Club Arnage
May 10, 2024, 05:14:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Le Mans 2007  (Read 28439 times)
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 11:32:16 am »

Wonderful debate. Reminds me I have to go and buy a better radio for this year Cool
Phil

More importantly remember to buy the batteries for it!  And at least one set of spares!
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 12:07:28 pm »

Wonderful debate. Reminds me I have to go and buy a better radio for this year Cool
Phil

More importantly remember to buy the batteries for it!  And at least one set of spares!

Absolutely - you do not want to get 'les piles' at Le Mans... not a good thing  Wink
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 12:09:03 pm »

Phil

Absolutely - you do not want to get 'les piles' at Le Mans... not a good thing  Wink
Painful, and very expensive at the circuit!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 02:10:34 pm »

I for one am v.grateful and very pleasantly surprised to see that the man himself, who makes it all happen, has taken the time and trouble to read and respond to the thread.  There is a much clearer understanding of the various constraints within which he has to operate, and of his personal altruism in keeping the whole thing going each year.  Rose-tinted spectacles are wonderful things, and the memories they evoke will always be there, and changes imposed by the present day are well understood too by most. 

Just please keep the clarity of information and the humour (within bounds) for the racegoer, whether there or listening because they are unable to be there.   

MG Mark   

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Hindy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 02:15:46 pm »

Hello everyone and thanks for the constructive comments.

As was said after the race last year we have taken the comments of all and we will try to incorporate them into the broadcast this year.

Just to answer a few specific points;

We experimented with numbers only update some years ago and were soundly ripped for it, given the nosiy environment it's too easy to miss the vital information (the number) whereas if the number, car and driver are being mentioned there are effectively three opportunities to identify the entry. Also most people have told us that car numbers alone mean nothing to them as they don't carry a programme. We have already commited to an uniterrupted rundown segment - just don't be complaining when a car goes up in flames as we start it and then we wait 3 mins to mention it! Actually I don't have a problem with that, it's always the case at Le Mans that over 90% of your audience can't see what you are talking about anyway. (They are at home or on different part of track) The car will either still be burning or will be put out when we get to it. Regardless we can still talk about what has happened! One of the many advantages of radio over TV who seem to feel the need to try and cut to everything as it happens...

The ratio of listeners at the track to listeners away from the track is over 10-1 in favour of those not at the track. Interestingly as many UK-based listeners now tune in via Sky satellite as use the Internet link. That's just under half a million UK listeners in total during the week. The bulk of the race week Internet audience (over 1.4 million visited the frontpage of the website and slightly more accessed the webstream as some went to it directly) are from the USA (over 70%) with the UK, Denmark, Japan and Australia making up the Internet top five.

In order to service the TK and Jan fans we have been asked to provide a Danish langauge update every hour. This is being sponsored by Danish companies. It will be about a maximum of 90 seconds per hour.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that the rising costs of staging the radio station - remember it's those costs that pushed publishing giant Haymarket to abandon the service in 2005 - can only be met by increasing the audience which broadly speaking means those away from the circuit as the on-track numbers are relatively consistant each year.

It's also true that while many of us would love to be able to have a similar type of broadcast as in the late 80s and early 90s the bulk of the audience does not remember those days and infact they demand a very much more sophisticated production as the proliferation of slicker sports broadcasts on TV and radio has raised the expectations of our listeners.

Radio Le Mans is run on commercial terms, and therefore sposnors require us to be professional and represent their brand values. We just wouldn't get the required financial support if we let standards slipand ended up sounding like a buch of amateurs. Of course regulations play a big part on advertising, format and content. We have to satisfy several different regulators who legislate across the platforms on which we broadcast and as we are available in so many different territories (103 last year) we have to be mindful of national guidelines too.

Radio Le Mans has evolved since it's early years, no doubt it will continue to do so. Unfortunately this process will not suit everyone and sadly I'm sure that we will leave some people behind. However it's very important that I make clear that now that our group hold the rights, certain essential precepts, some of which were discarded or under threat under previous administations, will be applied.

*Radio Le Mans will provide full race coverage, whenever the cars are on track

*Within the normal broadcasting boundaries of truth, decency and legality, Radio Le Mans will not accept editorial control or pressure for any reason or from any source

*Radio Le Mans will remain free-to-air to our listeners at the track and via the mediums on which we currently broadcast

Sorry this has been slightly longer than I intended... funny how that happens. I'll close with this;

Radio Le Mans was started by a group of dedicated enthusiasts. Big business stepped in and in fairness ensured the continuation of the service through some very lean years in the mid 1990s. However when time got tough again and RLM was no longer a profit centre it has been left to (some of the same) enthusiasts to ensure the survival of the station.

I'd like to thank all of you for your support - for this debate and your comments, whether good bad or indifferent. The fact that RLM can ignite this level of passion form the sporstcar community is one of the examples I use to prove to potential sponsors that the service is still relevant.

Kind regards to all

John Hindhaugh
On behalf of the team at Radio Le Mans
Hindy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 02:25:50 pm »

And by the way please rememebr that the Radio Le Mans shop will be selling radios - for those who forgot, some spiffy raciing gear - Would CA like to sell some t-shirts there?

However the biggest thing you can do to help RLM is to let our sponsors know how much you appreciate their support of the station. use the web links, enter the competitions, let them know that you view their ther products more favourably because of their association with RLM...
Every little helps...

JH
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2007, 02:30:58 pm »

Thank you for taking the trouble to post.

I am sure that I speak for most when I say Le Mans would not be the same without you.

I hope, and I am sure you will, take on board the comments posted and hopefully your broadcasts will be even more informative this year

Good luck for 2007.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2007, 02:49:01 pm »

Hello everyone and thanks for the constructive comments.

We experimented with numbers only update some years ago and were soundly ripped for it, given the nosiy environment it's too easy to miss the vital information (the number) whereas if the number, car and driver are being mentioned there are effectively three opportunities to identify the entry. Also most people have told us that car numbers alone mean nothing to them as they don't carry a programme. We have already commited to an uniterrupted rundown segment

It is really good of you to take the time not just to respond to our ramblings, but to do so in such detail. As I have mentioned a number of times, RLM is part of the fabric of the Worlds Greatest Motor race, and I believe as long as it transmits, it will remain so.

I look forward very much to tuning in again this year and feel the service (and entertainment) you provide will be more valuable to us than ever with the updates that you suggest above.

As for your comments following regarding the sponsors and requesting our support, that is a given from Team Monkey, are you able to let us know who they are now? If you are then I can start hitting their websites straight away, and would be very happy to do so Grin

Good luck for 2007 and the future

Monkey (Simon)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2007, 03:05:17 pm »

You have let us know what we can do to support and we'll do it.  In spadefulls.  Buying RLM radios and hitting the website/sponsor's links is the least we can do.  Moreover, there is a wealth of generally unco-ordinated and varied talents amongst the regulars on CA and out at La Sarther, so if there's anything else that is needed, just shout and someone can probably help.

MG Mark

"Dear Sir, I 'd like you to know that we all use Jiffy condoms exclusively because of Radio Le Mans"....sorry, just couldn't resist that one, it was such a vintage year....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2007, 03:21:21 pm »

Thanks for the response Hindy.  I think we're all trying to give some feedback, although some it may appear more destructive than constructive. People expect a lot nowadays.

I'm sure that this year will be better than ever.  And remember, we'd be lost without you.

You must be the only bloke at Le Mans that never has to buy a beer Grin

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2007, 03:56:27 pm »

In spite of the odd complaint, I think we all would miss RLM very much if it weren't about, even if we don't listen in the whole time (we have the 'poo bar to visit etc!).  It's great that Hindy feels he should take the time to put his side of the thing in person.  Good on you, I say.  Websites will be visited asap as requested.  Smiley

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2007, 04:08:59 pm »

Radio Le Mans has evolved since it's early years, no doubt it will continue to do so. Unfortunately this process will not suit everyone and sadly I'm sure that we will leave some people behind

I would like to to echo the sentiments of those who have posted since your reply by thanking you for taking the trouble to do so - well done.

I will continue to listen to RLM with interest but do feel sad that those being left behind are those for whom the station was, I assume, originally set-up - the trackside spectators.

Armed with the figures you have provided in your detailed response to our debate, I accept that RLM is run on commercial terms and its direction will, inevitably, be dictated by the wants and needs of those commercial partners.  Similarly I understand that you will tailor your broadcast to the majority audience.  Unfortunately, for me at least, the advent of internet and satellite broadcasting means that the majority is no longer in that certain part of France we all know and love so much.

Thank you for all that you and your colleagues have done over the years for the event and good luck with RLM in the future.

One final request though...  We may be now the minority of your audience but please do not completely forget the needs of the sun-burnt masses in the tribunes and out in the country down Mulsanne and Arnage way.

Oh yes, one final, final thing.  Are you absolutely sure you had a respresentative sample when asking about the number or name thing?  Surely without a programme to hand it is easier for the spectator to spot a number on a the side of a car than a driver's name.  (Sorry my market research background has started to come to the fore.  I will go now)

Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2007, 04:38:30 pm »

Thanks for the detailed response Hindy.

I wonder what Radios you are doing this year, but it would be better if they either had a ditial dial, or self-seek the station.  I got some like these http://www.yesgifts.co.uk/Saturn-Auto-Scan-Radios.html for a website I run.

Have used them at Le Mans for 2 years now and they work well, although there is no dial so you don't know which station they are initially tuned into.  But as they self seek the station they obtain and hold the signal better.  Depending on budget there might be a better version available.

I note that Hindy asks about selling CA T-shirts, which is not particularly easy for us, but I do find it difficult to get nice T-Shirts at Le Mans or even a nice sweatshirt or similar.  Especially in the cooler years! 
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2007, 05:18:53 pm »

.......... but I do find it difficult to get nice T-Shirts at Le Mans or even a nice sweatshirt or similar.......

Polite cough......see http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=6502.msg85169#msg85169

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2007, 05:32:57 pm »

And by the way please rememebr that the Radio Le Mans shop will be selling radios - for those who forgot, some spiffy raciing gear
JH

I happen to have a RLM grey polo shirt - with a little red/blue line drawing of a car, circa ......umm..... possibly even late 20th century!!!

Should be good for a while yet tho (which is not to say I will miss a shopping opportunity). Top quality of course Smiley

F

(I also have a Toyota GT One t-shirt brand new in the bag from around the same time, its a bit "snug" tho!)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:37:34 pm by Fran » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: