Club Arnage
May 11, 2024, 12:29:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petit Le Mans 2005 Who, What, Where and When  (Read 19460 times)
Fax
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 12:20:53 am »

Chris,
Camping at 'Dega is free but fills up quickly.  The first few years I went (1994-95) we drove down after work on Thursday evening (getting there in the wee hours of Friday morning) and we could get a decent location but by our last trip a few years ago, you had to be there by Thursday morning or your where going to have a helluva hike from your campsite to the speedway.  Enjoyable but VERY rowdy camping, especially on Saturday night, seems like everyone has a crate of whiskey and fireworks with them.  I learned about Senna's death when on the Monday morning after the '94 race we went to tour the museum and they had the AP release announcing Senna's passing posted with a black ribbon on the front door of the museum.
Fax
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 01:57:24 am »

Chris:

I would echo Fax's sentiments about 'Dega's camping.  I have not encountered stranger, more hillbilly, nor more friendly (even if occasionally dangerous) folk in all my racing career.

I was adopted by a bunch of Alabama guys at the Brickyard one year who witnessed me do a full on "Jesus Christ" (vomit, drop, lie and get back up again and re-commence drinking).  For some reason they emailed me throughout the year and made firm plans to meet-up at the Spring Race.  Unfortunately their main instruction involved the idea that their camper would have a Southern Flag on it!  After you've been you'll know how comical that is.

Looking forward to catching-up at the Petit!

Dave
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 10:49:07 pm »

Got the impression from Dega's website that there is a charge for camping in some areas. Since we will be arriving late night after Petit, we are going get some kip that night in the car but hope to pitch the tent after the race on Sunday night. Hopefully some people will have left by then, so there may be some space and with luck, the Dega staff won't be bothered about us pitching up since the race has finished. If they hassle us, I'll give them the visiting all the way from England routine and tell them that we need to camp so we can visit the museum in the morning.
Fax
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 03:48:23 am »

Hi Chris,
Last time Dave & I were there about four years ago, they may have charged for camping close to the track (between the main access road and the speedway) but on the other side of the drive it was free.  As I said that was a few years ago and it may have changed since.  ISC are a bunch of greedy bastards (of Ecclestone proportions) so anything they try to charge you for wouldn't surprise me.  I'd definitely work the "We came all the way from England" routine. Dave & I had it down to an art form at Sebring for a few years.  We were brothers from the old country and man do I have a lousy British accent!  Especially after about twenty beers.  They bought it though...
Road Atlanta to Sebring in one week?  Your going from civilization to the twilight zone in six days
Fax
Fax
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 03:50:47 am »

sh*t! Meant Road Atlanta to Talladega...
Some of the things you'll see at Talladega will remind you of Sebring.
Fax
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 12:48:14 pm »

Well, I'm not long back, and lagged almost as much as the plumbing in the loft - and after a quick skip around I see that Dave H is losing the 911. And I bet I can guess why - lifes rich tapestry, second class citizens etc.
At least I'm proud to say I've returned with a new car, so it wasn't all bad. Although if I've got to be honest I'll admit that I'm still not convinced the Koreans have got the hang of western nomencleture yet. Anyway, I've bought a Premature Ejaculation, and it's not at all bad, - it was the best choice in that particular range by a long shot.
I'll let you know how I get on!
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 04:08:08 pm »

Funnily enough, I have been looking at one of these SingSangYong Rectums:

http://www.smotor.lt/index.php?659144949

They do a Maxi-veinas version, it's got piles of torque but the seats are made of vinyl and combined with the ancient live axle and leaf spring suspension, it seems guaranteed to get the Nobby's angry.

Of course, car badge snobs like H won't be satisfied with his run-of-the-mill Premature Ejaculation (is it a two-stroke?), and are looking forward impatiently to October's Tokyo Motorshow. Last year's was particularly memorable with the unveiling of the Mazda Secret Hydeout, the Suzuki Afternoon Tea, the Mitsubishi Mini Active Urban Sandal, the Suzuki Van Van (which isn't a van). Indeed, who can forget previous landmarks such as the Mitsubishi Mum, the Daihatsu D-Bag, the Toyota Synus to name just a few. Personally, I just hope they can top the Mitsubishi Lettuce and the Mazda Bongo Friendee.

And you wonder why no one bought a Rover 400?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Fax
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 03:54:17 pm »

Chris,
I took a look at Talladega's website and looks like some things have changed in the camping areas since we were last there.  Where we usually camped was over in the area they now call "Woods & Water Family Camping "and in S7.  It was never all divided up like that, just one big free-for-all.  Have no idea what the f**k that family camping is all about?  That used to be a fricking zoo in there!  Hate to see "Dega run afoul of PC because it was sheer lunacy.
Fax
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 12:59:05 am »

Ok, Its nearly here, so have any of the Brits got their act together and sorted out a trip to Petit ? Or is it just me ? Andy any plans
Fax
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 04:45:04 am »

Goes without saying that all of us over here are excited as hell, always a tremendous event and a great way to welcome in autumn.  Here's hoping Phil can make it down, wouldn't be the same without having a post-race beer with moose at his campsite.  The ALMS website is having some fun with the Vette-Aston round 3 face-off.  Nice to see that the Zytek is coming over for the Petit as well, that car was fast-as-f**k at Mid-Ohio back in May. Here's the entry list so far.
Fax

* Petit Le Mans.pdf (20.34 KB - downloaded 278 times.)
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 05:02:43 am »

Hi Fax,
          Thanks for that. Yes I am trying to formulate a plan. Changed the brakes yesterday and gwtting the cracked windshield replaced to morrow in case it come down to the driving option however If Kirk comes we will fly downthursday night.
Canada Phil
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 08:18:34 pm »

Nice to see that the Zytek is coming over for the Petit as well, that car was fast-as-f**ck at Mid-Ohio back in May.
Fax
Not to mention at Nurburgring when it won from 44th on the back of the grid. Grin
Fax
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 10:13:35 pm »

Glad to hear your going to make it Phil, as I said it wouldn't be the same without ya.  We'll have to make another trip down to the Vette compound to catch some of the post-race celebrations again Grin
Chris, no doubt the Zytek could easily win this race, got to keep their noses clean for a thousand miles though, tough to do because the race goes down like a twenty lap F3 heat.  At Mid-Ohio they were quick and led but Shimoda got tangled up with a backmarker early on and then Chinton got caught out by the late race drizzle and stuffed it into the barriers in the esses right under Dave H and my noses.
Fax
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 12:30:33 am »

We'll have non of that "drizzle" sh*t now ! Just good old fashioned sunshine thanks ! Afterall, we are sleeping in a tent .
Fax
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2005, 01:08:43 am »

Hey Chris,
Dave, Matt & I are tenting it on Saturday night too, so agreed, no rain dances!  Actually the long range forecast for Atlanta next weekend looks gorgeous, sunny with temps in the low eighties for the whole meeting.  Just glad its not Road Galveston! Rita's looking like a bitch!
Fax
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: