Club Arnage
May 13, 2024, 01:20:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Road Success  (Read 26371 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2005, 10:38:44 pm »

Hi guys,

In one of those seemingly rare moments of time these days, just to let you know that the blue beastie had its first competitive outing in Radnor forest weekend before last as it was the first round of the British Off Road Championship this year which we have entered.   End result with our diminutive 2.5 concrete mixer turbo diesel up against the big boys running 3.5s, 4.6s and 5.7s was a creditable 18th overall from about 56 entrants, and the extra points from a delightful class win leave us placed 10th in the overall championship standings after the first round.   Very pleasing stuff, and for those that can remember a few months, who kindly provided advice on uprating the automatic gearbox - thanks very much for the steers and contacts.   Connecting the kickdown cable, feeding it with Red Line ATF fluid and breathing on the torque convertor served up an absolute treat - goes like a scalded cat with a firework up its ar*e off the line, pulls like a train in all the gears. including the high ratio ovverdrive fourth.   So job's a goodun.   A couple of pictures of us in action are at:

http://www.concept-photos.co.uk/gallery/folderview.asp?gallery=motor%20sport&folder=british%20off%20road%20champs%20radnor%202005%20page%201&page=1#gal

http://www.concept-photos.co.uk/gallery/folderview.asp?gallery=motor%20sport&folder=british%20off%20road%20champs%20radnor%202005%20page%202&i=0019.jpg&page=4#gal

Future championship rounds are on both Sat and Sun at each event, which are at Ellesmere in early June, Lockerbie in early July, Tunbridge Wells in September and Driffield in Yorkshire at the end of October - details of dates and directions to the venues are at http://www.britishoffroadchampionship.co.uk/, so if anyone is interested, come and say hi in the paddock to us in number 30.   All the best for now and looking forward to Le Mans in the MGA,

Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 11:08:52 pm »

Well done Mark, will there be an off-road course at the track day?  Wink

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 11:20:09 pm »

Well done Mark, will there be an off-road course at the track day?  Wink

Given the general lack of gradients in East Anglia, only for those that decide to investigate the scenery around the track on unplanned excursions............. Wink

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 02:19:47 am »

Maybe I'll catch up with you at Tunbridge Wells in September after LM Mark. We can always lend you Trayboy if you wish as his specific gravity will definately help your traction.
Rusty

The Brethren Rock
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 03:44:08 pm »

Mark, will try to make it to Tunbridge event if possible. Can't see any CA stickers on your beast tho!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 05:56:37 pm »

Mark, will try to make it to Tunbridge event if possible. Can't see any CA stickers on your beast tho!

Andy - more to do with the fact that (aside from dealing with the usual grmelins the day before the event) the paint had only been drying the night before - one day we will learn that the 4 months from season end to season start all need to be used to do stuff, rather than spending the first couple of months just pondering what to do next....... Grin Grin

Mark

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 11:28:36 pm »

Hi all,

I know that we are all concentrating/building up to the great event, but if anyone fancies a change by catching Round 2 of the championship and is in the area, we will be at Lodgewood Park (formerly Park Hall Farm) near Ellesmere (between Shrewsbury and Wrexham) this weekend, racing on the Saturday and Sunday.   Actual location is to head north from Ellesmere towards Wrexham - one mile out from the derestriction signs turn right towards Penley, from which point the turnings will be signposted.   Car number 30 is us, so if you come, do trundle over and say hi in the paddock.   All the best,

Mark

Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 09:25:02 am »

Would you come next march at le Mans for a demonstration of your beast at our 4th 4Wd festival ?  Cheesy

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 03:41:44 pm »

Hi all,

Well, the BORC Round 2 was an entertaining weekend in some nice weather over at Ellesmere - thanks to Gordon from CA who called by and had a chat - nice to see you and thanks for your support.   The course was a mixture of fast field sections, some varied woodland, and one forest section where the tracks were covered in bark and wood chippings that rutted up into unpredictable humps/dips and "washboards".   The latter made for some interesting flying lessons at speed in mid-forest, tested the suspension to say the least, and went well beyond acceptable limits of being shaken around in the car!   Overall, a slightly disappointing finish, with 2nd in class and 25th overall from 54 starters, caused by scoring a maximum time on one round, where we lost around five and a half minutes.   Our ignition power just cut out completely part way round on the second run out of ten, leaving us pissed off and stranded until we traced it eventually to the internals of the switch breaking (thanks a bunch Demon Tweeks!).   Back on course, we managed to make up time hand over fist to get back up the board and one more run would have secured a second class win, but that's racing unfortunately.   Anyway, a simple enough problem to fix and at least it wasn't major enough to stuff up the whole round.   Next round up near Lockerbie in Scotland on the first weekend in July, but we'll all have been to LE Mans by then - Hurrah!!!

MG Mark

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 03:43:01 pm »

Would you come next march at le Mans for a demonstration of your beast at our 4th 4Wd festival ?  Cheesy

Gilles,

Sounds interesting - please PM me some more details about the event.

MG Mark

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 03:49:19 pm »

BUGGER!!! Why didn't I read this earlier.  ???And  I was in Shrewsbury over the weekend!  Sad

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 04:01:28 pm »

BUGGER!!! Why didn't I read this earlier.  ???And  I was in Shrewsbury over the weekend!  Sad

Andy,

Sorry -  didn't think of posting a reminder until late on Thursday evening - were you and the mighty Commer at the vintage car show thing we saw signs for near Shrewsbury?   Piccy of us on one of the forest sections to show you what you missed......

Mark

* ellesmere.jpg (135.15 KB, 1098x768 - viewed 322 times.)

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 04:37:35 pm »

Mark, she's a beauty no mistake!

No, didn't hear about the classic car show either. I was up there staying with my brother for the weekend. He is a 4x4 nut too, although his is a bit bigger than yours!

* fordcounty.jpg (68.08 KB, 800x530 - viewed 316 times.)

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 05:30:56 pm »

Andy,

Now that is a tractor.......tyres like that would be nice but sadly we have to run with a control tyre.   Front view of the beastie exiting one of the wood sections yesterday is below - beauty is pretty definitely in the beholder though Roll Eyes.   Shame you misssed it - never mind, tunbrisdge wells is on September.

Mark

* ellesmere1.jpg (42.93 KB, 945x764 - viewed 270 times.)

Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 07:17:25 pm »

Yes it certainly was an interesting days motor sport, a shame you never got the class win Mark. I trust it wasn't the car I helped push back onto its wheels that robbed you, if it was I would have taken longer to tip it back on all four!!! Hope to see you in the Poo bar on Saturday, Gordon.

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: