Club Arnage
May 13, 2024, 11:02:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breakdown recovery in France........  (Read 8724 times)
Tubs

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2005, 08:59:38 am »

As a responsible citizen of the United Kingdom, I have always taken out (but never needed) AA 5 Star European Breakdown Assistance when driving in France. But, for the first time (since becoming responsible!) I plan to take a car older than the stipulated 10 or 11 years the AA allows for this service.

Now, I have never broken down in France, not so much as a puncture, but there is a law which states that on my way to or from  Le Mans next year I shall find myself stranded at the roadside with a broken car. I'm not too bothered about the return leg, but if I miss Wednesday qualifying I shall throw my toys.

So, is there a company out there which will give me peace of mind?
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 09:26:00 am »

The ACO do vehicle recovery but not much more. They will recover you to the local garage. There may be one or two other things, but it's nothing like AA 5*. But you do get your race and camping tickets cheaper (but no preferential treatment). About £60 I think, coverage is France and Belgium. Oh, and (I underatand) no English speaking call centre.

I had a feeling that ADAC (German) did breakdown cover across Europe but I can't find evidence of that on their website. I think for the full piece (recovery to UK etc) you would need to be with a UK based organisation.

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 09:31:26 am »

There is some info on ADAC here http://tinyurl.com/8h2ty

Maybe they do cover France after all, but check before buying!
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 10:29:34 am »

Forget the ACO cover it is useless and all they will do is recover you to the nearest garage and that could be the opposite way you want to be going and low loaders to caen or wherever arnt cheap

Bring on the low flyers
SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 10:45:25 am »

I must confess and hold my hands up, i did not have a roadside assistance a couple of years ago and yes the drive plate went. I was and still am a member of the ACO and called them up. They put me through to an english speaking young lady who was very helpful and organised to get my car recovered to a local garage. She also informed me that i could get a discounted hire car with the reference number she gave me. My brother drove me to the nearest Avis depot and i picked up a replacement. Drove it the remaining 150 miles, well teared the arse out of it trying to keep up with my brothers porker and deposited it at the train station. We thought we would push our luck and used the reference number again to get us a car to get back to Calais.

I found that the ACO breakdown could not do enough to help me get to the race. it was a good service for what you paid. Not so sure about the dodgy garage that recovered the car i am sure he double charged me for storing the car for 10 days till i went back with a trailor and repatriated it to the UK.

Never leave home now without a full euro package now, i used International Recovery this year but they only cover vehicles up to 10 years old now.

Andy

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 11:23:08 am »

I always used to take out RAC 5 Star, which with a caravan cost a fortune.  The first year I didn't (in 40 trips to France in total ) I had a wheel bearing break up (but limped home).  Then I had a ten year old car so couldn't get cover, so joined the ACO, and at least had some peace of mind.  Now what do I do?

I suspect walking to the nearest bar and looking pitiful may work - "Mon Peugeot est mort"  At least I'll find spares

If anyone has the answer, let me know. It may be not to worry - the mileage in France is only like driving to Yorkshire

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 11:26:56 am »

Wahaaay!!! Civilisation. Of sorts!

As a responsible citizen of the United Kingdom, I have always taken out (but never needed) AA 5 Star European Breakdown Assistance when driving in France

As a responsible citizen, and as everything I own is at least 10 years old, I always take along a comprehensive 5 Star Metaxa Brandy in case of breakdowns. You just can't beat it, it'll take you anywhere.

As for the ACO cover, they don't do it anymore, I've just seen my renewal papers and there's no mention of it, or any pictures of what looks like a serial killer in a hi-vi jacket lurking in a Citroen van.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 03:42:10 pm »

..........I always take along a comprehensive 5 Star Metaxa Brandy in case of breakdowns. You just can't beat it...............
I'm sorry but you can beat it, except for stripping varnish.

Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 07:24:44 pm »

These people offer cover for cars over 10 years old.
Usual disclaimers.
https://www.britanniarescue.com/products/
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 11:55:18 pm »

Hi,

If I remember correctly when I had a car older than 10 years, god I loved it, I used www.insureanadgo.com

M...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Tubs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 08:25:20 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions! Smiley

I'd assumed it would be more difficult to obtain cover for older vehicles. Best price I have found from companies who give online quotes was from http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/apply.htm who offered cover from 14-19 June for what I consider to be a very reasonable £35.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 09:43:15 pm »

Magic.  For twelve days the AA want £60 + £45 for the caravan.  This lot want £28 (car under 10 years - caravan free)

Rich - Team Gulp Racing
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 03:46:51 pm »

I've been taking the Porsche down for the last few years - it's now 22 years old and I still buy cover from the AA. It usually costs about £40 and I tell them I'm in the porker club. I couldn't say whether the cover is 5star but includes repatriation of the car, and passengers, hire car, accomodation if needed, etc.

A friend who has a similar Porsche filled up with some dodgy fuel on the way back from the race a few years ago.  The injectors blocked up and the car finally spluttered to a halt in the middle of the tunnel up the hill out of Rouen! I tried to tow him out, and we did ok until the tow rope snapped - a bit f***ing scarey in a two lane tunnel with trucks screaming past on a Monday morning.

The AA arranged for his car to go to the Porsche Centre in Rouen, who couldn't fix it before closing time, so the AA arranged a Merc taxi from Rouen to Calais, foot passenger tickets for two on the ferry (they had tunnel tickets but no car). When they arrived in Dover a taxi collected them and took one guy to Milton Keynes and the other to Gloucestershire. The car arrived home on a low loader a week later (with all their kit safely inside - and smelling quite nice!).

Not bad for £40?

Team Gulp Racing     - Established 1997

Le Mans 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...
DavidsDad
CA Veteran

It's too early, switch off the a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 10:25:05 pm »

Fantastic!

All I need is the porker, then!

Roll Eyes

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: