Club Arnage
May 14, 2024, 10:50:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans 1975  (Read 11826 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2004, 05:37:40 pm »

What was HIGHLY unusual about the #29 Porsche 911 RSR that started and ran only 3 laps of the 1975 race?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 07:11:20 pm »

Hey Matt,
You've caught me at work, I'll need to get home and dig out "Porsche at Le Mans".  The US Superbike Championship has a doubleheader at Mid-Ohio this weekend, some buddies and I are going to go up for the Saturday show.  Going to see if I can get Dave over for the afternoon.  Anything I can pick up for you while I'm there?  A new Ducati 999 perhaps?
John
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:44:51 pm »

Bollocks! You'll have me rumbled then, John. I too have a well-thumbed copy of Dominique Pascal's magnum opus, "Porsches at Le Mans", which is where this titbit came from. Very amusing little footnote, it is!
I wish I could make it to the Mid-Ohio Superbike round, but sadly I'm washing my hair that day.
Yeah, pick me up a Duke, if it's not too much aggro - an MV will do, if the 999 is a hassle.....

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 07:55:06 pm »

No sweat Matt,
One MV coming up, I'll throw in an Arai Agostini replica to boot.
Seriously, wish I could have given you and Dave a better heads up on this MO trip. Its all kind of a last second thing and it's just for the day, it all really hinged on the weather.  No one was interested in going if it was supposed to be boiling hot (which it usually is) or pissing down rain (which it usually is).  The forecast looks inviting so a couple of local buds want to go up, they've never seen the leather clad warriors before.
John
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 09:59:25 pm »

I have No idea what happened in 1975, i wasnt even born

But Fax - Are you watching American Supers , and how much would entry cost ?

Oh and I'll have an Aprillia Mille RSV-R, if yiou could also freight it ot me, i know DHL will give me 20% off at the moment.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Fax
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 10:13:05 pm »

Hi Robbo,
Yes its the AMA US Supers (plus the usual Supersports, Formula Extreme, etc)  Its $45 for a weekend pass at the gate, $15 for paddock pass.  Sat. only is $25 or $35 for Sunday only.  Really a pretty good deal.  Check out www.midohio.com for the low-down.
Go Bostrom Boys!
John
Fax
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 11:20:25 pm »

Matt,
That is f**k*ng classic!  About pissed myself laughing when I read that.   I keep waiting for that to happen at the Rolex,
with that many cars on the grid how in the hell would you keep track of who's supposed to be there and who's not.
Next year Truckosorous is going to make a few laps before they catch on.
Robbo,
No problem with the Aprillia, the paddock's a busy place, no one will notice it missing.
John
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 11:28:20 pm »

Matt,
That is f**cking classic!  About pissed myself laughing when I read that.   I keep waiting for that to happen at the Rolex,
with that many cars on the grid how in the hell would you keep track of who's supposed to be there and who's not.
Next year Truckosorous is going to make a few laps before they catch on.
Robbo,
No problem with the Aprillia, the paddock's a busy place, no one will notice it missing.
John

And the answer is...............Huh?
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 11:29:07 pm »

Thanks for that  Cry  

Steve East Anglian cobras

rcutler
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 12:33:53 am »

Thanks for that  Cry  

My Parents had not even got married. I was the first child of theres but was not even thought about for another 5 years. See you all at the classic.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 10:23:28 am »

Verily,
According to the gospels (Snap-On, v12:2), the number 29 car in 1975 was a Lola T292 (DNF), so lo, it seems our Lord performed a miracle. Not happy with water into wine and fish paste sandwiches, he must have reckoned, in a sort of mazy holy moment, that Lola's should be turned into 911's.
Rev.H
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 10:26:42 am by BigH » Logged

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 10:38:39 am »

Verily,
According to the gospels (Snap-On, v12:2), the number 29 car in 1975 was a Lola T292 (DNF), so lo, it seems our Lord performed a miracle. Not happy with water into wine and fish paste sandwiches, he must have reckoned, in a sort of mazy holy moment, that Lola's should be turned into 911's.
Rev.H

"Magic our Morris"

Steve East Anglian cobras

saveloy
CA Veteran

Quality remains, Time passes

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 03:10:28 pm »

H has god on his side now.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 03:14:44 pm »

Firstly, let me apologise. I had no idea that a condition of posting on this board was that I had to pre-determine the age of all possible readers and ensure nothing is discussed that pre-dates the youngest whipper-snapper. The race has been running since 1923, for fucks sake.
Rev H - your epistle is as wrong as your spiritual diatribe. Being a committed and enthusiastic satanist, I am somewhat offended by your missionary position on this forum. Be gone, foul evangelist!
Steve - you are a quitter. For one as adept as you, at the snappy internet search, I am thoroughly disappointed.
For the rest of you (who obviously don't give a rats ass), the answer follows - and is quoted from the afformentioned authority, "Porsches at Le Mans", which is second only to Razzle in my library of on-bog reading matter.
"Twenty seven Porsches start - sixteen finish.
.....an interesting footnote is that, in fact 28 Porsches started: an Equadorian Carrera, #29, which had not qualified, somehow slipped into the starting line-up and had done three laps before the organisers spotted the car and stopped it!"  

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 03:17:11 pm »

Steve - you are a quitter. For one as adept as you, at the snappy internet search, I am thoroughly disappointed.

Apologies Mr Brown - I should have been levelling my disdain at JPC - I do beg your pardon, Steve......

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: