Club Arnage
May 15, 2024, 06:10:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy 21st Birthday....  (Read 8976 times)
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »

....to the pits complex!!  Wink

The pitlane as we know it today was born under a fanfare of much fireworks, pomp and circumstance in 1991.

Just trawling through some old photos and came across these from 1990, the last year of the old pits (sniff, sniff)  Grin

* 01.jpg (282.62 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 503 times.)

* 02.jpg (321.68 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 480 times.)

* 03.jpg (183.89 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 411 times.)

* 04.jpg (217.72 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 489 times.)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 05:03:33 pm »

We went to the fireworks party on the eve of the race in 91.

I have a hazy memory of the silk cut Volvo (or some such estate) doing a drive up the straight by just before the display. Did that happen or am I dreaming.

Cant believe its 21 years ago.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 05:15:19 pm »

I seem to recall it was a "Half Cut"  Volvo some feeble JATO and lots of whistles from the Marshals.

t

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

Ah yes, the Silk Cut Volvo, the stuff of legend! Can't vouch for it's pre-fireworks performance as I was experiencing a drunken hazed view of the aforementioned display from the Maison Blanche campsite. There's a surprise!  Wink

And yes, sadly for us of advancing years, it was 21 years ago!
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:22:35 pm »

Ah.... I remember it (not) well.  I was also viewing the world through rose-tinted eyeballs that evening.  I have this vague recolection of a magnificent laser light show directly from the new complex.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
sceetum
CA Veteran

Team booze n' tabs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 06:58:50 pm »

Ah memories. Great pics Mr Rick.

What have the romans ever done for us?
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:56:30 pm »

Aah the Silk Cut Volvo....followed after its demise (if I remember correctly) by the Silk Cut Cortina estate....or was it the other way round....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 02:16:04 am »

Being on the ledge above those pits was great. The police used to keep an eye out for people smoking. Surprised no one fell off.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:32:36 am »

Being on the ledge above those pits was great. The police used to keep an eye out for people smoking. Surprised no one fell off.

They did!

Also loads of stuff was dropped onto the cars/driver/crew below.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Simon13
CA Veteran

I hate the waiting!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:13 am »

It feels like a lifetime ago.  Look how close you could get to the cars!  No binoculars required!!  Happy memories sitting above the pits during the evening Jaguar stops in 88.
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »

Great pics Rick, thanks for the memories (  well the little I have , Drunk!) then the transformation returning the following year.

Andy
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 03:10:29 pm »

....to the pits complex!!  Wink

The pitlane as we know it today was born under a fanfare of much fireworks, pomp and circumstance in 1991.

Just trawling through some old photos and came across these from 1990, the last year of the old pits (sniff, sniff)  Grin

Yes I seem to remember they set light to a Peugeot too that year.

Great pics!!!! - I have a draw full of these from the 1980's too - wonder if this was the 'Worlds Greatest Motor Races' golden era?? I do have fond memories. But not so much of the 1991 race itself as it was last the time I missed the race. The reason - my son Al - born 23rd June 1991 - he is twenty one this year too and will be there with me and team Monkey again next week.

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 03:20:58 pm »

The first year they used the new pits they had the winners presentation on the stairs which spirals up in the stand. Gave me the opportunity the nip over the walkway they use now and 'borrow' the finishing flag.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »

The first year they used the new pits they had the winners presentation on the stairs which spirals up in the stand. Gave me the opportunity the nip over the walkway they use now and 'borrow' the finishing flag.

Brilliant!!!  Grin

Remember the podium that year well and on the post-race Monday me and one of my mates revisited the temporary podium and re-enacted Mazda's celebrations. There is a photo somewhere....

And yes Monkey, they did use one of the 905s as part of the spectacle .. we were right opposite it at the time (but no photos sadly). And a big Happy 21st To Monkey Jr. My own junior monkey will be making his first appearance at LM next year at the tender age of 15  Smiley
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 07:05:51 pm »

Brilliant!!!  Grin

Remember the podium that year well and on the post-race Monday me and one of my mates revisited the temporary podium and re-enacted Mazda's celebrations. There is a photo somewhere....

And yes Monkey, they did use one of the 905s as part of the spectacle .. we were right opposite it at the time (but no photos sadly). And a big Happy 21st To Monkey Jr. My own junior monkey will be making his first appearance at LM next year at the tender age of 15  Smiley

Thank you Mr Rick I will be sure to pass on your best wishes and wish you and your lad a great trip next year too.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: