Club Arnage
May 13, 2024, 10:48:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TVR changes hands  (Read 21878 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2004, 09:34:22 am »

In reality, the fact that the C5 ever made it into production at all, given the corporate turmoil that existed in GM in the early 90's, is a miracle.

Very true.  My wifes daily driver until 2 years ago was a rather nice black 1998 Chevrolet Camaro with T roofs and all the toys.  Left hand drive in the UK but so what, you can't overtake now anyway  Wink
It certainly wasn't a sportscar in the Vette / TVR mould but it could (just) seat 4, was comfortable and easy to drive and was reasonably fast.  If we want to scare ourselves in a car, we get the cobra out of the garage.

Then the corporate accountants killed off the 'F' body and so the Camaro and Pontiac Firebird were consigned to history.  I know their sales had dropped of, but it would have been nice to still have a cheap, rear drive, V8 powered GM alternative to the Mustang.

Now there's a whole new can of worms.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Fax
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2004, 01:44:14 pm »

I should clarify that when I said the Corvette doesn't have a status tag attached to it, I meant that one doesn't need to be rich/and or famous to get your hands on one.  If you make a solid middle class income and have stashed away a few bucks you can roll off the dealers lot with one of your own.  They certainly have a mystique of their own.
Fax
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2004, 03:06:00 pm »

Steve - shame about the demise of the Transmaro - especially the WS6 and SS. The GTO (Monaro) will probably pick up the slack, once they've ironed the wrinkles out - but at $30K plus, a Mustamg Cobra SVT or Mach 1 seems a much better mechanical package and the Ford is much cheaper to hog-up. What lets the pony down is god-awful interiors and a bodyshell shared with the lowest of the low.
Hi Fax - I think you were right first time. Yes - a Corvette is considerd to be a bit of an American icon, but they are very affordable to buy - particularly as the C6 is upon us. I assure you, you don't have to be any kind of hot-shot to buy one - now running the bastard - that's another issue altogether........  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2004, 08:20:52 pm »

Posted by: A Zarse
PS Suzuki X7? Now you're talking! What a top piece of tackle that was in it's day.

Ah ,, memories - 1978 , the 1st bike i ever owned

i was an RD 250/350 LC man there must have been more of those smashed up than any other bike, 500 LC was just a lemon.

Suzzy RG 250 Gamma went well though   Tongue

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2004, 07:06:57 pm »

Wow, go to work for a while, dont log on and this ....

TVR in my limited knowledge are relaible. I speak of this as my sisters car hasnt EVR broken down, still is in one piece ( despite 2 crashes) and goes like the preverbial.

The car at 170mph felt good, and i am told there was more to go, but i bottled it.

Matt obviously likes his car, and the Vettes are popular in German too, where i believe davis Hasselholf ( Knight Rider ) is a really popular singer

Anyone getting the links.......

The fairest way to settle this is for someone ( ME ) to drive both cars back to back and compare.

Although i am a real patriot , I drive a TRUE British car.

The pointless debate of which is better will always come to down to preferences. I think JORDAN ( the model ) is ugly, all my mates think she's great, etc etc.

I would buy a TVR tomorrow if i could, forget Porkies, Vettes and Red Tarts hand bags ( Fiats ). Its about passion and choise.

I say TVR, and NOTHING will ever change that.

Wet Road + Sub WRX = Old Man driving = Mid Life Crisis = 50mph at best

Take life by the horns and live it.
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2004, 04:29:47 am »

I would buy a TVR tomorrow if i could, forget Porkies, Vettes and Red Tarts hand bags ( Fiats ). Its about passion and choise.

Now come on Robbo - be reasonable!  I think I could change your attitude with a quick test drive.
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2004, 11:34:44 am »

Wet Road + Sub WRX = Old Man driving = Mid Life Crisis = 50mph at best

wrx are the preserve of the girlfriendless, those who sit on their hand until it goes numb to pretened its someone else.

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
SteveZarse
CA Veteran

Probably the best llama in the world

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2004, 09:31:03 am »

The fairest way to settle this is for someone to drive both cars back to back and compare.

Shocked Could not believe my eyes when Top Gear decided it might be a good idea to test the C6 against a TVR350 (amongst other cars) in a straight line last night.
For those who didn't see it, it was magnificent! Grin Grin The vette pulled off the line quickest by far, due to the other 3 cars having initial traction problems. The vette finished 3rd  Grin Grin Grin and the feeling of glee was overwhelming as the TVR went past it (soon after the start) like a train! Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Argue with that! Wink
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 09:33:28 am by SteveZarse » Logged

TEAM ZARSE - It's our pleasure!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2004, 12:03:03 pm »

Hmmm....

Seeing as Matt is a seasoned and highly skilled debater, I think you'll find he won't. But I'd expect a pretty sharp and pithy response if I were you.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 12:08:15 pm by A Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2004, 12:07:40 pm »

How on earth do you work that one out Robbo? You drive a friggin' Honda Civic and as far as I know good ole Soichiro was definitely Japanese.

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2004, 01:36:36 pm »

How on earth do you work that one out Robbo? You drive a friggin' Honda Civic and as far as I know good ole Soichiro was definitely Japanese.

Andrew -

My car was initially a joint project between Honda - Japan and Rover.

In 2000 / 2001 Peter Stevens re-designed the main bits of the car, Suspension, bodywork, performance tweeks. The Japanesse have now ( 5 months ago ) given up their part of the deal and have reytuened the sole rights to MG R, which makes my car = 100% British

Take life by the horns and live it.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2004, 02:34:22 pm »

This Anglo/Jap "joint project" thing is played up too much. The car was designed by Honda 100% and on sale in Japan as a Civic a year before it was introduced by Rover. I understand from a very old friend who is quite well in with Rover, the Roverisation process meant little more than recalibrating the suspension, fitting the (quite brilliant) K series engine, working out where to put the plastic wooden door inserts and the choice of velour on the seats. When it was first introduced, it was a thoroughly wretched vehicle. I know, I had one as a company car. Not a patch on the previous two Rover 200's I had.

Stevens redesigned the body kit post BMW and as you say the suspension was tweaked, transforming the vehicle. But I think your car is a diesel, which, (and I stand to be corrected) has a Peugeot engine. The gearbox in the 400/ZS is also built under licence by/from Peugeot.

I understand Honda gave up the design as it is no good to them any more. There have been two generations of Civic since the 400 came on the scene. IMO, the Civic Type R is the epitome of a modern hot hatch. That the ZS is now so good to drive is a testament to the age old British skill of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Robbo, I'm not knocking your choice of car, it has much to commend it, but I can't see that an old Japanese chassis/body, with all major components designed in Japan, a froggy drive train and a mirriad of other more minor components made abroad qualifies it as 100% British.

Just my opinion.

Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2004, 04:38:57 pm »

the top gear drag race wouldn't make me change my mind

i think that when you're spending that kind of cash you know what you want and why you want it and what its faults are AND you're prepared to accept them.

In the age of Indepedent MacPherson struts with L-shaped lower arms and telescopic hydraulic dampers with coil springs and anti-roll bar.  
H Shaped flexible torsion beam with hydraulic couplings set at 40º from the x-axis, leaf springs are a novelty, still they appear to work.  

opinions of top gear wouldn't influence my choice nor the choice of many as the one that came last, porsche, outsells just about everything in various guises

likewise the BMW, seen five just today, but on their opinion you wouldn't buy it nor the 407.  

SteveZarse
CA Veteran

Probably the best llama in the world

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2004, 05:12:37 pm »

But that's the beauty of what was on Top Gear last night - it wasn't an opinion, it was a race. The product of which was this fact: The TVR goes faster in a straight line. As you rightly say Ron, it's important to go armed with all the important facts when you go shopping.

TEAM ZARSE - It's our pleasure!
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2004, 05:18:19 pm »

As you rightly say Ron, it's important to go armed with all the important facts when you go shopping.

Wrong, TVRs and Vettes are emotional cars. If you talk about shopping trolleys then facts count.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: