Club Arnage
May 05, 2024, 08:28:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Absolutely nothing to do with motor sports.  (Read 4238 times)
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:59:50 pm »

Does anyone have any experience of open learning or the open university???

I've been a joiner with my local authority for nearly 7 years now and the urge is growing stronger to try and better myself career wise but in these uncertain times it may be wise to stay in a job that is relatively secure. So I've been thinking about studying at home for (if my tiny brain can handle it) a degree in engineering of some sort,or something sticking with the construction side of things anyway.

So if anyone has had any experience of this or any advice it would be a big help.

Mike

They have lumps of what round the back???
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:22:05 pm »

Mike, I've just done an OU short course (ten weeks).  You need to be well disciplined as to setting aside time to study etc - could be 10 hours plus a week.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:48:19 pm »

I've been studying on and off with the OU since 2003 mainly doing maths with a bit of engineering.

I find the courses really good, the course material they send you is excellent and really easy to follow. As Steve says you really need to put aside regular time each week to get the best out of it.

If you have any more specific questions then please ask.

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:09:30 pm »

Yea

Did a OU foundation course years ago  (did not carry on due to work - idiot I am)

Was great, should have carried on, will do in a few years time.

The work is well layed out in the books and information is 1st class. The bit I liked was at the begining of each chapter/section told you what you had to know by the end of it. So made it easier.

The foundation course is well designed for people who have been out of education for a while. Went to a few local group meetings - found them a waste of time, but think that was just the area I went to. The summer school (which you do have to do) was fun, the one I went to was good, learned a lot, met people (when you realise that everyone struggles at time) and drank alot.

So all I can say is go for it.

Oh - when I was on the summer school, there was an old lady who had been doing OU for years, just kept changing the subject when she got bored. Just did it for fun and keep her mind active

Mike, I've just done an OU short course (ten weeks).  You need to be well disciplined as to setting aside time to study etc - could be 10 hours plus a week.
This is true -Does not sound much, but is hard to find the time sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:11:59 pm by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »

Did anyone notice that the James May 20th Century series is an OU production Shocked  You know, the one where he builds a giant train set Cool and has a ride in a Eurofighter Cool (completely upstaging Clarkson by not throwing up) Grin Grin Grin

Can you find me a course that includes trips in planes, and train sets.  I might even settle for just watching the telly (do you still have to record the programs at 3 am?)

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:01:17 pm »

Cheers for the advice guys. The only problem i have is finding the 10 hours a week but the courses im looking at dont start till july/august time so ive got plenty of time to clear the diary a bit. After a bit of a heated debate with the boss it appears the work may even provide some funding as long as i stay within the council for a few years. Im starting to look forward to learning again Cheesy
Mike

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:48:46 am »

Sorry Mike, I'm late to this topic.

I entered a 'full time' course remotely at Bath Uni in a Maters that I had a lower degree in. Trouble was I was working as well. So 40 working, 40+ study, 15 travel. Not much time left.

When the enormaty of it struck, I continued untill 'personal' conflictions became serious.  I flunked after 2 years into a 3 years Masters.

Before you attempt it, check the suggested 'hours' for study and submissions.

Have you a 'quiet' room to study in?  This is very important. Family need to know that at certain times there is no disturbance.

I wish you luck mate.

I will do it again, but when completed I'll be retired, so whats the point.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 05:33:08 pm »

Cheers Leftie. Im at the stage with my current job now that i think i need to try something new. Im in the building trade and its a dead end just now. I think if its going to take 10+ hours per week i will just have to find the time.

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: