Club Arnage
May 12, 2024, 08:47:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Real Italian Job: James Martin's Mille Miglia  (Read 21311 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:50:21 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g82ff

Could be a load of tosh, but at 9pm (or 9.15 depending on where you look)  'The Real Italian Job: James Martin's Mille Miglia' is on BBC2 is on.

As long as he does not stop at every cafe and try to knock up a meal it may be a worth watching.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:56:54 am »

I don't think he got far enough to stop at many cafes  Grin

There's a man who learnt that you can't buy your way to wins in motorsport!

Good programme though.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:16:29 am »

The programme was interesting, but I feel it would have been a lot better hade he finished. Good insight into the rally and the cost of setting up such a trip, though the car was a little dear and I think he was lost in the euphoria of driving 'Italian' I am sure the other guys that he had a bet with were nowhere near the £850k that I think he eventually spent. Did anyone think of contacting the Maserati factory to see if they had a valve?

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:32 am »

Disappointing program - I had expected better.

I won't be hurrying to go & spend money at his Deli in Winchester in order to cover his costs.

Guess this means more JM programs & appearences?

*yawns*

Crouch..........bind..........set
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:15:04 pm »

"Dissapointing" is to mild a word to discribe that pile of tosh that was put out as a program about the Mille Miglia. They kept going about it as a race, its not, its a three day retro run along the old race route. As for that James Martin, talk about doing it all for the wrong reasons, to make a car, that he new zilch about (and rushed the rebuild PPPPPP!!!) worth more money. Stick to your pots and pans making omlets mate. The program makers should have stuck to the guys in the Aston, Alfa and MG. They were having a great time. Tho I like the resigned look the young racer he was using as his navigator (great PR for her) gave, with just a hit of "you twat" thown in

Makes me what to do the Mille Miglia even more tho. The roads are stunning. I think I will have a FIAT 500 or Topolino, and take James's girlfriend as my navigator........... Wink

redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 08:26:58 pm »

I may have misheard but im sure he said that the loud banging noise was the radiator! More money than sense springs to mind.
TobyAnscombe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 09:08:24 pm »

Meh - Just watched it and was somewhat disappointed for the same reasons as everyone else...

Who the hell can punt 850K on a whim?
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 09:15:17 pm »

"Dissapointing" is to mild a word to discribe that pile of tosh that was put out as a program about the Mille Miglia. They kept going about it as a race, its not, its a three day retro run along the old race route. As for that James Martin, talk about doing it all for the wrong reasons, to make a car, that he new zilch about (and rushed the rebuild PPPPPP!!!) worth more money. Stick to your pots and pans making omlets mate. The program makers should have stuck to the guys in the Aston, Alfa and MG. They were having a great time. Tho I like the resigned look the young racer he was using as his navigator (great PR for her) gave, with just a hit of "you twat" thown in

Makes me what to do the Mille Miglia even more tho. The roads are stunning. I think I will have a FIAT 500 or Topolino, and take James's girlfriend as my navigator........... Wink

Well put. What a load of shite that programme was. And that James bloke came across as a complete bell end. Kept on saying it was dream, blah, blah, blah, and then worries he won't be able to make any money when he sells the car. If it was his real dream he would have done it in any car that was eligible......not what his accountant says he can afford.

Really disapointing TV.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 09:29:57 pm »

Nice car, shame about the Prat behind the wheel. the racing driver in the passenger seat should of drove.
I agree, good PR for her.

Good for the other finished, now choose the most expensive resturant in he world lads!

Andy
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 10:25:23 pm »

Just seen it and really enjoyed it. Yeh OK he's a prat but put  Italy, red cars and the Mille Miglia together and it was an ace prog.
I think I'll watch Chris Rea's La Passione yet again to round off the night !!

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
tn*c
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 12:41:00 am »

Just seen it and really enjoyed it. Yeh OK he's a prat but put  Italy, red cars and the Mille Miglia together and it was an ace prog.
I think I'll watch Chris Rea's La Passione yet again to round off the night !!

I'm a big fan of Chris Rea, reminds me of the holidays I had when my dad played it when I was a kid. Shame he has lost the 16CD Set I bought him for Xmas two years ago tho.

Mille Miglia was a good program but they should have used a British car or atleast followed the Yorkshire men around.
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 11:01:31 am »

I thought the programme was a complete and utter load of tosh. What a waste of a beautiful car on an utter w**k*r who has more money that sense, "I'll have to talk to my accountant to see if I can afford it", what a fecking eejit , also what an utter waste of airime, it's a real shame that they didn't spend more time on the actual 'race', stunning cars and the beautiful scenery that the miglia covers, or even some of his mates who chose restaurants and bars to get them thought to the end, they certainly seemed more entertaining than him and his vacant 'model' girlfriend. Martin would be better off entering the Gumball along with all the secondhand car dealers, city boys and bell ends who enter that 'race', he'd fit in better.

Happy New Year everyone.

The Brethren Rock
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 11:45:12 am »

Bit of a shame the program was presented in the way that it was, but I was not expecting much to be honest

The over statement of the cars supposed value and the lie it was a race did neither Martin or the program justice.

More content on his choice of car and its history and the history of the race would have enhanced the program no end.

Quite why he chose, or had chosen for him, the co driver he did for example is a mystery to me, she may have been a very capable driver, but as she was reading the maps a navagator may have been more use?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:54:50 pm »

What a load of cobblers, for the reasons that all have said - what a waste of a nice car on him...the noise sounded rather like a big or little end than a valve.  A little running in before the event would have helped, although for my money though, I really would have expected having paid that much for an engine rebuild, that having a working rev counter and oil pressure gauge would have been part of the deal, as they didn't appear to be working during the short time he was on the run.....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 01:09:15 pm »

Bits were good, but not enough. Mostly disapointing

Could have shown more about the run. Instead of peoples ego's (can't wait to see his girl friends -book/pics  Roll Eyes )

If you look at this list of cars eligible for the run, he could have saved him a bob or two and gone in one of those.

http://www.1000miglia.eu/inglese/partecipare/informazioni/vetture_candidabili.html  (scroll down)

Love the list - eligible cars - 2CV, Rover P4 - 75, even Panard.

But if you had the money you could really go to town, but have the fun is just doing the run - who's got a MGA ?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: