on the steep side to me.
Nice walks around there Bob.

Andy, that shop looks fantastic, and a much better place to spend your money on valentines day, i'd say.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 04:29:59 pm »

Nice walks around there Bob.

There sure is Gary. Earlier this year we took a Sunday afternoon  walk through the woods to a pub in the next village (Penn Street) but I'd trodden in some fox sh**t on the way and the landlord banished me to the garden. You'd have thought country folk would be used to that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 04:37:43 pm by BOB U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 04:43:29 pm »

Looking at the houses around there, It's obvious why HA is the only logical campsite for you.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 05:48:49 pm »

One has to have one's standards as you well know being a fellow HAer. Musn't say too much though it will only encourage FS to come along and stick his oar in as usual Roll Eyes

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 06:50:40 pm »

This was my "local" back in blighty http://www.rrec-se.co.uk/Sargeant.htm
Mr Sargeant was in the news a few years back when he died having crashed his Spitfire (as in 'plane). Sad

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 07:14:26 pm »

One has to have one's standards as you well know being a fellow HAer. Mustn't say too much though it will only encourage FS to come along and stick his oar in as usual Roll Eyes

Bob, given up for the time being as I have left a trail recently and you haven't been sniffing along it,  can't be doing with all this wasted effort.  Do keep up at the back there. Grin
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 08:48:43 am »

Looks like an interesting little shop, I hope it does better than the last few that have been on that site.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 06:23:04 pm »

Glad to see that beige is the new beige in rural Sussex too!

F

What did you expect? Handcross lies halfway between Eastbourne and Worthing, the great "elephant's graveyards" of the South Coast. The English equivalents to Florida if you like.

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 06:26:29 pm »

Looks like an interesting little shop, I hope it does better than the last few that have been on that site.

Nordic, you're right of course, the last occupier wasn't actually a florist shop, it was the Sussex Spa shop. I dare say you knew that seeing as you're in that business too. It always amused me that if you looked at the shop sign from a certain direction it looked like the company was called SEX SPAS.  How childish I am! Cheesy

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »

Nordic, you're right of course, the last occupier wasn't actually a florist shop, it was the Sussex Spa shop. I dare say you knew that seeing as you're in that business too. It always amused me that if you looked at the shop sign from a certain direction it looked like the company was called SEX SPAS.  How childish I am! Cheesy

In my experience, had it in fact been called Sex Spas, then business would have been a whole lot better for them!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 06:42:28 pm »

Yes. Rumour had it they didn't sell one the whole time they were there. The internet so often kills that type of shop. And look at the Dead...  sorry, Red Lion. No idea how the place keeps going on that turnover. Scottish and Newcastle Brewerys must have deep pockets. Bring back the Carvery!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: