Club Arnage
May 11, 2024, 05:44:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 250 Million Reasons Californians Are Nuts!  (Read 19442 times)
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 02:06:04 am »

So Snoring Rhino what your saying is that Beckham has greater worldwide appeal than Tiger? Hmm, tend doubt it.  At the end of the day, Americans just don't care about soccer, simple as that.  Having a world famous Brit playing here won't change that either.  He may sell a sh**tload of jersey's, but they'll be to England, not here in America.  The one market he will really be a hit with are Latino's.  They are the fastest growing minority in the US and huge soccer enthusiast.  Its a simple as this, the US is full of sporting fans, we love sports, we live for sports, but we love sports that are native to America, played by Americans, here in America.  Like it or loathe it, that's the way it is.
99% of Americans coulnd't give a sh**t that Davis Beckham is a global brand, he's just another Euro soccer player, to someone in Georgia, or Nebraska, or Oregon, or Ohio.  Americans are going to tune into to watch Peyton Manning, Chad Johnson, or Donovan McNabb, not David Beckham.  Frankly American sporting fans just don't give a damn what the rest of the world prefers to watch,  You can argue till your blue in the face, watch want you want, its not us against anyone, we just don't care what anyone else likes, we'll watch what what turns us on, not you.  As Chris said, to each his own (and we are talking about sports here, remember that).
Just telling it the way it is.
Fax

So basically what you're saying is that Americans are unwilling to admit that their national sport is shite and they won't embrace the correct version of the sport, even though the highest paid sportsman in the world (and I thought American Football and Basketball stars were paid too much) is coming to town?

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 02:07:26 am »

So Snoring Rhino what your saying is that Beckham has greater worldwide appeal than Tiger?

I think you'll find that Snoring Rhino is correct here

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 02:11:18 am »

Robspot, we have a bunch of national sports, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey, etc.  Whats your point?  Last time I checked Canadians didn't have any pro soccer teams.  Does this make them third world according to you?
Fax
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 02:23:42 am »

Robspot, we have a bunch of national sports, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey, etc.  Whats your point?  Last time I checked Canadians didn't have any pro soccer teams.  Does this make them third world according to you?
Fax

I've met lots of Canadians and they're very nice, not sure what their lack of pro soccer teams has got to do with anything.

You've illustrated my point very well, thank you. US citizens think they are the governing body in most of the world's sports so it pisses you off when a "non-US sport" hits the headlines. All of the sports listed above are neatly segregated into "periods" which allows you to talk inanely about whichever bullshit interests you at the time. Heaven forbid you should have to concentrate for 45 minutes at a time on an actual game.

Oh well, you can always go back to F1  Roll Eyes

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 02:28:58 am »

Robspot, Beckham is bigger than Tiger?  Once again who cares!
Our version of football is sh*t?  Your opinion?  Who cares! (I'm having fun with this)
We've got Baseball in the spring, summer & autumn.  Football in the Autumn & Winter.  Basketball in the Winter & Spring.  Hockey from Autumn through Spring.  All of which are watched by millions here in North America (remember, the Canadians love American Football too, the CFL draws huge crowds, and we've got the Blue Jays in MLB).
Knock yourselves out with soccer.
Fax
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2007, 02:35:11 am »

Oh where's the original Fax?

He was so much more fun to bait, you're like an almost socially acceptable version  laugh

Come to Le Mans (with a US entourage) and we'll set US v English sport for a final decider.

Otherwise we'll do a rugby v US football tournament and we'll take you apart. Just an offer!

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 02:36:59 am »

US citizens think we're the governing body of world sports?  WTF?  Have another beer Robspot.  Because soccer's not that popluar here.  Yeesh!
I'm ridiculing a LA soccer club for paying a past-his-prime player $250 million,
and debating why I think its a huge waste of money.  And suddenly the US is trying to be the governing body of international sports?
Sleep it off Robspot.
Fax
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2007, 02:44:56 am »

Ok then, how many sports are watched in the US that you don't think you created?

Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 02:48:04 am »

By the way, I've been an "American Football" fan since about 1986. Unfortunately it's always been the Dolphins for me so I haven't enjoyed much victory!

Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2007, 02:50:25 am »

US citizens think we're the governing body of world sports?  WTF?  Have another beer Robspot.  Because soccer's not that popluar here.  Yeesh!
I'm ridiculing a LA soccer club for paying a past-his-prime player $250 million,
and debating why I think its a huge waste of money.  And suddenly the US is trying to be the governing body of international sports?
Sleep it off Robspot.
Fax

YES

Sorry, a truly verbose thread, but, I have to go with... Fax

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 02:51:25 am »

US citizens think we're the governing body of world sports?  WTF?  Have another beer Robspot.  Because soccer's not that popluar here.  Yeesh!
and debating why I think its a huge waste of money.  And suddenly the US is trying to be the governing body of international sports?
Sleep it off Robspot.
Fax

And if you're still feeling hard done by then I'm more than willing to introduce you to the UK version of the UFC. I trust that, even as an American, you can still appreciate the skills required for that

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2007, 02:57:33 am »

Who cares?  It's about what people enjoy watching.  Hockey's a lot more popular at the pro level than soccer here, and we didn't event it.  I'm not trying to take this piss out of anyone or make fun of anyone for liking soccer.
My neice plays college soccer on a lucrative scholorship, but its just never caught on at the pro/spectator level.  When Pele joined the Cosmos in the mid-seventies all of the soccer enthusiast said "this is it, this will bring the game to the big time"  it didn't happen.  In 1994 when we hosted the World Cup and the US team played well all the the soccer enthusiast said "this is it, this will raise the game to the big time" didn't happen.  A few years ago when the US Women won the Womens World Cup the soocer enthusiast siad this is it, this will bring soccer to the big time.  They started a Womens MLS league that lasted about a season and a half.  Why would anyone think that bringing a over-the-hill David Beckham over change things?
Soccer fans over here have much in common with US F1 fans.  There is a small, enthusiastic group of fans.  But they've never caught on with the mainstream sports fans and never will.
Fax
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 03:09:26 am »

Sorry Fax but that's just the attitude we've come to expect from The US guys.

Whether you like it or not, Beckham is the biggest football (or soccer as you call it) superstar in the world to date and there are several companies (adidas at the forefront) who hope he catches in the US.

Whilst I agree he is over the hill for the UK/Euro market he is perfectly poised for the US. I think the US were great at the last world cup and the sooner we can get the greatest sporting audience on the planet on-board the better world sport can become. If you still want to maintain that we have nothing to offer you then I'm afraid you're going to miss out.

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 03:23:28 am »

I'm not for a second denying Beckham is the biggest soccer star on the planet, I'm sure he is. And I'm VERY certain companies like Adidas want to see him catch on here, no doubt about it.  But until soccer can begin attracting our best young athletes to the pro level, its going to remain a second or third class citizen in the US as a spectator sport, and I don't see a thirty-one year old David Beckham suddenly converting a nation largely indifferent to soccer into soocer fans.  The joke already going around is that we hope Beckham got a letter of credit from Bank of America, because this could very well bankcrupt the league trying to pay for his contract.
Fax
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:47:15 am by Fax MKII » Logged
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2007, 04:46:42 am »

I should add Robspot, it seems that some of our post's came online about the same time, unlike most American sports fans I do understand the subtle skills of international football.  But I'm in a large minority.
Fax
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: